Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 catches fire after hitting a stopped tow truck in Moscow (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few years back I lived in a townhouse. Next door was an apartment building. One day a car in the parking lot just randomly caught on fire for no reason. Guy said he hadn’t even driven it in several hours. Burned his car to the frame and damaged 3 cars in adjacent parking spaces.

People always seem to make a big deal when an EV catches fire not realizing, or at least mentioning, that about 500 ICE cars catch fire every day.

On the stocks app, there’s two headlines about a model 3 and a model s hitting a tow truck and erupting into flames and exploding in Russia. I’m guessing this is the same vehicle and not two separate Incidents and just proves the media is out to get Tesla if they can’t even get which model it was correct.

This probably isn’t even worth posting but just a heads up for anyone who does day trading I guess. Ugh.

From video of the accident, it looks like it was a small offset crash. If the accident really did happen at 62mph as Electrek claims, the media should be praising how well the Model 3 did. IIHS conducts its small offset crash test at 40mph. I'm guessing that many cars that ace the 40mph test would have enough intrusion into the passenger compartment at 62mph that the driver wouldn't be able to get away with just a broken leg.

Does anyone know how software updates work if the car is imported into an unsupported region? I've heard conflicting reports that you may or may not get software updates (even if you use wifi). I bring this up because if there were no updates available or accepted then any improvements to the Model 3 Autopilot system is missing. (Not sure if that would have helped, but just a thought).

Also I agree about the fire thing, it seems like it may not be the battery, though I still would wait for a more formal conclusions . But the media sees fire, Tesla, and jump to conclusions.

The entire news thread is fishy. First it was an S, then a 3. Then there are traffic cameras but apparently only record in ridiculous poor quality.

I tried to take some screen captures from the Instagram video. The car seems to have a grill - I am guessing it would be the nose cone from first gen S (which would also indicate AP1), however, the grill looks bigger than the nose cone and almost looks like there is an oval emblem on the grill.

Odd there are no pictures from after the fire. I guess we just need to wait for Tesla to make a statement.

20190812_155903000_iOS.png
20190812_155927000_iOS.png

Interesting observation is that there is power available to keep the front & rear lights on well after the crash.

The main fuse on the traction battery is likely blown but there must be power available from the the 12 volt battery. Makes sense for safety.

From other thread (trying to consolidate)
Interesting observation is that there is power available to keep the front & rear lights on well after the crash.

The main fuse on the traction battery is likely blown but there must be power available from the the 12 volt battery. Makes sense for safety.
My understanding is that the main pack pyro fuse blows based on pack over current.The 12 V pyro blows if the airbags deploy.

It seems like the airbags did not deploy otherwise the hazards would have turned on, so the car may have still been active. The brake lights stay on post crash, which if the switch/ pedal were mangled, may have allowed it to stay 'on' with the driver's door open. There is video of them moving the car while it is still burning and the rear wheels turn freely which indicates that the parking brake may never have been set.

On the stocks app, there’s two headlines about a model 3 and a model s hitting a tow truck and erupting into flames and exploding in Russia. I’m guessing this is the same vehicle and not two separate Incidents and just proves the media is out to get Tesla if they can’t even get which model it was correct.

This probably isn’t even worth posting but just a heads up for anyone who does day trading I guess. Ugh.
Don't stress it, the media isn't out to get anyone. The original report from Russia was it was a Model S, but that was when it was on fire. Subsequent reports show it as a Model 3, so you're going to run into a mix of older and newer reports. No conspiracy theory required. Remember, the Tesla isn't officially sold in Russia, so not everyone can instantly recognize the model on fire.