TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 camping mode?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DavidS314, May 23, 2018.

1. DavidS314

DavidS314 Member

Does anyone know if model 3 has a camping mode yet? I havent been able to find any information on it online. Also if it doesnt, has anyone tried to sleep in it, and if so are there work arounds to it not having one?

2. Jim R

Jim R Member

So what is a camping mode? What is it supposed to do?

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

It does not have it yet.

• Informative x 1
  4. MrBilly

MrBilly Member

I thought you just put it in neutral instead of park and manually set the parking brake. Then you can set the climate control, stereo, interior lights, etc as long as you want to without it timing off or having to stay in the front seat. Isn't that camping mode?

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

That was the hacked camping mode. Tesla later added a feature to the S and X that allowed you to keep the climate on after turning off the car. That feature is what the 3 doesn’t have

6. MrBilly

MrBilly Member

Ok, good to know. But back to the OPs question, this should be a good workaround for sleeping in it and the 3 does it just like the S always did.

7. DavidS314

DavidS314 Member

Yes, its my understanding that the M3 doesnt currently have this option, so im curious if there is at least work arounds in the meantime?

8. LBusDoor90

LBusDoor90 Member

But I thought I saw it mentioned here by someone undergoing a car wash struggle that if you remove your weight from the driver's seat, it puts the car into park. Yes, no?

• Like x 1
  9. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

I hope that (and I doubt they would do this) that with SAS camping mode auto levels the car on all 4 corners (assuming you're not in too steep of an incline to max out the strut travel).

10. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

i'm really hoping this feature fixes the issue. one of the dumbest behaviors i've ever seen in a car is in my model 3. 3 passengers in car, driver steps out and AC, Radio, Car turn off. WHAT THE ACTUAL F! this happens even if the driver's phone stays in the car.

• Like x 3
  11. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Camper for Tesla app on iOS is what I was using for a while. Worked fine.

• Helpful x 1
  12. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

that's such a valid use case and something easy for tesla to fix. you should def leave feedback for that. [email protected] or do the standard executive review form in your account.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

And if they try to get out while autolock is enabled, prepare to hear what your horn alarm sounds like.

• Funny x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  14. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

that sounds fun. i'll try that :)

15. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

My Model 3 will keep the radio and air conditioning on when I leave with a passenger in the car. My passenger plays their music through the car’s Bluetooth. This seems to keep it awake.

16. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

very strange. which firmware do you have? i've had 16.2 and 18.3.

17. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

I can’t remember which I was on at the time. It was whatever I had prior to 18.3. I haven’t tried it with 18.3.

18. favo

favo P3D+ owner

I think all they have to do is touch the screen,, and it'll come back on.

19. Adrien

Adrien Member

With an android phone I just clicked the climate on button and it happened to stay on the entire night. Drained 20% of my battery overnight at 55*, but it did work.

Not sure if it's a bug that it doesn't shut off after 30 minutes.

I'm going to do the neutral, parking brake, etc thing soon for a test. Maybe the phone in the car with BTLE?

• Like x 1
  20. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Uh, sorry, what is that? Sounds cool, I am tired of telling the car "Note: the car needs to include camper mode" and seeing "the car needs to include Kemper not" or some such. I'll use the feedback email, but curious what the executive review form looks like

-Randy

• Funny x 1