Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cars in Tesla stores BEFORE we can order our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that a reservation placed today probably wouldn't be delivered until late 2018.

I believe Elon stated that the first year's run was sold out. I think he tweeted this at least a month ago.

Dan
Yep, I totally agree.

In business though....money shortens time. Tesla has a lot of it or at least access to it. I wonder why the Tesla time is still so stretched out.

In business though....money shortens time. Tesla has a lot of it or at least access to it. I wonder why the Tesla time is still so stretched out.
Not all business. There are some projects that you simply can't throw money and/or people at. Long lead time manufacturing equipment is a key example. Construction is another. It's especially true when you are building a lower cost product, and are margin sensitive.

Reactions: 3Victoria
Not all business. There are some projects that you simply can't throw money and/or people at. Long lead time manufacturing equipment is a key example. Construction is another. It's especially true when you are building a lower cost product, and are margin sensitive.
I agree that there are "some" projects like growing plants and or organic type projects that cant be impacted financially , however this isn't one of those. Manufacturing is one that you can throw money at and/or place competitive compensation against 2 companies.
This is indeed a project that will/can have money thrown at it to lessen the timeline.

I wish there was some kind of way to find out Tesla's priority/urgency in getting the M3 produced.

So far in the past year...there was one reservation date....and then one reveal date. Other than that....just a lot of hearsay. I wonder how many people will have birthed 2 children from the reservation date to the time they receive their car - even if they reserved on 3.31.16.

Oh yeah...I almost forgot. Tesla sent out a framed sketch to everybody.

A M3 in a store might happen....then again .... it might not.

Happy New Year!

If you figure 200 cars, one for the showroom, one for test drives, for use at each of roughly 100 current Tesla Stores/Galleries in the U.S.... And consider that to reach even a 300,000 unit per year manufacturing rate that comes to 6,000 cars built per week... Then those 200 cars would represent only ~3.33% of a week's Production. That is unlikely to have a significant adverse effect on Delivery dates for the potentially 160,000-to-240,000 Reservations that may currently be in place for U.S. Customers. But their existence would do a lot for morale for Tesla employees nationwide, and would lift the spirits of Tesla fans all over. Further, it would relieve anxiety for those who might be susceptible to claims of vaporware alleged by [SINKING ANCHOR] or FAUX News outlets. If there were also traveling test drive events, where as many as 12-to-16 cars were on hand at a time as a sort of Tesla Festival to introduce people to the Model ☰ it would awesome marketing and promotion as well.

If they were to send cars to the showrooms, I hope they'd be smart enough to send more than two... I'd like to see three (no pun intended). One for the showroom floor and two for test drives. One of the test drive cars would be fully optioned and one would be minimally optioned. That way you can compare two different sound systems, air suspension vs no air suspension, the acceleration between two different battery packs, see a few different exterior colors and interior options (vegan, leather) etc. The differences between the two cars would be substantial and not everyone can afford a maxed out 3.

Personally I had no plans on buying the Model S and was willing to wait for the Model ☰. Then I took a test drive in the S and 3 days later ordered one :) And it took 3 days because I had to sell it to my wife :)
Now the volume on a Model ☰ will be much more and test drives for all, I think, is too much for a car that Tesla has already sold! For the first 2 years anyway. I'm sure they will do some test drive "festivals" , events etc......but that is more for publicity. I still have my ☰ reservation but I won't be ready for it now until 2019 so I will delay mine. When the Tesla store has one in stock i will be headed down to check it out. Sit in it etc....... But if they want to give me a test drive I will not refuse :)

If they were to send cars to the showrooms, I hope they'd be smart enough to send more than two... I'd like to see three (no pun intended). One for the showroom floor and two for test drives. One of the test drive cars would be fully optioned and one would be minimally optioned. That way you can compare two different sound systems, air suspension vs no air suspension, the acceleration between two different battery packs, see a few different exterior colors and interior options (vegan, leather) etc. The differences between the two cars would be substantial and not everyone can afford a maxed out 3.
I was speaking in terms of a bare minimum of two per Tesla Store location at shopping malls, in order to emphasize that relative to Production rate, it would not be a problem at all. Certainly for locations that feature a Showroom and Service Center in a converted traditional dealership lot, they could find room for at least six cars. And sure, plenty of Staff to help as people came by for test drives. Also, some of them might be used as loaners for cars that needed to stay overnight.

Tesla Model 3: Tesla is ordering enough parts for a fleet of ~300 prototypes

Won't these cars be for test drives? That should be plenty.

-smak-

These are all likely for testing and validation of parts only.
@erthquake is correct, there will be very few complete cars built from those parts. And, even the cars that are built will not be the test drive vehicles, these'll be the beta prototypes, one step removed from the final, finished product that will come of the line.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
I wish there was some kind of way to find out Tesla's priority/urgency in getting the M3 produced.

So far in the past year...there was one reservation date....and then one reveal date. Other than that....just a lot of hearsay. I wonder how many people will have birthed 2 children from the reservation date to the time they receive their car - even if they reserved on 3.31.16.

Oh yeah...I almost forgot. Tesla sent out a framed sketch to everybody.

A M3 in a store might happen....then again .... it might not.
Garlan:
Dive into the nearest (heated) pool. Take a deep breath, then put your head underwater and stay there as long as you can. Start counting. 30 seconds? A minute?
I believe Tesla's "urgency" in getting the Model 3 into production is not too different from the urgency you would feel to come up for air.
Robin

Hmm, they did not do it with the X, why do you think they will with the three?

As to Model X you are a little off on saying they didn't do it. Sure the first ones came out without a show room option but people that wanted the lower capacity battery pack non P with 6 or 5 seats were so far back in the build queue that they got to see a Model X before confirming their build if they wanted to.

Take that to the next level with Model 3 and hundreds of thousands of reservations instead of tens of thousands and so long as you aren't a SpaceX, Tesla, Solarcity employee or don't live in California you have a decent chance of seeing a Model 3 in a store before you get to finalize your build.

On top of that if you don't choose the P/largest battery config you'll probably be behind 100,000 or so cars pushing you back further, giving you more time to find a demo car.

I was speaking in terms of a bare minimum of two per Tesla Store location at shopping malls, in order to emphasize that relative to Production rate, it would not be a problem at all. Certainly for locations that feature a Showroom and Service Center in a converted traditional dealership lot, they could find room for at least six cars. And sure, plenty of Staff to help as people came by for test drives. Also, some of them might be used as loaners for cars that needed to stay overnight.

1. this stops them from having to use gas rentals from enterprise or whoever when they sold all the S/X at end of quarter.
2. this is cheaper to replenish the inventory/demo fleet. Let S/X be special order / CPO only and let Model 3 be the bulk of the service fleet.

1. this stops them from having to use gas rentals from enterprise or whoever when they sold all the S/X at end of quarter.
2. this is cheaper to replenish the inventory/demo fleet. Let S/X be special order / CPO only and let Model 3 be the bulk of the service fleet.
Certainly consistent with what local BMW and Mercedes shops do for service loaners ... almost exclusively they loan out 3s/Cs even if you're having your M5 serviced.

Reactions: Red Sage