Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
85g’s?!?! Holy smokes! To have that kind of cash to play with...
I was all in to put a deposit down. But I waited till official pricing. As I thought, the thing is just too bloody expensive for me to use as a commuter car. Especially since it’s got steel in key places where winter will completely eat it alive in a few years time. Regardless of you slowing the process down by getting it Krowned.
I’m going to wait a few more years (by a few, I mean at least 8yrs lol). Maybe then prices for EV’s will be more reasonable.
I’m sad I have to give up my current Miata. But she’s very tired. Has 248k on the clock and the body is in need of restoration if I want it to last longer. Got a decent quote of about $4500 to do a full paint over and take care of the rust that’s formed along the rear wheel arches. She’s been Krowned since day 1 when I picked her up 10yrs ago. But alas the winters here are absolutely brutal.
I managed to squeeze in some autotrader time today and I managed to find a very decent mazda3 GT I’ll be looking at next week.
I don’t want to spend anything over 20g’s for a vehicle that’s going to get eaten alive by winter.

That's interesting. I haven't had any cars develop rust on me since my mid 90's Honda days. I've never rust proofed a car either. I just wash them regularly through the winter. My current Civic is an 09 and still looks brand new. my 2013 Rav4 is in the same condition.

I just got my email invitation (while reading this thread poetically)! Non-owner, online as soon as it opened, Eastern Ontario.

I'm waiting for the base model. Still really exciting to get the email though. I really hope that the rebates stick around until 2019 otherwise I'll have to wait a few years for used ones to get cheap enough for me.

That's interesting. I haven't had any cars develop rust on me since my mid 90's Honda days. I've never rust proofed a car either. I just wash them regularly through the winter. My current Civic is an 09 and still looks brand new. my 2013 Rav4 is in the same condition.
I had a Toyota that I drove until it was 11 years old and didn’t do any rust treatment and it was fine. Just washed it and kept it generally clean.

I have seen and heard Mazda’s are not good with salt and rust. I don’t know if it’s still true but 6/10 of all rusted out cars I saw were Mazda’s. I was happy to return the lease of my Mazda 3 after 3-4 years rather than risk rust.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ

It really depends on the roads you travel. Since I live within the GTA, they use salt like it’s going out of style. It doesn’t matter what brand of vehicle you have. I see cancer develop on all makes on all models within the gta. Which is why you rarely see a vehicle older than 8yrs around here. Everything is new or no more than 5yrs old. If you do manage to keep your ride going for longer you’re one of the lucky few.

My folks have German vehicles. A 3 series and a GLC. But they lease their rides. I can tell you right off the bat, the 3 series has rust already developing on its suspension and a bit of its undercarriage. It’s seen 1 winter. The GLC doesn’t get used as much as the 3 series, but it too is showing some rust in its rear suspension. But since they’re leased, my folks don’t really take extra care. That’s a problem the next owner will have to worry about. The cars are regularly washed and they don’t live anywhere environmentally harsh to the vehicles. It’s just the standard driving you do around town that causes this.
The GLC currently has 18k on the clock and the 3 series is at 40k.

It really depends on the roads you travel. Since I live within the GTA, they use salt like it’s going out of style. It doesn’t matter what brand of vehicle you have. I see cancer develop on all makes on all models within the gta. Which is why you rarely see a vehicle older than 8yrs around here. Everything is new or no more than 5yrs old. If you do manage to keep your ride going for longer you’re one of the lucky few.

My folks have German vehicles. A 3 series and a GLC. But they lease their rides. I can tell you right off the bat, the 3 series has rust already developing on its suspension and a bit of its undercarriage. It’s seen 1 winter. The GLC doesn’t get used as much as the 3 series, but it too is showing some rust in its rear suspension. But since they’re leased, my folks don’t really take extra care. That’s a problem the next owner will have to worry about. The cars are regularly washed and they don’t live anywhere environmentally harsh to the vehicles. It’s just the standard driving you do around town that causes this.
The GLC currently has 18k on the clock and the 3 series is at 40k.

I've lived in Etobicoke, Brampton and Caledon. Can't say I share your experiences. There's usually some rust on bolts and other bits, but nothing severe enough to say the car is rotting.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I must've been just behind you - got my invite at 8:45pm. Non-owner as well. I'm willing to bet the EHVIP doesn't survive under Ford Nation so I'm in as much as a dilemma as you. Argh.

I was dead set on AWD from the start. But now with a 4-8 week turnaround and the uncertainty of the rebate being here after June, I researched a LOT about RWD Tesla's in snow. Learning what I did, I decided that a RWD Model 3 is more than adequate for our climate. So I decided to pull the trigger now, rather than risk the rebate disappearing. I'll use that money saved for snow tires and a new set of summer rims.

Food for thought.

I was dead set on AWD from the start. But now with a 4-8 week turnaround and the uncertainty of the rebate being here after June, I researched a LOT about RWD Tesla's in snow. Learning what I did, I decided that a RWD Model 3 is more than adequate for our climate. So I decided to pull the trigger now, rather than risk the rebate disappearing. I'll use that money saved for snow tires and a new set of summer rims.

Food for thought.
Yah i really don't think AWD is needed on a Tesla especially in Southern Ontario. Not at the expense of a potential lost rebate.

Food for thought.
Yah i really don't think AWD is needed on a Tesla especially in Southern Ontario. Not at the expense of a potential lost rebate.

Thanks for the wisdom. I was leaning this way as well, just haven't been researching the RWD in snow as much as you have Tony. Appreciate both of your thoughts.

Big difference between the two of you might be that you @Tony_YYZ store outside, and @Neo_fd3s, do you store in a heated garage? (which re-melts the salty snow into the steel of your car every night).