Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 buzzing after parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was parked in the sun for a couple of hours. During that time the normal hum (battery cooling?) ran the entire time. The car listed 97 degress when checked via the app. I spot cleaned the windshield and left it. Then I pulled in the car and the wipers kept going then made the following noise.

Yes. This is 100% normal. It’s the AC compressor and is variable speed depending on AC demands; when it’s at high speeds you have this sound. I have two model 3 and they are identical like this — particularly when starting up when off and cabin temperature is higher than desired temperature on climate control.

I had the same thing today. I was parked at work for about 2 hours when I went out to the car to get something...as I was walking up to the car, from several feet away, I could hear it whirring away loudly.

Never seen that before and thought it was odd. Why was the car making so much noise while left alone?

I'm getting mixed feedback. Some people say it's normal. It wasn't noisy when the mobile tech came out but I played for him the video. He said it sounded a bit loud but I'd have to take it into a service center. I kind of don't want to deal with that if the car is working fine but I'll probably contact them in the next 30 days to see what kind of hassle it is.

I'm getting mixed feedback. Some people say it's normal. It wasn't noisy when the mobile tech came out but I played for him the video. He said it sounded a bit loud but I'd have to take it into a service center. I kind of don't want to deal with that if the car is working fine but I'll probably contact them in the next 30 days to see what kind of hassle it is.

Thanks for the update. I noticed the buzzing noise when pressing the air recycle button. I’m living with it for now.

Definitely the AC compressor as others have said. It may be cabin overheat protection for others hearing this at otherwise odd times. I don't believe the app reports the right temperature, or at least it's not the full story for what it decides to run -- I've seen it turn on the heat when set to 21C and the interior temperature reported 23C.

I had the same thing today. I was parked at work for about 2 hours when I went out to the car to get something...as I was walking up to the car, from several feet away, I could hear it whirring away loudly.

Never seen that before and thought it was odd. Why was the car making so much noise while left alone?

Do you have cabin overheat protection enabled? It is by default. When it's hot inside it will run the AC to prevent excessive heat inside the cabin for 12 hours.

Che
checking to see what the outcome was because I have the same noise.