Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 camping in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re camping out in it on the first night?! Awesome :cool:

apparently as a child I always liked the box my toys came in more than the toys! So Whilst this doesn’t come in a box.... I’m maximising the use I get out of it!

If it wasn’t for Covid I wouldn’t be camping, I’d be inside mums house, but also if it wasn’t for Covid I wouldn’t be buying the car at all (used trains Uber’s and planes plus v.occasional hire cars for the last nearly 5 years) So this is an all round adventure!

I'm waiting for this combo of items to arrive from China:

US $19.89 18% OFF|Car Windshield Sun Shades Sunshade Cover Windsn Protector for Tesla Model 3 Black (134X89 cm)| | - AliExpress

US $5.17 25% OFF|For Tesla Model 3 Accessories Roof Sunshade Skylight Shades Protector Three Model 3 Sunshade Car Sun Visor Rear Front Sun Shade|Windshield Sunshades| - AliExpress

US $9.69 49% OFF|4 Pack Summer UV Protection Car Front Rear Side Window Sun Shade Anti mosquito Car Sunshade Net Mesh Curtain For Sedan SUV MPV|Side Window Sunshades| - AliExpress

That's blackout for the roof and front windscreen. Then shaded netting for the side windows. I found the side window pieces the hardest to find and hadn't come across the item you'd found on wish.

We'll see what they're like when they arrive. I'm fairly sceptical about the side windows in particular.

Just wondering if these have turned up yet @Medved_77 as intrested in getting them too

Update on camping! I did it - and it was great! 3 nights total - I was amazed

waaaay more room than I expected in every way actually! The climate control was great and although it rained I didn’t notice and slept right through!

First picture is Through from the boot to the rear seats down flat, with the double air bed folded in 2 so it was twice as thick as I realised I had space and was on my own and figured why not.

Info; I’m 5’4” and was parked in a tight driveway so could only access driver side to push seat forward but clearly loads of room behind my head and my feet aren’t touching ‘the bottom’ in this photo but legs were straight out.

I’d watched videos of ppl not having enough space to turn and I had plenty but was sleeping in the centre so as the edges of the car taper in this might be a bit tighter if 2 of you.

The camp fire didn’t crackle (thankfully!) I turned screen brightness right down and left the camp mode on but at the temp the car was when I got to it so I think it rarely did anything as only lost a couple percent each night. Interior temp was 19* 2 nights and 18 the 3rd.

Links to the things I bought; a memory foam & inflatable mattress from kingcamp on amazon £79 https://amzn.to/3jWLN4g this was due to fear of too thick a base but the air + thin memory foam was actually really comfy.

plus a double sleeping bag £49 (now £45!) https://amzn.to/337D2xu

I chose this one as it can be zipped down into 2 x single sleeping bags if needed, and I used 2 normal pillows, in grey amazon basics pillow cases which btw felt SUPER smooth!

the passenger door pockets make great ‘bedside cabinets’ and if I had needed to the rear charger points were close.

408CDBC4-1740-4A1B-9D3A-7AD2A1829C88.jpeg

5ED7804C-7BF8-42B9-A08C-924DA51A084D.jpeg

The view was amazing and I love to wake to natural light so it wasn’t an issue for me - but if you are a light/late sleeper an eye mask would be a must - the roof tint is great for privacy, and I think I’ll tint the rear windows (if I can get a prices in aberdeen as good as someone in Manchester had got recently sharing it was only £140!)

I do like the look of that tesmat privacy screen and when back in stock will be seriously thinking about it.

Reactions: Lucanesque
Just wondering if these have turned up yet @Medved_77 as intrested in getting them too
The windshield cover has arrived and is a perfect fit.

The side window covers/nets have arrived but don't fit well. They're too large and it's hard to close the windows unless positioned just right. Will probably end up making something custom for this.

Still waiting for the roof shades, looks like they'll be here this week.

The windshield cover has arrived and is a perfect fit.

The side window covers/nets have arrived but don't fit well. They're too large and it's hard to close the windows unless positioned just right. Will probably end up making something custom for this.

Still waiting for the roof shades, looks like they'll be here this week.

How did the roof shades turn out? Did you order the large rear piece, with or without shading cloth?

How did the roof shades turn out? Did you order the large rear piece, with or without shading cloth?
Tried it for the first time last weekend. No pictures as was pitch black when I arrived and I was scrambling with the sunshades and a 4 year old. Chucking it down when I packed up hurriedly.

Windshield and roof shades were excellent value for money. Completely black as I went for the extended shade on the rear of the roof with the additional shading cloth on both roof sections. Trianglur pieces for the rear quarter panel windows also a great fit and I've left them in for now.

Side window covers not terrible for £5 a set but no where near a custom fit. I've asked my mum to stich together some custom versions made of lycra instead.

Air bed not great. Too high when fully inflated and when partially inflated it had the tendency to catapult the 4 year old to a different section of the car whenever I moved. New mattress on order and will try to get some pictures this weekend.

Reactions: kuruma and m3p_uk
Well I decided to order these today, not expecting too much but I will report back.

For Tesla Model 3 2017-2019 Front Rear Side Window Sun Visor Sun Shade Shield Cover | Wish

@Medved_77 How was the mattress, Is it the one from your list?
This one was decent:
2.5cm Double Self-Inflating Camping Mat

The other non self inflating air bed was just too high to comfortably get in and out of the car.

I can't seem to view the link for the window blinds you've found without creating an account first but hope they fit well whatever form they are.

I'm currently having some custom blinds made for the side window, not sure how they'll turn out but will post back once made.

Reactions: Godsense
I popped back in this thread as I see you all making some progress. Thought I'd share a few others I didn't see as I camp in my car quite a bit lately. Can't help on the cheap stuff for mattress as I went all out on the Dreamcase a year ago (expensive as hell but very nice quality and is really like a bed for true glamping): Configurator 3.0 – Dreamcase

I used the Evannex window shields all around and for the roof. These are great in winter as they keep the heat in:
Sunshades for Tesla Model 3

I bought this to cover the screen completely if/when I want that: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Semoic-Console-Display-Protector-Sunshade/dp/B081SPQFZR/

I'm addicted to a good coffee when I wake up and this I even use while driving with Autopilot if I feel like a quick one or at a rest stop:
On the road

And for those moments when no shower is available or I want to give the dog a rinse:

RinseKit® POD (Sprays 3:30 minutes)

They make a bigger rinsekit but this one is enough for a quick one and is small.

Other things I did which I originally didn't do specifically for camping but more to kill road noise were to insulate the trunk and sub trunk, rear wheel wells and the trunk lid itself behind the plastic cover with butyl and single cell foam. This also really helps to keep the heat in as feet can get cold in winter even with climate control on.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Medved_77
Not sure I'm keen on the idea of making coffee in the car on autopilot during an episode of phantom breaking!
I also confess that I do own one of these but I DO drive responsibly with my attention on the road. Just hate the constant nags on AP. Remember that the original AP in the Model S's never had the nags. They were added due to people doing idiotic stuff like sleeping while on AP. Some might say it's idiotic to make a quick coffee but it's a one handed job with the Handpresso.

Model 3/Y - Steering Wheel Weight

• Disagree
Reactions: MrBadger and m3p_uk
This one was decent:
2.5cm Double Self-Inflating Camping Mat

The other non self inflating air bed was just too high to comfortably get in and out of the car.

I can't seem to view the link for the window blinds you've found without creating an account first but hope they fit well whatever form they are.

I'm currently having some custom blinds made for the side window, not sure how they'll turn out but will post back once made.

Arh, its these. I'll update when they arrive but I'm hopeful they should be ok for the occasional trip - I may add some extra black fabric if they seem to shiny, don't want to attracting any unneeded attention.

Matress looks good, going to order one :)

Attachments

• 5ea694e33630b36bafe1ccbc-1-large.jpg
    5ea694e33630b36bafe1ccbc-1-large.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 5ea694e33630b36bafe1ccbc-large.jpg
    5ea694e33630b36bafe1ccbc-large.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 64