Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 camping in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! Current EV (e-Golf) owner here who would love a Tesla Model 3 but can’t really justify the payments.

I just had a crazy thought, however, that is probably just me trying to justify unaffordable payments to myself, but thought I would run it by this community to see if everyone tells me I’m crazy, or anyone thinks I’m onto something :)

I have seen a variety of YouTube videos demonstrating how it is possible to camp in a Model 3. Now, I might be a bit tall for this (6’2”), but I would imagine I could make it work if I slept diagonally and put the front seats forward. I do also love travelling, and enjoy trips on the ferry over to Europe.

Now, my e-Golf payments are about £300/m. I reckon the cheapest Tesla I’d be looking at £450/m maybe. So, if I averaged spending 2 nights per month that I would otherwise be sleeping in a hotel camping in my car instead, that would pay back the difference. Interesting!

My question then is, do any current owners do this here in Europe, and how feasible is it? If I wanted to visit a European city, could I find somewhere to park up for a night’s sleep on the outskirts of the city somewhere, or will I get disturbed/moved on in reality? I know there are plenty of Tesla camping videos, but most seem to be in America where there is a lot of wilderness land to park in... how will I fare trying to do this every other night (alternating with hotels) on a visit to Florence, or Prague, or Barcelona, or somewhere like that?

Oh, and do feel free to tell me this is nuts. I am aware that this is a long-shot idea for justifying a Tesla purchase! :D

Plenty of campsites all across Europe, obviously not free but much cheaper than a hotel with toilets etc. Cant see it being an issue at any of them. They would be glad of the business

Thanks! But what about nights when I wanted to really ‘rough it’ and free camp? I hear there are ‘aires’ and things all across Europe where motorhomes and camper vans can park overnight for free, but not cars. I imagine I would have to sneakily park for a kip on a residential street somewhere, or a supermarket car park, something like that? Wondering whether anyone on here actually does that...?

Thanks! But what about nights when I wanted to really ‘rough it’ and free camp? I hear there are ‘aires’ and things all across Europe where motorhomes and camper vans can park overnight for free, but not cars. I imagine I would have to sneakily park for a kip on a residential street somewhere, or a supermarket car park, something like that? Wondering whether anyone on here actually does that...?
Aires are in France and are on motorways. Some have just a bog and others are full services. You could just join the trucks on industrial estates and lay bys

If you put 13k down it’s about £325 a month :)

Bargain! So then I just have to pay back the 13k I borrow for the deposit... oh... wait... :D

Aires are in France and are on motorways. Some have just a bog and others are full services. You could just join the trucks on industrial estates and lay bys

Well, that’s what I’m thinking... night in a lay-by, night in a campsite for shower, night in an industrial estate, night in a hotel as a treat, etc.

Just wondering whether this sounds crazy or sane in general, or whether anyone on here actually does this? I see there are all kinds of mattresses and things sold online for the Model 3, so I guess some people might. But my suspicion is that it’s mainly Americans sleeping under the stars in the wilderness? My fear is that the European equivalent is being threatened by a lorry driver at 3am for taking up valuable lay by space next to a motorway!

I’d say you’re over thinking it as a car will fit where a truck won’t. FYI in Italy you can park anywhere and erm enjoy the company of a lady as long as nobody can see in, Italians often put newspaper on the windows then get busy lol

Now, my e-Golf payments are about £300/m. I reckon the cheapest Tesla I’d be looking at £450/m maybe.

Just to add to the video i liked above. For the extra £150/month you get:

1. camping mode which keeps aircon on plus some mood campfile (see in video) - that uses something like 10% of your battery if unplugged.

2. some games and videos (youtube/netflix) nothing you cant substitute with having a laptop I suppose, but you dont need to worry about it being nicked...

3. sentry mode, which will flash lights if bears get too close to chase therm away

4. Glass roof, which will act like a natural alarm clock and also pretty cool for stargazing while on your 'bed'.

So yeah, a bit of car-glamping...

I have seen a variety of YouTube videos demonstrating how it is possible to camp in a Model 3. Now, I might be a bit tall for this (6’2”), but I would imagine I could make it work if I slept diagonally and put the front seats forward. I do also love travelling, and enjoy trips on the ferry over to Europe.

Now, my e-Golf payments are about £300/m. I reckon the cheapest Tesla I’d be looking at £450/m maybe. So, if I averaged spending 2 nights per month that I would otherwise be sleeping in a hotel camping in my car instead, that would pay back the difference. Interesting!

My question then is, do any current owners do this here in Europe, and how feasible is it? If I wanted to visit a European city, could I find somewhere to park up for a night’s sleep on the outskirts of the city somewhere, or will I get disturbed/moved on in reality? I know there are plenty of Tesla camping videos, but most seem to be in America where there is a lot of wilderness land to park in... how will I fare trying to do this every other night (alternating with hotels) on a visit to Florence, or Prague, or Barcelona, or somewhere like that?

Oh, and do feel free to tell me this is nuts. I am aware that this is a long-shot idea for justifying a Tesla purchase! :D

Hey Matt... nope, you're not nuts :D There's been a few of us discussing this very thing over on another thread New M3 USB ports

@M3-Newbie @fancealot - we no longer have to hijack the USB thread, here's one someone prepared earlier ;)

Yay! Camping in a M3 post lol!!!!

I'm actually looking forward to doing it. I'm a scout leader and as part of my role i assess and give out camping permits for other leaders, when scouting is back to normal i'll probably use the M3 as my tent for the night as i'm creeping into middle age and all i'm needed for is having a presence on the campsite to ensure things don't go awry if a leadership team is being assessed. It'll be fun, cook on my portable stove next to the car, assessing the group from afar then setting up the camp mode, mattress and watching Netflix in the warm comfort of my M3. I just wish that the Tesmat privacy screen was a bit cheaper/sold over here.
Will also have to ask the local campsites to allow me to run an extension over to the car so I can charge lol, if not supercharge on the way to the site (until my podpoint eventually gets installed)

• Funny
Reactions: Lucanesque

I'm actually looking forward to doing it. I'm a scout leader and as part of my role i assess and give out camping permits for other leaders, when scouting is back to normal i'll probably use the M3 as my tent for the night as i'm creeping into middle age and all i'm needed for is having a presence on the campsite to ensure things don't go awry if a leadership team is being assessed. It'll be fun, cook on my portable stove next to the car, assessing the group from afar then setting up the camp mode, mattress and watching Netflix in the warm comfort of my M3. I just wish that the Tesmat privacy screen was a bit cheaper/sold over here.
Will also have to ask the local campsites to allow me to run an extension over to the car so I can charge lol, if not supercharge on the way to the site (until my podpoint eventually gets installed)

After extensive* googling, the only alternative option to the Tesmat's $80 privacy screen (including shipping to the UK) is this set of individual screens at £21. Quite cheap, although difficult to really assess quality and as it's Wish then who knows what you will actually get!

*10 minutes, max :D

Reactions: Alan J
After extensive* googling, the only alternative option to the Tesmat's $80 privacy screen (including shipping to the UK) is this set of individual screens at £21. Quite cheap, although difficult to really assess quality and as it's Wish then who knows what you will actually get!

*10 minutes, max :D
I'm waiting for this combo of items to arrive from China:

US $19.89 18% OFF|Car Windshield Sun Shades Sunshade Cover Windsn Protector for Tesla Model 3 Black (134X89 cm)| | - AliExpress

US $5.17 25% OFF|For Tesla Model 3 Accessories Roof Sunshade Skylight Shades Protector Three Model 3 Sunshade Car Sun Visor Rear Front Sun Shade|Windshield Sunshades| - AliExpress

US $9.69 49% OFF|4 Pack Summer UV Protection Car Front Rear Side Window Sun Shade Anti mosquito Car Sunshade Net Mesh Curtain For Sedan SUV MPV|Side Window Sunshades| - AliExpress

That's blackout for the roof and front windscreen. Then shaded netting for the side windows. I found the side window pieces the hardest to find and hadn't come across the item you'd found on wish.

We'll see what they're like when they arrive. I'm fairly sceptical about the side windows in particular.

Reactions: Lucanesque
I'm waiting for this combo of items to arrive from China: <SNIP>

That's blackout for the roof and front windscreen. Then shaded netting for the side windows. I found the side window pieces the hardest to find and hadn't come across the item you'd found on wish.

We'll see what they're like when they arrive. I'm fairly sceptical about the side windows in particular.

I'd be very interested to see what it all looks like, could you come back with a few pics and review please?

Just to add to the video i liked above. For the extra £150/month you get:

1. camping mode which keeps aircon on plus some mood campfile (see in video) - that uses something like 10% of your battery if unplugged.

2. some games and videos (youtube/netflix) nothing you cant substitute with having a laptop I suppose, but you dont need to worry about it being nicked...

3. sentry mode, which will flash lights if bears get too close to chase therm away

4. Glass roof, which will act like a natural alarm clock and also pretty cool for stargazing while on your 'bed'.

So yeah, a bit of car-glamping...

Hey Matt... nope, you're not nuts :D There's been a few of us discussing this very thing over on another thread New M3 USB ports

@M3-Newbie @fancealot - we no longer have to hijack the USB thread, here's one someone prepared earlier ;)

Hey look at this! Other crazy people! :D (Or... I’m not crazy? Maybe?? Haha)

Thanks, I’ve seen a few of TeslaBjorn’s videos on this which is what planted the idea in my head. I think the all night climate control is what makes this such an interesting idea. Don’t think I’d even think of camping in a car otherwise.

But all these videos seem to be about camping in beautiful forests, or by lakes, under starlight, in the wilderness. I can already see how the Tesla would be perfect for that, but I don’t take that many of those holidays. Of course, I might take more if I had the Tesla, but I’m more into visiting great cities, or historic towns. I’m not sure to what extent the reality of camping in a lay-by may not be as much fun. I mean, take the Tesmat privacy screen for example... the thought of a night gazing at the stars sounds lovely, but in my case it’ll end up being a morning woken up by kids from whatever neighbouring estate I’ve parked by with their faces pressed to the roof because they think they can see some weird man sleeping in there through the tinted glass :D

Sure, I'm trying to do a full camp setup for less than £75. That's all blinds and an airbed. I'm not going to be using it that often so didn't want to go down the dreamcase/evannex route.
Here’s a little inspiration for your camp setup.....

46E641B2-BD98-41FA-9841-91BBF423BA54.jpeg

I used Camp('ing) mode on my M3LR earlier this month when temps here hit 30c at night. It was just too hot in the house so I thought, 'Why not?'
Keeping the car at 19c for 7 hours took 9% from 80% which I didn't think was too bad. I did wonder about leaving the charger on but for some reason, I didn't fancy lying on a charging battery. Very comfortable on a zed-bed mattress with a thin quilt and a couple of pillows.