Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 CCS Charger Compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
I thought, given my mixed experiences with the Kona, it would be useful to start a thread where we can post our experiences of using third-party chargers with the Model 3. So, to be clear, these are not Tesla Superchargers, but rapid chargers run by other networks.

Hopefully this will sway the odds when we’re playing Charger Lotto - will it work or not?

I’ll start us off with a Pod-Point Rapid at Lidl, Gipton, Leeds. 43kW on CCS. No problem at all.

Reactions: davidmc
In order to charge Tesla at third party chargers, do we need ccs charge adaptors?

Can we use the pod point chargers straight away or we need adaptors?

Model 3 - The charge port uses the CCS standard
Model X/S - These use the proprietary Tesla connector, so will need an adapter to mate with a CCS charger

Do the Model S and Model X have access to third-party charging networks?
Model S and Model X owners may use a CCS Combo 2 adapter to connect to compatible third-party networks. Model 3 can directly plug into third-party networks using CCS Combo 2 connectors.

How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
All legacy Model S and Model X owners will require a service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit for June 1, 2019 or later at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service will cost £425, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter (£145 when purchased separately).

Reactions: Roy W.
Just out of interest have any of you had joy with your 3 on Ecotricity CCS chargers?
My car failed ecotricity CCS with this error:

IMG_20190810_135813.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2
I tried Ionity CCS in Maidstone with Model 3. First attempt led to an error message on the Model 3's screen which made it sound like the car needed to be fixed by Tesla, when it was actually a problem with that charging point.

Called Ionity up and moved to next charging point and managed to get max of 191kw early in the charging session.

Used CCS on Polar Network and worked really well, got a 48kw (200miles/hr) peak speed. 15p/kw

CCS Charger Address - The Blue Peter Stonehouse, Shardlow Road, Derby, DE24 0JH (In the car park to the left as you enter)

Nearly had a go on the Ecotricity at Jct 23a services but is twice the price per KW.

I have the 3 month free trial on Polar to see how much i use it but so far used it twice :) and very easy to use.

Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2