Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Center Console Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this similar to installing phone skins?

No. Most phone skin installs that I’ve done involve using a soapy solution to help position the film, and then squeegeeing out the water. This is a completely dry install. U gotta line it up pretty perfectly, place it down, and then “massage out” all the wrinkles. The problem is that it sticks to everything on contact, so you’re constantly needing to lift and and readjust to get a better fit. The material is pretty forgiving and stretchy, but is really hard to work with and line up imo.

No. Most phone skin installs that I’ve done involve using a soapy solution to help position the film, and then squeegeeing out the water. This is a completely dry install. U gotta line it up pretty perfectly, place it down, and then “massage out” all the wrinkles. The problem is that it sticks to everything on contact, so you’re constantly needing to lift and and readjust to get a better fit. The material is pretty forgiving and stretchy, but is really hard to work with and line up imo.
Thanks. Phone skins sound easier :)

Installed @Kenriko 's matte black console wrap this weekend. Super easy and I'm so happy not to have to constantly dust my center console anymore!

Attachments

• Full Shot-console1.jpg
    Full Shot-console1.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 318
  • closeup_pic.jpg
    closeup_pic.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 276
I've used 3M 1080 wrap - Carbon Fiber Black CFS12 with a sharp cutting blade and simple tools on 3 cars already and it's pretty easy. Buying a 1ft by 5ft piece on Ebay with the cutting tools cost around $30 bucks and is enough to complete the job and have a couple of spare sheets to do your driver power window switch and steering wheel spokes or another set of center console. I've done 3 cars the past few weeks and it's pretty simple to complete over the weekend. Made some mistakes on my car being first, but the last car came out pretty nice.

The 3M 1080 carbon fiber version being matted is easy to use and mistakes can be corrected or adjusted easily. I would think the high gloss types are harder to use especially the dash edges and corners.

IMO, buying pre-cut wrap is great but I prefer the extra material when buying a 1ft x 5ft

Attached PDF of the different versions of 3M 1080 wrap.

Attachments

• Wrap_Film_Series_1080_SellSheet_0118_LowRes.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
I'm actually looking for a clear "protector" instead of a wrap, like this Model 3 Center Console Glossy 3M Protection Cover

Anyone install this or a similar clear gloss protector? I'd like to preserve the high gloss piano black look.TIA

Any luck finding a clear gloss protector that is pre-cut? I'm also looking to keep the gloss piano black look. I currently have the matte black installed and it's pretty flat and boring. I got quotes from other shops that can do a custom install but it's a bit pricey.

@Kenriko , are you going to have more door trim kits in matte black up on Amazon soon? I’ve been watching the website for awhile and it’s still showing as out of stock. I wouldn’t mind getting an extra kit in white.

(If white door trim kits aren’t in the works, how would I make them myself? Is there a specific vinyl to order and are there any places that would be able to cut the vinyl?)

For the kits in general, I’d actually wouldn’t mind some sort of indicator on the door area to help people use the door buttons and not the emergency lever. It doesn’t have to be something in large friendly letters per se ;).

@Kenriko , are you going to have more door trim kits in matte black up on Amazon soon? I’ve been watching the website for awhile and it’s still showing as out of stock. I wouldn’t mind getting an extra kit in white.

(If white door trim kits aren’t in the works, how would I make them myself? Is there a specific vinyl to order and are there any places that would be able to cut the vinyl?)

For the kits in general, I’d actually wouldn’t mind some sort of indicator on the door area to help people use the door buttons and not the emergency lever. It doesn’t have to be something in large friendly letters per se ;).

Door trims will start coming back in-stock next week.