Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 catches fire after hitting a stopped tow truck in Moscow (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Russian businessman Alexey Tretyakov was driving his Model S last night when it hit a tow truck that was servicing a vehicle on the highway near Moscow.”

It’s hilarious how they said “it” hit a tow truck. No, the driver was driving a car and HE got into an accident because he wasn’t paying attention. You don’t ever hear the media say the CAR was responsible for a crash it’s always the driver, but they love to say it’s the Tesla's fault whenever there is an accident with a Tesla. The driver himself clearly stated he was just using cruise control so it’s 100% on him. Sensationalism at its finest.

Seems like it was an accident waiting to happen. Cars should not have been in that lane at all. If the tow truck was there where were the police pushing traffic away from the tow truck. Also no buffer space on left shoulder at all.

Reactions: wenkan
Are we sure it’s a Model 3?

The stories I’ve read seem to be full of mistakes.

I've got the same question. If there is ANYTHING more distinguishable about the Model 3, it's the nose. Maybe it was the impact, but my front end isn't shaped like this one.

Accident.JPG

Passed a truck pulling a trailer 2 days ago that had burned to the frame at an exit. Could you please post a tread about that. Also just in the US there are about 400 car fires a day so worldwide it must be closer to 2000. Are all 2000 fires Tesla's and what are we not hearing about them?

Sadly we just had a firey accident occur in the SF bay area. The original car's driver who hit the barrier died, but all 4 of the cars ultimately involved in the crash went up in flames. Fire officials in the area said they have never encountered this many cars burning at one time. My husband had initially asked me if any of the cars were EVs since the fire was so involved. They weren't by the way as I'm sure it would have been reported.

4 vehicles catch fire in deadly 101 wreck, hours of delays possible as lanes reopen

The San Jose Mercury News reported this about the vehicles involved:
"The pile-on began when a 2011 BMW with an unidentified driver and a 2015 Ford driven by 23-year-old Gilroy man collided with the median divide while traveling northbound on Hwy 101, according to CHP. At some point three other vehicles also collided with the two stopped cars. Those vehicles were identified in a CHP news release as a 2017 Subaru driven by a 26-year-old Gilroy man, a 2017 Toyota driven by 35-year-old Salinas man and a 2019 Toyota driven by 54-year-old Hollister man. At some point the BMW was struck, killing the driver, and four of the five cars caught on fire." This was a massive accident affecting everyone traveling northbound on 101 so did get wide coverage. The Mercury News was the only article I read that identified the vehicles involved however.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
Sadly we just had a firey accident occur in the SF bay area. The original car's driver who hit the barrier died, but all 4 of the cars ultimately involved in the crash went up in flames. Fire officials in the area said they have never encountered this many cars burning at one time. My husband had initially asked me if any of the cars were EVs. They weren't by the way.

4 vehicles catch fire in deadly 101 wreck, hours of delays possible as lanes reopen
And none of the newscasters mentioned what make/model any of those cars were.

• Funny
Reactions: mtndrew1 and AZRI11
The hood has been ripped to the side.
I'm guessing the fire department cut to hood to gain access as it wasn't up on the car fire video.

That car did not explode. A fews cells are popping off now and then, but it's far from what the story title suggests.
Totally agree... I initially believed the same about the cells but I am not convinced this is actually a battery fire, rather one that started under the frunk made it into the car and involved all the foams and plastics in the car (just like a fully involved ICE car). The popping very well could be any undeployed airbag charges, cell phone, laptops, etc. that could have been in the car as they would be directly impinged by fire. The battery is under the floor also wrapped in metal, (so two layers of metal protecting cells from the interior) I guess the it's possible that the batteries could have been compromised but it seems unlikely that they would have a window into the car. From what I've seen, cells typically vent/torch out the sides of the case. Time will tell hopefully...

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
We had quite the discussion on this in a different thread this morning.
It was a Model 3.
Brakes (likely AEB since driver did not see truck and there was no swerving) kicked in just before collision. AEB is designed for a 25MPH deceleration.
Car hit the truck offset and spun on impact.
Driver broke both legs and nose, 2 child passengers only had scrapes
I'm of the opinion that the pack was not involved at all and that the airbags reached 300C and auto-detonated. Given the lack of hazards engaging after impact, I think the car did not register the collision as a crash (no airbag deployment) so the high voltage may have stayed enabled. Otherwise, it was the 12V battery and wiring that caught the interior on fire. There was no sign of fire from underneath in any of the pics I saw.