Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did that come from? With Model S, Canadian Signature cars were delivered a few months after the US Signature cars; the delay being due to homologation. After that Canadian and US cars were delivered simultaneously. Is there any reason to suspect they will do anything different this time?
Sorry meant to say he might not be waiting much longer than me...

Well I guess it all depends on how much stock you put in "late 2018", there was another thread that references the model 3 reservation database showing California reservations made in July of 2017 were scheduled for late 2018. To me it seems like there will be a much heavier bias to US reservations this time around, perhaps because of the Federal tax credit.

Sorry meant to say he might not be waiting much longer than me...

Well I guess it all depends on how much stock you put in "late 2018", there was another thread that references the model 3 reservation database showing California reservations made in July of 2017 were scheduled for late 2018. To me it seems like there will be a much heavier bias to US reservations this time around, perhaps because of the Federal tax credit.

Or because reservations made in July of 2017 and later will be prioritized with all the other LHD markets. They reserved late and will go to the back of LHD line when if in California.

I don't know how accurate their timing is, but just thought those who are interested can see it.

They've been quite a bit behind schedule, but it's not their fault. They're doing the best they can with little sleep. They go from stop-to-stop with no time for sightseeing. Frigid temperatures and poor road conditions are mostly to blame for the delays. They were also hurt today by the fact the the 3 doesn't yet accept CHAdeMO charging.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Model 3 sighting in Port Hope last night. I missed him by minutes.
D1955915-E70A-48D0-B881-2B246558860F.jpeg

So now that 2018 is here - will we see any ship to Canada this calendar year? They don't expect to hit a rate of 5000/wk until the end of Q2. And that is on Elon-time.

Call me naive... but I think after setting it back twice now we're seeing a more realistic target for 5,000/week production. Assuming they continue to slowly ramp from 1,000/week to 5,000/week over the next 6 months -- that'll get them close to 80,000 total Model 3's produced by end of June. Granted-- I used a very simplistic linear logic to figure that out so it's probably off.

I think the 10,000 a week rate is still going to be a 2019 thing and we're not going to see any AWD or Air Suspension options till 2019 either but we might start seeing a few 2018 Canadian deliveries of the first run production models near the end of the year for First day reservation line deposits with another Tesla.

Sadly I'll probably be in the 2019 wave of orders... but it is what it is.

So now that 2018 is here - will we see any ship to Canada this calendar year? They don't expect to hit a rate of 5000/wk until the end of Q2. And that is on Elon-time.

That's what they're expecting. Granted, the timeline before all the slow downs indicated mid 2018 before they started shipping to Canada. Now that their more realistic timeline has hit, Canada could possibly start getting cars by end of 3rd quarter and definitely by the end of the year.
Although there are more than a few Canadians who are waiting for the standard battery pack as well as Duel motors due to their locations or their preference.

Personally I would like to see the public configurator hit the website to see what the actual prices will be for us. Right now I'm looking at a standard battery pack, with the premium upgrade. And the blue paint. But the winter blues is starting to get to me. I think I might put a deposit down by the end of this month.

I'm going with a yes on this question. Especially if they need to divert USA deliveries during the end of this quarter to time optimal tax credit for USA deliveries next quarter. Once that happens though I think all deliveries will be to the USA for at least two quarters so Canadian deliveries should spool up by end of 2018. Not very scientific, just my opinion based on what I'd do if I were Tesla.

Reactions: pmich80 and bpjod
Personally I would like to see the public configurator hit the website to see what the actual prices will be for us. Right now I'm looking at a standard battery pack, with the premium upgrade. And the blue paint. But the winter blues is starting to get to me. I think I might put a deposit down by the end of this month.

I think if you want a rough estimate you can just multiply the price of each US item by 1.25.

That is likely going to be the average state of our exchange rate when the car ships to Canada. That being said, we might slip to 1.3 if NAFTA looks like its done in which case I don't know what we're going to do.

Yeah, I was looking at those estimates. They tend to correlate with everyone's guesstimate.
Here's hoping our incentives don't change too much. Otherwise I might have to bow out. Even with the options I'm looking at, the car is getting close to 58G's Cdn. Only thing saving me is the 14G incentive from the province. If it deviates too much or they change it completely, I might just have to keep my current ride for the foreseeable future. :(

Yeah, I was looking at those estimates. They tend to correlate with everyone's guesstimate.
Here's hoping our incentives don't change too much. Otherwise I might have to bow out. Even with the options I'm looking at, the car is getting close to 58G's Cdn. Only thing saving me is the 14G incentive from the province. If it deviates too much or they change it completely, I might just have to keep my current ride for the foreseeable future. :(

There's not much certainty regarding the Ontario Libs being around to provide that 14K incentive by late 2018 -- or even in a few weeks as they will reassess the program for this year based on public feedback and what they feel will set them up well for the next election.

I choose not to correlate my love of Teslas, support for EVs and the need of the incentive with my political affiliation... but the Cons (Federal and Provincial) seem intent on axing any sort of support for EVs and that is frustrating.

All that being said-- the Federal government is supposed to come out with a national EV plan this year probably Q1 or Q2 that should provide some more incentives for buyers.

Maybe axing the Federal portion of the sales tax on EVs along with Tax credits to offset energy consumption increases for home charging. All of this could make EVs more affordable in 2018/2019.

Maybe axing the Federal portion of the sales tax on EVs along with Tax credits to offset energy consumption increases for home charging. All of this could make EVs more affordable in 2018/2019.

I disagree with this option. Driving is a luxury for the most part - the fuel costs for an electric car are low enough and our taxes are high enough. There's hardly a government in this country that has a balanced budget at this point - massive EV rebates or tax incentives are not the right way to go - punish the bad behaviour with a (higher) carbon tax instead. If anything, there should be offsets of carbon tax for home heating - this usage is not a luxury.

I want a Model 3 just as much as the next person in this thread, but I don't need or want my neighbour who can't afford a brand new EV to subsidize it.