Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a non-owner online reservation holder with an invite. I also want AWD for performance and added traction reasons but the uncertain doom of the $14k rebate is more of a consideration.

If Dual Motors costs at least $6,600, that's just shy of $7,500 after tax. And if the rebate is abolished by/before Dual Motors is available then it's a potential loss of around $21,500.

Ho hum indeed!
Say delivery takes the full 8 weeks, so make a decision 8 weeks before the election just to be safe. Between now and then, wait for the LR AWD version. If LR AWD isn't available then, just order the LR RWD and apply for the rebate.
That same friend from HQ. He said they are pushing the estimates from mid-2018 to late-2018.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Say delivery takes the full 8 weeks, so make a decision 8 weeks before the election just to be safe. Between now and then, wait for the LR AWD version. If LR AWD isn't available then, just order the LR RWD and apply for the rebate.

That same friend from HQ. He said they are pushing the estimates from mid-2018 to late-2018.

Would have to factor in some "Tesla time" buffer in there as well. The more I read peoples experiences with RWD, the less I am worried about not having Dual Motors. But I'll be taking a few days at least before making my decision.

Would have to factor in some "Tesla time" buffer in there as well. The more I read peoples experiences with RWD, the less I am worried about not having Dual Motors. But I'll be taking a few days at least before making my decision.

Here's my $0.02 for RWD/AWD: it all depends on the front/rear weight distribution of the vehicle. You want the car to be as close to 50/50 for best results in winter (def recommend winter tires).

Take a BMW 3 series coupe, which has about 50/50 weight distribution and decent traction control. I've driven one for about 5 winters and it was fine--no issues with good winter tires (same set), never lost control and never broke grip when accelerating normally. Compare that with a Lexus IS250 RWD, also with winter tires. BAD. It has a 60/40 weight distribution (F/R) and we resorted to putting weights in the trunk in the winter for better traction.

The Model 3 is about 50/50 distribution and excellent traction control, if it's anything like the S, so I am not surprised to hear these reports.

I have a RWD Dec 2013 S. On a rainy day, we held a Drive Electric Week event. Damp/wet roads. Flooring my car, there would be some stutter as the traction control figured out what to do. Went for a ride in my friend's early 2015 dual motor S same day, same weather. He floored it at the same spot I did; absolutely like the car was on rails, and/or on dry pavement. I was blown away.

I'm not worried (being in Victoria, not so much a problem anyway) with RWD, but I'm convinced AWD on Teslas is 100 times better.

I have a RWD Dec 2013 S. On a rainy day, we held a Drive Electric Week event. Damp/wet roads. Flooring my car, there would be some stutter as the traction control figured out what to do. Went for a ride in my friend's early 2015 dual motor S same day, same weather. He floored it at the same spot I did; absolutely like the car was on rails, and/or on dry pavement. I was blown away.

I'm not worried (being in Victoria, not so much a problem anyway) with RWD, but I'm convinced AWD on Teslas is 100 times better.

I had an overnight demo of a S75D last year. And you are correct, it drives like it's on rails. I've not driven a RWD S before.

For another data point: Model S owner, reserved two Model 3 about 1 minute after the web opened up on March 31 just before the reveal. Received an email yesterday 12:20pm PST saying ready to design. When I went into the design screen, it turns out that I could "Get Started" on both cars (I was expecting only the first being ready). Since my son and I are both more interested in dual motor, we both picked Hold. Tesla then asked a couple of questions what we were holding out for -- smart!

For another data point: Model S owner, reserved two Model 3 about 1 minute after the web opened up on March 31 just before the reveal. Received an email yesterday 12:20pm PST saying ready to design. When I went into the design screen, it turns out that I could "Get Started" on both cars (I was expecting only the first being ready). Since my son and I are both more interested in dual motor, we both picked Hold. Tesla then asked a couple of questions what we were holding out for -- smart!

Yeah, I definitely don't mind waiting, but the uncertainty of ON's rebate come June is what is pushing me to order sooner than later.

Yeah, I definitely don't mind waiting, but the uncertainty of ON's rebate come June is what is pushing me to order sooner than later.
My son is in the same boat with BC's rebate. He really wants AWD, but, when will it be available and when will the $5,000 rebate program run out of money or be cancelled? When will Tesla fill their government-decided quota for the added $6,000 Scrap-It program? Will the government renew the program in the new fiscal (April)? When will my son actually save some money? (haha, kidding there).

On the other hand, gas prices just took a 10c/L jump yesterday and apparently more on the way during summer.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Checked my Tesla account and can have LR Model 3 in 4 to 8 weeks, so trying to decide if I should sell my 2014 model S or delay my order for a few years. I'm happy with my model S i purchased last year but also wondering about losing out on the $14000 rebate.

Just want to remind you that $14K is gone for model S and X and it never exists for model 3. Yes, model 3 base price is less than $75K but Tesla's application for model 3 has to be approved before it can be listed on Ontario EV list. Tesla can submit their application anytime but Ontario government may not approve anything between now until after election completed. I wouldn't make an assumption that $14K will come because model 3 costs less than $75K.

My feeling is, on relatively flat surfaces, 2WD is equal to AWD for defensive driving. Power to 4 wheels helps you accelerate, and gets you up hills. Yes there's some additional traction control with AWD, but not so much that you couldn't drive safely in most Canadian cities with 2WD. AWD does not help you brake faster on snow or ice.

That said, I have to wait for AWD because we can't get up necessary steep hills in winter with only 2WD.

Great news!

Seeing now that invitation are already been sent out, what do you guys think of RDW in our weather? I have friends with RWD ICE cars and they wish they could go back in time and warn themselves not to buy! Is AWD absolutely necessary if you have good winter tires?

Thinking of my options since the interest rate is quite high. Thanks for your input!

Just want to remind you that $14K is gone for model S and X and it never exists for model 3. Yes, model 3 base price is less than $75K but Tesla's application for model 3 has to be approved before it can be listed on Ontario EV list. Tesla can submit their application anytime but Ontario government may not approve anything between now until after election completed. I wouldn't make an assumption that $14K will come because model 3 costs less than $75K.
Looks like I will wait till more things get sorted out. Also saw a posting that I could likely trade through Tesla even if I have my own buyer to save me the sales tax on the amount my S is worth. Not sure how to do that so I will have to talk to Tesla if 3 makes the approved list.

Looks like I will wait till more things get sorted out. Also saw a posting that I could likely trade through Tesla even if I have my own buyer to save me the sales tax on the amount my S is worth. Not sure how to do that so I will have to talk to Tesla if 3 makes the approved list.

Someone else mentioned that Tesla might not be doing convenience trades anymore. You should call a showroom and inquire for sure .

I am in Barrie, ON and I have never been without AWD, nor would I ever consider being without, so I am choosing to wait...would love to wait for the SR version, but if the Tax Credit is available this year, I will choose the WHITE, LR, AWD, PUP, and EAP with 18 AERO for my configuration. I have a 2009 White Mercedes Benz C350 to sell, if anyone is looking :)