Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 buying is a unique experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A salesman in a fancy Tesla showroom telling you to go on Turo to find someone renting out a Model 3 for $50/day (in reality, more like $160/day) and check the car out that day.

Checkout Tesloop. I think they have some M3's for one way trip between LAX and Palm Springs or San Diego for like $59 one way. I guess it would be 2x that if you want to come back. :p

Century City mall also has a M3 other then Fashion Island if you just want to sit in one before you get yours.

What types of doc images need to be uploaded? Just wanting to be prepared.. thanks!
Titleholder's driver license, and titleholder's current proof of insurance (it need not show the Model 3 on there, just that you have an insurance policy). I don't recall any others but I'm sure people will pile on if I've forgotten anything. Mine was a no-trade, cash purchase so perhaps there are documents to pre-load related to trades or financing that I am not aware of. I found the process to be extraordinarily simple, and once taking delivery I signed maybe five sheets of paper consuming maybe 60 seconds of my life, and then got my car. Comparing the purchase and delivery process to the usual dealership experience means that I will never again purchase a car from a dealer. No grind when buying from Tesla. Zero grind. Zero friction. That's an hour of my life I got back right there. Joy.

So, three questions.
I bought my Nissan LEAF sight unseen at the end of 2011. Being in Atlanta, there simply weren't any LEAFs in the east yet. So I put down a deposit, paid sticker, and drove it the day I took title to it. As opposed to Model 3, I did take my new LEAF for a test drive before completing the purchase, and the deposit was refundable. But it was a leap of faith of sorts, particularly the early-adopter penalty of paying sticker for a LEAF. All good though ($12500 in tax credits back then), and 6.33 years into the LEAF ownership experience it is the most reliable and least expensive car I have ever owned. I don't expect Model 3 to touch either of those criteria, but I do expect Model 3 to be more fun than the LEAF, as well as enable me to road trip in an EV.

But is is freaking weird to be buying a $44K car I have not laid my eyes on in person, much less sat in.

I planned to buy my first S2000 that way back in 1999. Per CPI Inflation Calculator the $35K back then is equivalent to $52K now.

Sadly my CRX was broken into before the S2000 was available - there was so damage to the dash (they failed to steal the radio) that my insurance company totaled it. I couldn't be without a car that long, so ended up getting a used del Sol, which I traded in on a couple years later on a 2002 S2000.

Lucky/unlucky me in that I got the error messages early on, just after submitting my credit card info (which still shows as my default payment method for future charges). I would have been much more upset if I had gone through all the subsequent steps to complete the order and THEN gotten the error...try again message! The Tesla rep made it sound like no orders were getting through. I guess they don't need my money...

Lucky you to have successfully made it through to completion. Congrats!

BTW - to add insult to injury when I was leaving the gym this afternoon parked near my little electric orange Fiat was a brand new red Model 3 with the aero wheel covers removed...just like mine will (eventually) be. It looked beautiful...until I keyed it to vent my frustration (KIDDING!).

• Funny
Reactions: shrspeedblade
I used to ride sportbikes. It's rare to be able to ride one before you buy it because so many people have damaged them. So, I bought three over the years based only on magazine/online reviews, word of mouth, & sitting on them in the showroom. I was very happy all three times & I found the reviews to be pretty accurate so it makes me fairly comfortable to rely on that again.

It is a big purchase though. I generally only buy cars 2-3 years old to let the first owner take the worst of the depreciation hit. But, the tax credit (+ another $5,000 from the state of Colorado) makes that a lot easier to swallow.

I think this is the most excited I've been over a car since my first one at the age of 16. A bit irrational but I don't think it's a bad decision on the practical side so I'm just having fun pining for it right now. This forum helps my confidence in the decision. I ordered on 4/7 so the wait is on for a VIN... then the wait for delivery.

I used to ride sportbikes. It's rare to be able to ride one before you buy it because so many people have damaged them. So, I bought three over the years based only on magazine/online reviews, word of mouth, & sitting on them in the showroom. I was very happy all three times & I found the reviews to be pretty accurate so it makes me fairly comfortable to rely on that again.

It is a big purchase though. I generally only buy cars 2-3 years old to let the first owner take the worst of the depreciation hit. But, the tax credit (+ another $5,000 from the state of Colorado) makes that a lot easier to swallow.

I think this is the most excited I've been over a car since my first one at the age of 16. A bit irrational but I don't think it's a bad decision on the practical side so I'm just having fun pining for it right now. This forum helps my confidence in the decision. I ordered on 4/7 so the wait is on for a VIN... then the wait for delivery.
Great points! We are (almost) two peas in a pod. I too went through exactly the same sportbike phase in my 20's and now that you've brought back those fond memories I realize that this is probably a similar adult version. My lust for the fast, beautiful and yet still practical machines out weighted the obvious downside...tickets, accidents, expense, inability to test ride first. My Model 3 experience (so far) has been a mirror to yours in many ways. I've had two years to weigh the pros and cons of a Tesla purchase vs more "practical" choices. Until I finally pulled the trigger yesterday my frugal side had a slight lead. It wasn't hard to lay down a $1,000 refundable deposit to keep the dream alive but committing well over $50k is another matter! I've made a few auto purchases in the past that were somewhat similar but the stakes were lower. Unlike you I'm attracted to new and somewhat unique cars knowing full well I'm paying a premium to satisfy my lust. My first model year Infiniti G35 and Lexus IS350 purchases were good examples. Since then practicality has reigned with my current 9 year old Jetta SportWagen TDI (VW buying back this summer) and leased Fiat 500e...my $95/month electric go-cart getting turned in this June. With two cars soon departing and $15k coming from VW at least the timing is right for the Model 3! Like you I've never been this excited about a car before but that excitement is still tempered by my practical side making the final decision much more difficult.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and to others here for helping me along the way!

Great points! We are (almost) two peas in a pod. I too went through exactly the same sportbike phase in my 20's and now that you've brought back those fond memories I realize that this is probably a similar adult version. My lust for the fast, beautiful and yet still practical machines out weighted the obvious downside...tickets, accidents, expense, inability to test ride first. My Model 3 experience (so far) has been a mirror to yours in many ways. I've had two years to weigh the pros and cons of a Tesla purchase vs more "practical" choices. Until I finally pulled the trigger yesterday my frugal side had a slight lead. It wasn't hard to lay down a $1,000 refundable deposit to keep the dream alive but committing well over $50k is another matter! I've made a few auto purchases in the past that were somewhat similar but the stakes were lower. Unlike you I'm attracted to new and somewhat unique cars knowing full well I'm paying a premium to satisfy my lust. My first model year Infiniti G35 and Lexus IS350 purchases were good examples. Since then practicality has reigned with my current 9 year old Jetta SportWagen TDI (VW buying back this summer) and leased Fiat 500e...my $95/month electric go-cart getting turned in this June. With two cars soon departing and $15k coming from VW at least the timing is right for the Model 3! Like you I've never been this excited about a car before but that excitement is still tempered by my practical side making the final decision much more difficult.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and to others here for helping me along the way!

LOL. I agree. "Two peas in a pod." I'm less practical/frugal than I made it sound. My previous (current until the TM3 arrives) is a Wrangler Rubicon with all the off-road upgrades. It was NOT a practical/frugal purchase. Factoring in repairs, upgrades, tires & poor fuel economy on the Wrangler, I expect the TM3 to either cost me the same or less over the long run. But, prior to the Wrangler I was all about bang for the buck within my budget. Luckily, my budget has increased over the years which is why either a Wrangler or a TM3 is even an option.

The purchase price of the Model 3 that I configured was almost $60K!!! :eek: (I went nuts and ordered EAP & FSD). That's a lot more than the purchase price of the Wrangler at $35K new (in 2012) which was by far the most expensive car I've ever purchased. I've spent thousands (maybe $8-10K) on upgrades for the Jeep and I seem to have at least one or two $800-1000 repair bills per year. Add $4-500 ea. tires that only have about 1 year of tread left and 14 mi/gal and it really gets expensive. Everything is relative so coming from the Wrangler, I had to decide that the new car wasn't going to hurt my budget. Comparing the Tesla, with the $7500 Fed. and $5000 Colorado tax credits, 126 mpge, and expected low maintenance + warranty and it's pretty close to break even on my long-term budget.

Our other car is a 2011 Infiniti G37x. Got HUGE bang for the buck out of that car. They're very reliable and they depreciate like crazy over the first few years so a 3ish year old one is around half the price of a brand new one. A 5-6 year old one is about 25-30% the price of a new one. And they hold up. It's been very low maintenance and it's still a great car. I can't get enough of the motor and it handles well enough to be really fun. I love that car and I think we got good value for what it is but the real practical/frugal decision would have been a used Hyundai or something similar for less than $10K.

LOL. I agree. "Two peas in a pod." I'm less practical/frugal than I made it sound. My previous (current until the TM3 arrives) is a Wrangler Rubicon with all the off-road upgrades. It was NOT a practical/frugal purchase. Factoring in repairs, upgrades, tires & poor fuel economy on the Wrangler, I expect the TM3 to either cost me the same or less over the long run. But, prior to the Wrangler I was all about bang for the buck within my budget. Luckily, my budget has increased over the years which is why either a Wrangler or a TM3 is even an option.

The purchase price of the Model 3 that I configured was almost $60K!!! :eek: (I went nuts and ordered EAP & FSD). That's a lot more than the purchase price of the Wrangler at $35K new (in 2012) which was by far the most expensive car I've ever purchased. I've spent thousands (maybe $8-10K) on upgrades for the Jeep and I seem to have at least one or two $800-1000 repair bills per year. Add $4-500 ea. tires that only have about 1 year of tread left and 14 mi/gal and it really gets expensive. Everything is relative so coming from the Wrangler, I had to decide that the new car wasn't going to hurt my budget. Comparing the Tesla, with the $7500 Fed. and $5000 Colorado tax credits, 126 mpge, and expected low maintenance + warranty and it's pretty close to break even on my long-term budget.

Our other car is a 2011 Infiniti G37x. Got HUGE bang for the buck out of that car. They're very reliable and they depreciate like crazy over the first few years so a 3ish year old one is around half the price of a brand new one. A 5-6 year old one is about 25-30% the price of a new one. And they hold up. It's been very low maintenance and it's still a great car. I can't get enough of the motor and it handles well enough to be really fun. I love that car and I think we got good value for what it is but the real practical/frugal decision would have been a used Hyundai or something similar for less than $10K.

The Wrangler is a great toy, especially if you live in Colorado! We're not that far apart after all. I omitted mentioning my least frugal vehicle which is a 2011 F-150 4x4, bought new but since the electric Fiat became my commuting vehicle 3 years ago (car pool access and $20/month "fuel" cost) we use it only for towing our travel trailer and light off-road exploring. I've resisted the temptation (and expense) to modify it as its quite capable in stock form. Still, 9 mpg while towing is painful, at least here in CA...those twin turbos really guzzle the fuel...but it rides like a car and gets better than 20 mpg on the freeway when unburdened. Maintenance is surprisingly cheap as well. Since we both retired early last year its been getting a lot more use. Our '03 G35 was a fabulous car back then, bought new for $29k and sold after 4 years and 75k miles for $16.5. Not as frugal as buying used but still great bang for the buck.

We didn't opt for the autopilot to keep the price down but at $50k our Model 3 will still be our most expensive vehicle purchase. We are thrilled to be getting the car but rebates, tax credits and low operating costs will make it a bit easier to swallow financially.

Reactions: Amit519
The community of the Model 3 (I like how you guys write M3 so coolly; there is that momentary Pavlovian jolt of the memory of that M3 and every erection, sorry, I meant reaction you have ever had when a friend or a coworker gave you a ride in one; I really have to learn to use "M3" in reference to a Tesla as easily as you do) is growing daily. I wonder if you have compiled a statistic of how many have bought the car sight unseen.

I have watched every Larry Benjamin video. For the record, I think the guy is a prince among men and is doing God's work on YouTube. I feel like I have been in, around and under a M3 (nice, I am doing it already!). I feel like I know all there is to know. I have done the math every which way and convinced myself that a $44K EV I can buy now makes every bit as much sense as the $25K EV I thought I was signing up for two years ago. I am prepared to love the car.

But is is freaking weird to be buying a $44K car I have not laid my eyes on in person, much less sat in.

Tell me if this has ever happened to you, or if you ever in your wildest dreams thought it could happen to you when shopping for a new car. A salesman in a fancy Tesla showroom telling you to go on Turo to find someone renting out a Model 3 for $50/day (in reality, more like $160/day) and check the car out that day.

That's when the madness of the M3 buying process really hit home for me.

Fashion Island is the only showroom in Orange County, I was told, that has a physical M3 to touch and sit it. Not drive, God forbid, of course not! My wife got an appointment for us to sit in their M3 last Saturday. For one, I want to make sure that at 6'2" I will be comfortable, and the person behind me will be reasonably comfortable.

Guess what, their M3 went MIA just before we got there. According to the salesguy, some idiot (prospective buyer) ripped of a door handle by mistake. Another story I heard in the showroom is that it was being used in a "special event", and another -- that it is being detailed. They couldn't even get their story straight. The car will be back some time this week.

The guy then suggested we go down the street to the Delivery Center and ogle the cars they have there in plenitude. Only to be corrected by the manager who said they have all been moved inside and none are visible from the street.

So, three questions. How many (show of hands or percentage if known) bought the car sight unseen? If you did get to see and sit in the car prior to the purchase, what hoops did you have to jump through to get your butt in? And does anyone in OC with a Model 3 want to make friends and show me theirs? I'll buy lunch.
Hi @ponzu hopefully you have had a chance to see, touch, feel and sit in a car you are only able to dream of so far. I also saw that you placed your order. I know it doesn't help but just in case you were interested, the Rocklin Tesla showroom as of yesterday has a M3 on the showroom floor to see, touch, feel and sit in. It may just be worth the southwest round trip flight to know that you have made the right choice. They received a delivery of 50 cars this week, have all colors to look at and are delivering 10 cars a day!
Screenshot_20180426-151431_Gmail.jpg

"I thought the process was lengthy and somewhat convoluted"
@ponzu But still way better than spending hours upon hours at a conventional car dealership as the salesman makes multiple trips to talk to the manager, then the boss then the finance manager then a "final best offer good only if you buy right now".........etc, etc.
You were able to navigate through the whole process at your pace, in the comfort of your home and with no sales pressure tactics whatsoever. IMHO that is how car buying should be, your time is valuable and shouldn't be spent wasting it at car "dealerships", right?
From personal experience, ordering my 2 model S so far and soon my model 3, the paperwork part was a breeze and at the delivery time paperwork took 5 minutes and the cars were mine. No other car buying experience of mine, and I have bought 7 ICE cars through the years, can compare to the experience at Tesla.
You will enjoy your M3!