Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Camera Defrosters not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that their autopilot camera defrosters/ heaters don't work anymore?

It's been quite some time since I've seen them work and I am wondering if it's just my vehicle... or has anyone else noticed they aren't clearing the snow...

Thanks!

That is what i am talking about. Yet both don't.

Juat wondering if it's a fleet wide issue or just a my car issue.
I’ve seen Erik demo these, but don’t know if they are ‘gently warmed’ all the time or go on with the mirrors or something else.... you would hope they would be more automatic to make AP be ‘automatic’ :D

If you have time and patience, perhaps call national support and see if they offer a way to test beside make an SC appt.

I’ve seen Erik demo these, but don’t know if they are ‘gently warmed’ all the time or go on with the mirrors or something else.... you would hope they would be more automatic to make AP be ‘automatic’ :D

If you have time and patience, perhaps call national support and see if they offer a way to test beside make an SC appt.
Luckily i already have a mobile tech coming for March 15th for other issues. So ive added this to the list of things to be looked at. (Charge port magnet has fallen off for a 4th time, and my driver side door handle sticks).

Such is the life of a Tesla owner lol

Reactions: boaterva
Luckily i already have a mobile tech coming for March 15th for other issues. So ive added this to the list of things to be looked at. (Charge port magnet has fallen off for a 4th time, and my driver side door handle sticks).

Such is the life of a Tesla owner lol

What did Tesla say about your camera heater? Asking because we are having the same issue on our 3 and trying to figure out if Tesla just borked their firmware change or if our heater actually failed. See my post here: Condensation between windshield and front facing cameras

What did Tesla say about your camera heater? Asking because we are having the same issue on our 3 and trying to figure out if Tesla just borked their firmware change or if our heater actually failed. See my post here: Condensation between windshield and front facing cameras
Funny you should bring this up. I have a service appointment on the 21st to address this issue.

I forgot i even created a post earlier this year lol

Anything come of your appointment? My reply to my email into support gave me the typical 'car logs show nothing abnormal' baloney (warnings were firing off left and right).
ah yes.. had my appointment a few days ago. They said the car was working as per normal. and apparently the B-pillar cameras don't have heaters... though.. i could have sworn i've seen pictures of them having heaters...

I have no idea what triggers the heaters to start working. even after 30 minutes of preheating I never see them work.. so... idk man...

ah yes.. had my appointment a few days ago. They said the car was working as per normal. and apparently the B-pillar cameras don't have heaters... though.. i could have sworn i've seen pictures of them having heaters...

I have no idea what triggers the heaters to start working. even after 30 minutes of preheating I never see them work.. so... idk man...
From my testing and some observations, it no longer (maybe erroneously) uses the defrosters in the forward facing cameras during preheat, but it will during normal operation of the vehicle (tied to the rear/sideview defroster I believe). Can you confirm if yours is the same?

Have you had other snow/cold weather issues in Kitchener with your car? I am getting concerned that maybe the Tesla is going to be a problem for me in Ottawa.

Have you had other snow/cold weather issues in Kitchener with your car? I am getting concerned that maybe the Tesla is going to be a problem for me in Ottawa.
I did last year.

Had to work with Tesla to trial a Beta part for the chargeport. The lock kept freezing up because the little motor that was used was waaay to under-powered.

That's no longer an issue as I gave them the feedback to immediately install the new part on every Model 3 (existing and new production).

Also had issues with the windows freezing up.. but that was mitigated by a software update last year. So far.. this season has been fine. I wouldn't worry about owning it. In fact.. owning the Tesla is much more convenient in the winter. preheating the car 10 minutes before i leave to and from work and it's a nice comfy ride.

I did last year.

Had to work with Tesla to trial a Beta part for the chargeport. The lock kept freezing up because the little motor that was used was waaay to under-powered.

That's no longer an issue as I gave them the feedback to immediately install the new part on every Model 3 (existing and new production).

Also had issues with the windows freezing up.. but that was mitigated by a software update last year. So far.. this season has been fine. I wouldn't worry about owning it. In fact.. owning the Tesla is much more convenient in the winter. preheating the car 10 minutes before i leave to and from work and it's a nice comfy ride.
Thanks very much, this is reassuring information .

Reactions: McFlurri
Several days of near freezing temps.here. Got a warning that the B pillar cameras were inoperable. There was condensation on the inside of the glass. I held my thumb on the outside and it dissipated. First occurrence.

Yeah, I'd also seen pics that looked like side cameras were heated, but I confirmed there are no heaters (via schematic).

Regarding the front defroster, while the service center said it was working fine, followed by another cold day where the camera was blinded by fog, I set up a mobile service appointment, and that tech checked the harness and a few other things but did report that the camera heater was not functioning when required. They said they would follow up but nothing yet.

As an aside, I've also confirmed that it's not hearing with a FLIR thermal camera. My AP1 S almost immediately heats with the front defrost on, while the 3 just sits there at normal temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Well well. Look what 2019.40.50.1 magically fixed:
E5DF5F99-CC57-445E-A876-8EADADA14BB4.jpeg