Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ceramic Detailing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

My model 3 will be delivered in the next week or so and I live in Michigan where the weather is not friendly.

A local and well reviewed detailer has priced a ceramic coating at $400 rated for 5 years. It takes about 5 hours to do.

Is there any reason not to do this considering I'll have this car for 3-5 years? I'll also avoid car washes as well and wash it by hand.

It's not a lot to spend considering the overall cost of the far. But I also don't want to throw good money at bad.

Reactions: enemji
Hey everyone,

My model 3 will be delivered in the next week or so and I live in Michigan where the weather is not friendly.

A local and well reviewed detailer has priced a ceramic coating at $400 rated for 5 years. It takes about 5 hours to do.

Is there any reason not to do this considering I'll have this car for 3-5 years? I'll also avoid car washes as well and wash it by hand.

It's not a lot to spend considering the overall cost of the far. But I also don't want to throw good money at bad.
Just got mine done today and can tell a big difference. Will see how well it holds up. If you are only keeping for 3-5 years it may not be worth it. The 5 hours seems concerning. Most require 5-6 hours for wash, degreaser and first coat then at least 8 hour cure before the top coat.

Attachments

• PXL_20220306_184037425.jpg
    PXL_20220306_184037425.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Upvote 0
It won't feel like 5 years it actually won't feel like more than a couple months. Don't let the industry fool you, you're going to have to wash your car the same way you did before the ceramic if you want to keep a clean car. Wash, wax and ceramic your car as you feel comfortable but there is not much of a difference at all between a so called ceramic, graphene and a regular clean and wax you can do for pennies on the dollar and still have to do anyway with ceramic. I learned the hard way just passing along info to a fellow enthusiast.

Upvote 0
It won't feel like 5 years it actually won't feel like more than a couple months. Don't let the industry fool you, you're going to have to wash your car the same way you did before the ceramic if you want to keep a clean car. Wash, wax and ceramic your car as you feel comfortable but there is not much of a difference at all between a so called ceramic, graphene and a regular clean and wax you can do for pennies on the dollar and still have to do anyway with ceramic. I learned the hard way just passing along info to a fellow enthusiast.
I agree with this. I think ceramic may have some benefits over a traditional wax, but I don’t think the benefits are that much better than regularly washing and waxing your car to justify the added cost/effort of a ceramic coating.

I think most people on this forum get excited when they see pics of a freshly-coated Tesla with ceramic, but that shine can be achieved with a proper clay/wax that costs significantly less

Upvote 0