Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found it! :D

"Palo Alto, California-based Tesla Motors has its eyes set on Victoria as part of a bid to expand its presence in Canada, according to a source who spoke to Citified on the condition of anonymity.

Tesla Motors, coveted for its industry-leading line-up of luxury, high performance electric vehicles reportedly lost a bid to secure a property formerly occupied by the recently closed West Marine boating supply retailer on Douglas Street at Summit Street. The winning bidder has been confirmed as Audi Autohaus, currently situated east of downtown Victoria at Cook and Yates streets. The dealership will likely relocate its entire operation to Douglas Street's "automobile row" where dealers selling the likes of Porsches, Jaguars, Land Rovers and Lexus' have invested millions of dollars into upgraded vehicle showrooms. No doubt this has whetted Tesla's appetite for what has become Victoria's luxury automobile strip.

The West Marine property was formerly part of a consolidated land acquisition spanning several lots along Douglas Street where plans were afoot to build a modern Canadian Tire store. Canadian Tire's existing Douglas Street location is situated one block north of the former boating supply retailer, however, the company opted to drop its Douglas Street expansion plan in favour of a new location in the space formerly occupied by Target Canada at Hillside Centre.

As for Tesla Motors, the auto maker continues to investigate opportunities for locating a showroom in Victoria."

Re: service - It'll be interesting to see how many Model 3's will be on the Island next year and whether that leads to a little more frequent Ranger visits or a Service Centre someday. At this point, I'm just grateful that the SuperCharger up-Island is nearly ready, as I would love to do more exploring up there.

Hey all:

I just ordered mine on Aug 6th. Says late 2018 delivery. I'm in no hurry, I have a 2013 Mercedes B-Class that's still in good condition. Regarding the incentives to buy in Ontario, I think if the Liberals loose, whoever comes in will probably kill the high end car incentives, but keep the lower end (Model 3 etc) around.

Looks like there will be quite a few Model 3's in Victoria from everyone's replies!
Yeah, count me in. Two reservations, one on 2016.03.31, but they both look to be a long way away.
Found it! :D
"...Canadian Tire store. Canadian Tire's ... opted to drop its Douglas Street expansion plan ...
As for Tesla Motors, the auto maker continues to investigate opportunities for locating a showroom in Victoria."
Yes, good sleuthing! Maybe they picked up the Canadian Tire store. :cool:

I think I may have to take back some of the things I said about RWD vs. AWD with the recent revelations that somehow the new Model 3 is able to provide regenerative braking on both the rear and front.

I don't know how they plan on doing this, but one of the main reasons I wanted AWD was to have more even braking front to back. Relying on the regen on the rear axle only on the current Model X and S showed to be a little problematic in traction-limited conditions. Depending on the range and performance improvement of the dual motor, the $5000-$10000 premium may not be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Visscher
I think I may have to take back some of the things I said about RWD vs. AWD with the recent revelations that somehow the new Model 3 is able to provide regenerative braking on both the rear and front.

I don't know how they plan on doing this, but one of the main reasons I wanted AWD was to have more even braking front to back. Relying on the regen on the rear axle only on the current Model X and S showed to be a little problematic in traction-limited conditions. Depending on the range and performance improvement of the dual motor, the $5000-$10000 premium may not be worth it.
This seems too good to be true.. do we have a reliable source for this info? Agreed that AWD regen is helpful.

I have one deposit here in 100Mile house. Don't really care what I get and by the time they ship to Canada late 2018 I'm sure all options will be available so I guess I'll decide then. Last winter we had two months of -30 so I guess a heated drivers seat would be smart. Even their small battery would work for range from here to Kamloops or Merritt or hope. Would need the bigger one to get to Whistler/Squamish though.

EM had said the dual motor for the 3 would cost less than in the S.
Also said AWD would come in 2017, also said model 3 would have spaceship like controls, also said there would be FSD demo from LA to NY in 2017. Promised that some FSD features would come around in April but definitely July....... So EM says a lot of things that only sometimes pan out or are quasi true, you gotta take what he says with a grain of salt or think about his motivation behind his words.

I'm also in Victoria, just put in my reservation July 31st. We are currently car-sharing apartment dwellers. I'll likely stick with the base model and late 2018 is fine with me. Gives me time to save and explore home charging options. We are moving in the near future to accommodate our new addition to the family. We're hoping(not holding our breath) to be near a destination charger or that potential landlords or building owners are open to the idea of installing some faster charging. When we leave the city it will be mostly up-island and to Vancouver and the west coast of the states so not too worried about destination charging.

We're hoping(not holding our breath) to be near a destination charger or that potential landlords or building owners are open to the idea of installing some faster charging.

Definitely make that a requirement for where you move in if you can - street parking or parking in a parkade without any sort of plug will be very difficult! You will be a much happier if you can charge at home versus having to always be looking for charging if you're out & about. With standard mileage, even a 120V/20A circuit could meet your daily/weekly charging needs whereas a 240V circuit is ideal and would be adequate for even high mileage drivers. Make sure any apartment/condo owner that you approach knows that that is a selling feature you would be taking advantage of (and lets them know of the growing market).