Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Cash final invoice fees in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi as the thread title says, looking to find out what fees to expect on a cash purchase of a model 3 in Texas outside of the upfront fees explained.
I have friends who have purchased and I see a high "acquisition fee" but they are all lease purchases.
Can someone enlighten me on what fees they paid and roughly how much to take delivery on a model 3 in Texas, paid in full cash?

Thanks Matt

Can't speak to paying cash as I went with pretty much free money at a 1.24% loan and left my cash in investments. Tesla only adds on about $80 on fees and then whatever your local tax collectors ads on top for sales tax, lic. etc.

Your MVPA should list whatever the costs you have to pay Tesla before you take delivery of your car. Typically the car's price, destination fee and doc fee.

Hi as the thread title says, looking to find out what fees to expect on a cash purchase of a model 3 in Texas outside of the upfront fees explained.
I have friends who have purchased and I see a high "acquisition fee" but they are all lease purchases.
Can someone enlighten me on what fees they paid and roughly how much to take delivery on a model 3 in Texas, paid in full cash?

Thanks Matt
You pay sales tax + registration fees.
The late fee is only if you delay.

73FF26BE-5B25-497A-BE49-5CF52BB2257C.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I spent 40 min downtown to get 1 plate and 50 min for the other. Even though one car I had longer, they wanted to charge me a late fee on the one I had far less time. In this case Feb vs. March. I received the docs from Tesla for both at the same time.

For anyone's benefit registering in Texas, most likely you will get your docs late from Tesla. Then the tax collectors want to impose a late registration fee. The workaround I found for that is to just get your car inspected shortly before you get your plates. Also make sure you take your envelope with you that shows the tracking info to bolster your case. I was able to get the late fee waived because of that. They use the inspection date rather than the dates Tesla used for the title info.

I paid cash too, and got the damn docs the last day before penalties. At least here in El Paso, the DMV satellite office checked the contract, since that's what they go by to assess taxes. I got the inspection done the day I got the car, since for some reason, Tesla told me they needed that to finish my deal, even though I was going to register the car myself. What sucks is you always get 2 years on a new car, but only if dealers do it, so only 1 year here. I didn't have to pay a doc fee, but like somebody said, if it was something reasonable, like the typical $150, I'd have paid it. It's a PITA to register a vehicle here. I had to stay hours, because it was the last day for me, before the $200 penalty kicked in.