Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 catches fire after hitting a stopped tow truck in Moscow (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few years back I lived in a townhouse. Next door was an apartment building. One day a car in the parking lot just randomly caught on fire for no reason. Guy said he hadn’t even driven it in several hours. Burned his car to the frame and damaged 3 cars in adjacent parking spaces.

People always seem to make a big deal when an EV catches fire not realizing, or at least mentioning, that about 500 ICE cars catch fire every day.

Had the same thing happen to a neighbour, his car caught fire without recent usage. Burned the siding off his house and melted the neighbours. Never saw a mention on CNN.

Looks like everything is all pretty simple here:

"The driver also confirmed previous reports that the vehicle was on Autopilot. He stated that he wasn’t paying attention at the time of the crash and didn’t see the tow truck before the crash.

Tretyakov says that he doesn’t blame Autopilot or Tesla for the accident.

Tesla says that drivers are always responsible to pay attention at all times and be ready to take control when using Autopilot."

https://electrek.co/2019/08/12/tesla-autopilot-brakes-model-3-crash-explosions/

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I saw another article where they interviewed 9 people about working at tesla. Sprinkled in the article were good and bad things to say about Tesla. One of them said that after seeing how the cars were made, they would never want to buy one for themselves. It didn’t elaborate of course but that type of thing can give just about anyone pause.

I saw another article where they interviewed 9 people about working at tesla. Sprinkled in the article were good and bad things to say about Tesla. One of them said that after seeing how the cars were made, they would never want to buy one for themselves. It didn’t elaborate of course but that type of thing can give just about anyone pause.
A colleague of mine used to work at a Toyota plant. He said the same thing.

Does that mean all Toyotas are bad?

A coworker's Toyota Tacoma caught fire 8 days ago in a Walmart parking lot. Just had his brakes done at Firestone two days prior. Fire was put out quickly enough to not have it burn to a crisp. He took photos of the wheel well and saw oil leaked from the brake line. Wish I had the photos. Maybe the Russian accident caused brake oil line to catch on fire, then the airbags exploded?

Likely Tesla will come out with a statement about the accident. My money is on AutoPilot not being engaged. Right now we only know what the driver said. I don't believe that the car aggressively braked hard enough before the accident. Mine tries to put me through the windshield when it does it's emergency braking thing. The alarm would have gone off alerting the driver of an obstacle. I think at this point in time the driver reacted. All speculation but I believe the car would have slowed much faster if it was in control.

Likely Tesla will come out with a statement about the accident. My money is on AutoPilot not being engaged. Right now we only know what the driver said. I don't believe that the car aggressively braked hard enough before the accident. Mine tries to put me through the windshield when it does it's emergency braking thing. The alarm would have gone off alerting the driver of an obstacle. I think at this point in time the driver reacted. All speculation but I believe the car would have slowed much faster if it was in control.

I had a similar situation with a car parked on the side of the road, i passed the car but it was pretty close. The thing is that the alarm went off after I passed the car, so I won't count too much on this system.

A coworker's Toyota Tacoma caught fire 8 days ago in a Walmart parking lot. Fire was put out quickly enough to not have it burn to a crisp. He took photos of the wheel well and saw oil leaked from the brake line. Wish I had the photos.

Dang, that's convenient the fire left enough evidence to see oil leaked from a recently worked on brake line. How hard was he driving that truck to cause the (assuming) brakes to be hot enough to ignite the oil? Or did they ignite off an exhaust manifold?

Dang, that's convenient the fire left enough evidence to see oil leaked from a recently worked on brake line. How hard was he driving that truck to cause the (assuming) brakes to be hot enough to ignite the oil? Or did they ignite off an exhaust manifold?
He showed me the pictures. I'm not a mechanic, but it looked like the brake line caused it.

All speculation but I believe the car would have slowed much faster if it was in control.
AEB is designed for for a 25MPH deceleration, car was initally going 62 (100 kph). A typical driver would have swerved as well as braked.

He showed me the pictures. I'm not a mechanic, but it looked like the brake line caused it.

Brake fluid in it's own isn't going to start a fire. Plus you would feel it in the pedal if it were leaking. If the caliper piston got stuck then it could overheat the brakes and catch things on fire. At which point it could melt the rubber brake line causing a leak.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and AZRI11
AEB is designed for for a 25MPH deceleration, car was initally going 62 (100 kph). A typical driver would have swerved as well as braked.

Brake fluid in it's own isn't going to start a fire. Plus you would feel it in the pedal if it were leaking. If the caliper piston got stuck then it could overheat the brakes and catch things on fire. At which point it could melt the rubber brake line causing a leak.
That is probably what happened to my coworker's Toyota. This was a different fire that happened a year ago in front of my house. Never found out the cause. It didn't hit anything
20180811_181718_011.jpg