Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They still had poor design for winter a few years later, like the concave shape of the sensor under the front nose cone on AP1 cars. This will very quickly build up with ice and slush:
2D6BD37700000578-3273093-image-a-14_1444929816259.jpg

Fortunately my 2012 P85 didn't have a radar sensor. So it always worked perfectly.

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG and Canuck
This particularly makes sense if you car is parked outside and freezing rain is going to hit. You don't want your car encased in a cm of ice. I think you may be able to do this with the new camping mode - but I am not 100% sure that you can initiate it from the app rather from the car.

The current version of the official Tesla app is supposed to be able to start camping mode, as long as your car has the correct firmware version.

I have never heard of this camping mode; sounds interesting if it does what I want...lol
Does is explain its affect on battery consumption?

Essentially the Tesla "camping mode" keeps the climate control running how you have it set until you turn it off, start the car, or the battery drains to 20% whichever comes first.

Battery consumption would depend entirely on what temperature you have it set to and what the weather is like outside the car.

• Informative
Reactions: wayner and Jaff
I just spoke to a gentleman working for the Tesla Sales office in California after I sent an inquiry regarding the heated rear seats and steering wheel on the Tesla website. He insists that all premium package Model 3 with subzero package will get the heated rear seats and steering wheel.

• Love
Reactions: doubeld
Forgot to mention he also said dual motor will also come with the smart air suspension, wasn't clear on if it would be mandatory but seeing ashow Tesla is looking to increase margins and simplify production I think its a safe bet that it will be bundled.

I just spoke to a gentleman working for the Tesla Sales office in California after I sent an inquiry regarding the heated rear seats and steering wheel on the Tesla website. He insists that all premium package Model 3 with subzero package will get the heated rear seats and steering wheel.
could you please ask him about our delivery dates too...lol...what about adaptive cruise control and intermittent wipers :)

I got air suspension as I had to unless I wanted to wait for months. But I never use it, at least manually. What do you use it for?
i really just think it is a much more smooth and adaptive ride...vehicle lowers at high speeds and is more stable around corners, stiff for sporty feel, or comfort for long highway drives...I just like the option and the technology, which is why this M3 as an entire package excites me. TECHNOLOGY :)

The whole "Just preheat your car" argument is ridiculous. It only heats the air in the cabin, and maybe your seat a little bit if the preconditioning even allows for the seat heaters to operate.

It's not ridiculous at all in my view. I use it a lot -- summer to cool, and winter to heat. It's so much better entering a cool vehicle than a blistering hot one, and a warm one than a freezing cold one. Yes, the steering wheel is still cold (they didn't offer heated steering wheel when I bought the cold weather package) but it's still so much better than entering an unheated vehicle. Tesla just needs to include the steering wheel heater in the preheat option to deal with your concern.

The current version of the official Tesla app is supposed to be able to start camping mode, as long as your car has the correct firmware version.

I don't see it in my app and I don't get why you'd even need it in the app. Camping mode is great when you are in the vehicle so it doesn't turn off. I use it at superchargers when it's cold and I want to crawl in the back and take a nap and not get cold while getting a charge. If I'm not in the vehicle, I preheat it just before I arrive. Camping mode in the app, if accidentally turned on, and left on for hours, could sure leave you with a shock if range is depleted more than can get you to a charging station.

Reactions: Jaff
I got air suspension as I had to unless I wanted to wait for months. But I never use it, at least manually. What do you use it for?
Every time I board a BC Ferry. I'm on the Swartz Bay - Tsawassen route several times a year and the car does it automatically :).

Also there are a few driveways that slope rather more than normal, that I occasionally use, so the car automatically remembering these places is also very convenient. One example: the driveway into the motel beside the supercharger at the Black Bear Diner in Grant's Pass OR has a huge hump just after the sidewalk. I scraped once, and didn't want to do it again.

I guess the other thing is, the car is set to automatically lower to Very Low at highway speeds (>80km/hr). So I use that all the time.

Every time I board a BC Ferry. I'm on the Swartz Bay - Tsawassen route several times a year and the car does it automatically :).

Also there are a few driveways that slope rather more than normal, that I occasionally use, so the car automatically remembering these places is also very convenient. One example: the driveway into the motel beside the supercharger at the Black Bear Diner in Grant's Pass OR has a huge hump just after the sidewalk. I scraped once, and didn't want to do it again.

I guess the other thing is, the car is set to automatically lower to Very Low at highway speeds (>80km/hr). So I use that all the time.
The car remembers and adjusts suspension automatically? Really?

that would be my plan....have the car just stay at a constant cabin temperature to avoid any accumulation...how much battery do you think that would eat up on a 8 hour work day? I'm such a sissy in the winter, but that's my reality.
Set to 19C, it ate about 8% of my 100 kWh battery in an 8 hour day where the ambient temp was around the 0C mark. I normally loose 1-3% just parked without the climate control on, so it’s not bad.

Camper mode isn’t really a mode, it just takes off the climate control timers, and puts the option to leave climate control active when you leave the car. It’s under the ‘Front’ climate controls on the touchscreen, near the bottom of that pop up window. The last app update also takes the 30 minute climate control limit off of the app so when you start the climate control from your phone, it doesn’t turn off until your battery hits 20%, or until you shut it off. Your car need v.48 or v.46 to enable all that I think.

The last app update also takes the 30 minute climate control limit off of the app so when you start the climate control from your phone, it doesn’t turn off until your battery hits 20%, or until you shut it off. Your car need v.48 or v.46 to enable all that I think.
So you are saying that if I turn on climate control in the app that it will keep the car at that temperature for days, assuming that the battery is above 20%? Are you sure?