Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cars in Tesla stores BEFORE we can order our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I hope this will happen, so we can go look at the cars and options.

Tesla should have early pre-production 3's shipped to the Tesla stores before we are able to order our cars. We need to see the options in person to make informed choices, just like any other car maker.

• Funny
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I seriously doubt it will happen for the early reservation holders. Perhaps those that placed reservations, say within the last month or so.

Dan
It probably won't be in stores while the employee deliveries are happening, but I would expect them to start hitting stores shortly after, so early reservation holders may get to take a look.

Remember, Tesla has always had "release candidates" before production release, so those would be able to hit stores for people to look at. They aren't technically production, but they would be close.

Those who received their Xs from launch to at least March, did not get to physically see the car. If you were able to test drive one during at least that period, you were one of the few. So, my comment is that for the first 6 or 7 months folks will be ordering without a hands on experience. I agree that it would be better to see and test drive prior to dropping your order. That "better" may be the price of getting your 3 delivered in the first year of production.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
Many early model S owners did not have a test drive. Tesla did have what they called the "Get Amped" tour. In major cities they had a day where you could go for a quick test drive. We took a test drive at Hawthorne--design center, SpaceX and supercharger. They had the street closed so you could do a full acceleration and then a quick spin on the freeway.

I hope this will happen, so we can go look at the cars and options.

Tesla should have early pre-production 3's shipped to the Tesla stores before we are able to order our cars. We need to see the options in person to make informed choices, just like any other car maker.
I thought the testbed for M3 options was the MS.

I would think that options such as AP would be the same on a MS than a M3. What option(s) do you think will be different?

Would be best if they build half a dozen model 3's and do a tour rather than sending one to each tesla store -- that way i can get my car a day or 2 quicker

if tesla doesn't have them available to check out prior to purchase, hopefully some early reservation holders will help out those of us who took 2 weeks to get wife approval.

Reactions: Mark C
Just putting this out there...

I'd prefer to have a test ride with an employee in his/her personal vehicle than to a have a test drive before taking delivery. In fact, @Elon I'd pay extra for this.

Hmm, they did not do it with the X, why do you think they will with the three?
I think it is more necessary with the Model ☰ than with any vehicle Tesla Motors has released thus far. Not so much to get new business, or even to confirm current Reservations, so much as it is to prove they are a 'REAL Car Company'. It would be a great way to shut up the incessant Tesla Naysayers who have claimed since, like, FOREVER that Tesla would NEVER release a mass market car. Plus, there are people who really don't 'see' things on a computer monitor very well (I used to work with someone who had to print out all their e-mail messages to read them), they literally have to see things in three dimensions directly before them to get a sense of scale and reality.

It wouldn't take much to manage. There are currently about 99 Tesla Stores/Galleries in the U.S. If Tesla manages to prevail in their court case against Michigan's Regulators and Elected Officials, they may be able to double that quantity through this time next year. So, they could send two cars to each location, a total of maybe 400 vehicles as demo cars by the end of 2017. Since their goal is to reach as many as 500,000 units per year, at 50 weeks per year, 400 cars comes to only 1/25th of a week's Production. And, those demo cars could be replaced periodically as they were sold at Retail. One car to sit in the showroom, one to use for test drives in the Real World. When the test drive car is sold, the showroom car is put into test drive service, and a new showroom car is Delivered. Tesla loses nothing.

Those who received their Xs from launch to at least March, did not get to physically see the car. If you were able to test drive one during at least that period, you were one of the few. So, my comment is that for the first 6 or 7 months folks will be ordering without a hands on experience. I agree that it would be better to see and test drive prior to dropping your order. That "better" may be the price of getting your 3 delivered in the first year of production.
That was unfortunately one of the mistakes that Tesla has had to learn from. Luckily, those who purchased Model S and Model X have been very forgiving of such mistakes. Tesla cannot afford to have no examples of the Model ☰ on hand for people to compare to other vehicles from the very outset.

The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) has fought tooth and nail to prevent Tesla from having a physical presence where the public can see and test their cars. Specifically because they know full well that traditional automobile manufacturers have NOTHING to combat the driving experience. The 'independent franchised dealerships' have seen their high end sales erode as Tesla's have climbed continually over four calendar years now.

Once the right to display and sell their cars is available everywhere, Tesla must press their advantage to the fullest. Already, the Tesla Model S, with an ASP over $90,000 outsells the Cadillac ATS, which has a base price below $40,000. That's with barely 100 Tesla locations, allowed in only 26 States, while Cadillac has over 900 franchise locations in the U.S. When the Tesla Model ☰ arrives, with a base price of $35,000 then Cadillac ATS is going to be absolutely blown away. I mention this because the ATS is Cadillac's best selling passenger car, and this is the second consecutive calendar year wherein it is being outsold by the Model S.

In fact, I checked and the Tesla Model S outsells every single passenger car that Cadillac offers. They'd might as well become an SUV company like Porsche (except that the Cayenne is being outsold by the Model X). I think this is just one example of how the 'franchise dealership system' has been entirely outmaneuvered by Tesla's direct sales method. It is a firm indictment of 'independent franchised dealerships' who have claimed that somehow Tesla would 'sell more cars' using them. Elon has been correct all along, franchises are a hindrance to mass market sales of electric vehicles.

GM Passenger Cars Outsold by Tesla Model S*
__ QTY ___ VEHICLE
____6524 _ Buick Cascada
___18524 _ Buick Regal
___19213 _ Cadillac ATS
____7876 _ Cadillac CT6
___14214 _ Cadillac CTS
_____531 _ Cadillac ELR
___19042 _ Cadillac XTS
_____897 _ Chevrolet Caprice PPV
____2919 _ Chevrolet SS
___21048 _ Chevrolet VOLT
___ *YTD through November 2016

IIRC, when the X deliveries started for people that had previously not seen it, weren't they able to drive it when they picked it up and cancel if they didn't like it? Or was just a rumor? It was on the internet after all.

This is the thing I'm actually most concerned about with the Model 3... My wife and I love our Model S but we were able to actually sit in one and check the ergonomics before ordering. If the ergonomics didn't work out for both of us, we wouldn't have bought the car. Full stop.

The same applies to the Model 3--if the ergonomics don't work for us, we won't want the car. I really hope that Tesla makes some available to take a look at and sit in before orders have to be confirmed.

I don't think having cars early for people to test drive is that abnormal in the auto business for extremely high demand models. I purchased a 2005 Mustang GT in early 2005 when there were none in dealerships. I couldn't test drive it. The only thing I saw were pictures of it in magazines. In order to be the first I had to put my money down and order sight unseen. Honestly it isn't that far fetched to expect early adopters of a brand new high demand car to have to buy the car site unseen.

Yes it would be nice to test drive before putting your money down but that might not be that reasonable of an expectation. Let's look at it more mathematically. Say Tesla in Austin gets 2 cars. One in the showroom and one for test drives. Over 400 people were in line before opening to put in a reservation in Austin. If it is a traditional test drive where people can decide if they want something or not it isn't that far fetched for them to spend 30 minutes per test drive. So in Austin alone that would be 200 hours or 25 straight days of test drives just for the people in line. Say 1/5 of the all the reservations in the first couple days were in line vs online that means 1000 people in Austin in the first couple days of reservations. That is 500 hours of test drives for one car. That means over two solid months of trying to schedule test drives for one employee 8 hours a day/7 days a week.

I just don't think it is reasonable at this point to give test drives to all the line waiters before they have to commit to purchasing the car just from a logistics standpoint. They might figure out something where people are given blocks and given 5 or 10 minutes with the car max but would that really be enough to satisfy most people ordering?

• Informative
Reactions: Chopr147
I don't think having cars early for people to test drive is that abnormal in the auto business for extremely high demand models. I purchased a 2005 Mustang GT in early 2005 when there were none in dealerships. I couldn't test drive it. The only thing I saw were pictures of it in magazines. In order to be the first I had to put my money down and order sight unseen. Honestly it isn't that far fetched to expect early adopters of a brand new high demand car to have to buy the car site unseen.

Yes it would be nice to test drive before putting your money down but that might not be that reasonable of an expectation. Let's look at it more mathematically. Say Tesla in Austin gets 2 cars. One in the showroom and one for test drives. Over 400 people were in line before opening to put in a reservation in Austin. If it is a traditional test drive where people can decide if they want something or not it isn't that far fetched for them to spend 30 minutes per test drive. So in Austin alone that would be 200 hours or 25 straight days of test drives just for the people in line. Say 1/5 of the all the reservations in the first couple days were in line vs online that means 1000 people in Austin in the first couple days of reservations. That is 500 hours of test drives for one car. That means over two solid months of trying to schedule test drives for one employee 8 hours a day/7 days a week.

I just don't think it is reasonable at this point to give test drives to all the line waiters before they have to commit to purchasing the car just from a logistics standpoint. They might figure out something where people are given blocks and given 5 or 10 minutes with the car max but would that really be enough to satisfy most people ordering?
I do not believe anyone is suggesting test drives for 'all' of those who have Reservations. I suspect a rather small percentage (WAG? Less than 12%) of those who have Reserved the Model ☰ will need a test drive to finalize their orders. I expect a few more (WAG? 18%) will need to at least look at the car in a showroom with their own eyes to make a final decision. The key word here is 'need'. People enjoy exploring in three dimensions.

I have never test driven any car before I bought it. But I did at least sit behind the wheel, adjust the seat, set the mirrors, check sight lines, to make sure I'd be OK with it. I strongly suspect I won't need to do even that much to get my Model ☰. But I may well do so anyway, just for the heck of it. And Tesla intends to double their presence for Sales/Service anyway.