Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Car needs service, Car May not Restart"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this issue on an older Model S forum but haven't located it for the Model 3. Tuns out the 12 Volt is unstable and fluctuating greatly and not sure what may have caused that. I only have 302 miles on the car and have been driving her off an on for 2 weeks. As Michigan isn't allowed to have service center locations the car is now on it's way to Cleveland. Any one experience this issue and any idea of how long I will be without the car?

I started receiving this alert basically every day until my service appointment. Long story short, my issue was specifically the rear motor.

First Alert: 10/05/2019
Service Date: 10/15/2019
Scheduled Pick Up Date: 10/21/2019

Tuesday - Dropped off car
Wednesday - Diagnosis started
Thursday - Diagnosis passed to another technician for further review
Friday - Issue identified
Monday - Scheduled pick up date

TeslaServiceCenter said:
Good morning! Thank you so much for your patience! The diagnostic technician has determined that the alert is being caused by an intermittent issue internal of the rear motor. To resolve it, we'll be replacing the rear motor. Based on the size of the job, we're likely looking at completion early next week...likely Monday.

I started receiving this alert basically every day until my service appointment. Long story short, my issue was specifically the rear motor.

First Alert: 10/05/2019
Service Date: 10/15/2019
Scheduled Pick Up Date: 10/21/2019

Tuesday - Dropped off car
Wednesday - Diagnosis started
Thursday - Diagnosis passed to another technician for further review
Friday - Issue identified
Monday - Scheduled pick up date

Update - Picked up my car today and car drove just fine with no alerts. Here is the description of work from the invoice

upload_2019-10-21_22-48-26.png

While waiting on a service appointment I have found that this error, on my car, seems to only pop up when I have a seat heater on.
Possibly it has more to do with the 12V system than with the rear motor, in my case?

I've read a lot of people getting rear drive units replaced with this error and it taking about a week or two..
For those who did not end up with a rear drive unit replacement, what did they end up fixing and how long did it take?

I've read a lot of people getting rear drive units replaced with this error and it taking about a week or two..
For those who did not end up with a rear drive unit replacement, what did they end up fixing and how long did it take?

I had no choice. The car was towed to the SC where they diagnosed the issue and replaced the unit. Technician said the rear drive unit shares the same circuit as the battery pack, so a problem with either one would pop the same error code. My issue did not involve the 12v battery issue, except that the car drained it to the point it would not move without a jump start from the tow driver.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Called me today in advance of my appointment and reviewed the logs
Tech wants to test my pack.. so we'll see how that goes.
Worst comes to worst, how long do pack replacements take... ?

Was also told they don't expect to have a loaner for me if they have car multiple days since they don't really have Model 3 loaners and they only give you a like for like loaner.. which is not great.

Separately they are having some scheduling issues as the date&time the caller had for me were different than what I booked, what their texts&email confirms/reminders said, and what the Tesla app currently says so... odd.

Called me today in advance of my appointment and reviewed the logs
Tech wants to test my pack.. so we'll see how that goes.
Worst comes to worst, how long do pack replacements take... ?

My car was in the shop two days- it is a quick job if they have the drive unit in stock. The tech said the rear seat is removed and the unit is easily accessed. It would have taken longer to replace the battery pack because it would have shipped from Reno.

My car was in the shop two days- it is a quick job if they have the drive unit in stock. The tech said the rear seat is removed and the unit is easily accessed. It would have taken longer to replace the battery pack because it would have shipped from Reno.

Thanks
They've had it two full business days and not even diagnosed anything yet.
Called end of day each day and first day it was clear they hadn't really looked yet, today sounds like it was under active investigation.
They seemed completely slammed with cars when I dropped mine off.

How accurate is the "estimated completion" in app?
My car was completely offline for ~2 days and popped back into app yesterday.
Got a notification they were charging it, then noticed an "estimated completion __" date now showing under the "in service" banner.
Curious as I've seen very little mention of this online...

Got the car back. Rear drive unit replacement. Took one week. Got a loaner for the second half of that period.
Reasonably happy with the service.

They are obviously swarmed and behind on communications but the staff themselves are great. Just need more of them.

Reactions: ceekz