Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are 20 here!

utzTCyo.png

Does anyone remember the VW commercial deep snow winter scene where they ask “do you ever wonder how the grader operator gets to the grader”.
Well that was a rear wheel drive Volkswagen Beetle.

I’m concerned the extra cost for AWD will put the Model 3 over the price point for many.
Don’t get me wrong AWD is great but most average cars don’t have it and drive just fine in all road conditions.
I changed my mind about spending the extra money for AWD. Good old rear wheels drive will work just fine

My feeling is, on relatively flat surfaces, 2WD is equal to AWD for defensive driving. Power to 4 wheels helps you accelerate, and gets you up hills. Yes there's some additional traction control with AWD, but not so much that you couldn't drive safely in most Canadian cities with 2WD. AWD does not help you brake faster on snow or ice.

That said, I have to wait for AWD because we can't get up necessary steep hills in winter with only 2WD.

AWD is a huge bonus in Canada because snow is a huge pain in the butt. Most cars with reasonable ground clearance and 2wd can do okay, and the peace of mind comes down to how much the buyer is willing to pay for it.

Personally, as a Canadian, for any vehicle that's driven year round I choose awd/4x4.

Reactions: sitter_k
Does anyone remember the VW commercial deep snow winter scene where they ask “do you ever wonder how the grader operator gets to the grader”.

I’m concerned the extra cost for AWD will put the Model 3 over the price point for many.
Don’t get me wrong AWD is great but most average cars don’t have it and drive just fine in all road conditions.
I changed my mind about spending the extra money for AWD. Good old rear wheels drive will work just fine
The real game changer is a set of four good snow tires. I can remember going up the fairly steep east side hill in Owen Sound, after the first snow/freezing rain of the year; when the lane in front of me was held up by several cars stuck and spinning their tires on the icy road. I went into the left lane with my front wheel drive Hyundai Accent, bought brand new for $9995.00, but with good snow tires on, and just sailed past the stuck cars, including some SUVs.
Our AWD Model S did not appreciably drive any better than our FWD Volt this winter, and we are in a snowy part of the country.

It really is all about the quality of the grip of the slippery surface of the road with the only part of the vehicle that actually touches the road. Is AWD with four good snow tires better than RWD with four good snow tires? No doubt, but probably not very much more.

The worst decision is to say....Oh, I have AWD so I can get by on All Season tires.

Please don't comment about how awd is needed in Canada unless you have actually driven a rwd Tesla in winter with snow tires, it's night and day from any 2wd ICE car you have in your experience. I've driven my rwd 60 for 3 Ontario winters and never had any kind of problem. Will awd handle better and get off the line a bit better? Yes. But it's far far far from a requirement for winter driving and IMO it would be the option I skip first (other than FSD) if a fully loaded Tesla was out of my budget. I'd much rather spend that chunk of cash on options I'll enjoy everyday or put towards the battery upgrade.

Also, in a Tesla snow tires with rwd will be 10x better than awd with all season tires.

It's funny you say that. My first AWD car was an Audi, and I was surprised how little control it had in snowy highway conditions compared to the VW I owned before, and the RWD BMW I owned afterwards. I loved the BMW RWD in the winter. In my mind, yes, if you're stuck in deep snow you need AWD for hopes of traction. Otherwise, RWD is really wonderfully predictable when combined with a wonderful traction control system. BMW definitely has that. I could point the car in any direction with the front tires, hit the accelerator, and it figured everything out to get me there. I can't say the same for the Audi AWD, which never really felt great. It might do well on dusty roads, but I don't think it's a particularly good car in the snow. The BMW AWD car I owned was fine, I guess, but RWD was my fav in the snow.