Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada - Confirmed Orders Only thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I've been debating asking this question, now I'm gonna do it...

I'm not a car guy. Not at all, in any way. I got this car cause I think it's necessary to save the planet, and the more ppl spreading the word, the better.

So my question is -- how much difference does any of the above make? Is it all just to keep your car clean and shiny? Or does something on the above list provide rust protection or some other benefit as well? Just wondering if this is all appearance based, or if there are other benefits involved as well.

Basically clay bar and iron decontaminating followed with polishing will make your car very shiny because you remove all contaminants in the paint and get rid of any clear coat scratches and swirl marks.
Then ceramic will make shine even more, make your car hydrophobic and will provide a very thin layer of protection. This will not protect like a wrap will protect, but it will help stop surface scratching from washing or running your hand over the paint.

Basically clay bar and iron decontaminating followed with polishing will make your car very shiny because you remove all contaminants in the paint and get rid of any clear coat scratches and swirl marks.
Then ceramic will make shine even more, make your car hydrophobic and will provide a very thin layer of protection. This will not protect like a wrap will protect, but it will help stop surface scratching from washing or running your hand over the paint.

ok thanks

Which polisher did you use for the polishing?
What was the sequence of all the items listed?
Did you use a pressure washer with the foam cannon or can that be attached to a garden hose too?
Thanks!
I just used a cheap simoniz polisher.

Sequence was
Pressure wash
Foam cannon soak
Pressure wash
Foam cannon and wash with microfibre mit
Dry
Iron x
Rinse
Clay bar
Rinse
Polish
Wipe with IPA
Ceramic coat
Reload wipe and buff

Make sure you have plenty of microfibre cloths. I went through at least a dozen during the process.

Ok, I've been debating asking this question, now I'm gonna do it...

I'm not a car guy. Not at all, in any way. I got this car cause I think it's necessary to save the planet, and the more ppl spreading the word, the better.

So my question is -- how much difference does any of the above make? Is it all just to keep your car clean and shiny? Or does something on the above list provide rust protection or some other benefit as well? Just wondering if this is all appearance based, or if there are other benefits involved as well.

Here are some great tips to get you started. Looks overwhelming but in the long run most just wash and dry weekly.

http://www.detailedimage.com/guide/AutoDetailingGuide.pdf

Check this out: I configured/ordered my Model 3 on Friday, June 1st, and today (Monday, June 4th) I already have my VIN (through charger shopping cart) and an email from Tesla saying the car is finishing production.

I think they're definitely pushing as much capacity as possible to Canada. VIN is 320XX
c4jt321.png

Also hit a bit of an annoying and maybe worrying snag: Flight from Ottawa booked for tomorrow morning for 11am pickup. Got the call an hour ago 'Unfortunately your Tesla has been damaged in transport, we think just superficially but are having our body shop look it over'. So obviously super frustrating; the 'we think just superficially' is a little worrying; and the possibility of this pushing beyond the election and risking the 14k rebate is truly scary. On a related note I sold my old car today in anticipation of the new one tomorrow. Argh!