Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 CHAdeMO adapter is coming soon-part number already assigned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

In the newly released Tesla Model 3 Parts catalog there is a section named "Adapters".

Item number 11 in the list is as follows:

CHAdeMO Adapter- NA. 1036392-10-D

I did not copy the parts catalog page because the poster on Scribd asked not to copy, but anybody can view it at:
Download the Tesla Model 3 Parts Catalog in PDF - X Auto

This would seem to be the absolute confirmation we needed but it appears not yet to be on sale.

In case it helps, if you search for "1036392-10-D" in bing you get:
Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter

If you look at that URL, it contains the part number. The page is titled:

This could suggest that the Model 3 doesn't need a new (physical) adapter, just software unlocking.

Or, they included some S/X stuff in the 3 parts manual by accident.

Or, they just screwed up.

It's odd that there's a gap between number 5 and 11 and the PDF (on the page titled "5001 - Mobile Connector").

Reactions: jbcarioca
In case it helps, if you search for "1036392-10-D" in bing you get:

If you look at that URL, it contains the part number. The page is titled:

This could suggest that the Model 3 doesn't need a new (physical) adapter, just software unlocking.

Or, they included some S/X stuff in the 3 parts manual by accident.

Or, they just screwed up.

It's odd that there's a gap between number 5 and 11 and the PDF (on the page titled "5001 - Mobile Connector").
I noticed that it is the same part number as the CHAdeMO adapter I have for my S. Indeed it seems likely that this is maybe software only, just as a few people have speculated. The reason I pointed this out is that that part was not previously in the Model 3 parts list, and now it is.

BTW, if somebody did not notice this is the North America version (i.e. Tesla native plug) rather than the EU (modified Mennekes).

Because i thought it might happen this way I have kept my Model S CHAdeMO adapter.

The Parts Catalog shows the CHAdeMO adapter along with all of the other Model 3 adapters for the UMC. It even shows a picture of the adapter. The end of the description is NA. Could mean Not Available or North America?
It should mean North America because the charge port is different in North America than the rest of the world, except Japan, which uses the NA charge port. Since the Parts Catalog is only for the USA, we can't easily see the name of the European CHAdeMO adapter which fits their charge port.

Reactions: jdcollins5
I hate to be cynical, but I am starting to get the feeling that Tesla is intentionally not prioritizing coming out with a CHAdeMO adapter as in the US they are winning the charging standards game with their proprietary connector. Tesla may feel there is enough supercharger density so far that CHAdeMO is not necessary to hit their sales goals on the M3 (clearly not an issue so far). By having all these popular model 3’s on the road with no CHAdeMO support it takes away a lot of incentive for folks like cities and states to install fast charge CHAdeMO locations. Basically Tesla keeps a monopoly on fast charging Tesla’s and keeps other vehicle manufacturers at a disadvantage due to a lack of fast charge infrastructure.

Maybe there is a technical reason for this delay, but I just can’t see what it is since the hardware should be compatible. Even if the answer is just “priorities”, it does seem to work to Tesla’s advantage.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I hate to be cynical, but I am starting to get the feeling that Tesla is intentionally not prioritizing coming out with a CHAdeMO adapter as in the US they are winning the charging standards game with their proprietary connector. Tesla may feel there is enough supercharger density so far that CHAdeMO is not necessary to hit their sales goals on the M3 (clearly not an issue so far). By having all these popular model 3’s on the road with no CHAdeMO support it takes away a lot of incentive for folks like cities and states to install fast charge CHAdeMO locations. Basically Tesla keeps a monopoly on fast charging Tesla’s and keeps other vehicle manufacturers at a disadvantage due to a lack of fast charge infrastructure.

Maybe there is a technical reason for this delay, but I just can’t see what it is since the hardware should be compatible. Even if the answer is just “priorities”, it does seem to work to Tesla’s advantage.

Doesn't make much sense though unless what they're attempting to do is turn the Supercharger network into a profit center. But the whole west coast is littered with state sponsored CHAdeMO locations and for the state of Hawaii that's really the only fast charging option currently available. They're supposed to have a couple Superchargers opening on O'ahu "in 2018" according to their site, but they're running out of time to hit that deadline. ...and that's still just one island. Big Island has a lot of real estate and the only fast charging options available are from the electric company, using CHAdeMO. Looks like a lot of those do support CCS as well. Whichever. I just want a working/functional adapter for the Model 3 so in areas where Supercharging is unavailable I have other fast charge options.

I use a lot of those ChaDemo locations with my Rav4EV (which has been upgraded to do ChaDemo). They're essential for me.
The state-sponsored ones are generally 25KW btw, not 50KW like say the one at the Tracy Mall. 25KW is actually pretty slow for Tesla folk...

I'd buy a CCS adapter in a heartbeat, especially if it's capable of 200+ amps. I just can't get excited about a 125A CHAdeMO adapter, especially for $450.

Some of us have them already so we do get excited -- especially if it's just a software update. Please bring it on! I can't see why it works on my S but not on my 3. That makes no sense!

Oregon and Washington have a bunch of CHAdeMo chargers in the West Coast Electric Highway. They were quite fast when I was using them in my model S. I think they could be cheaper at a flat $7.50 per charge. Very useful to have around here.

Wow! That's a cool plan, four fill-ups and you have paid for the month. Must be nice to have cheap electricity like that.

I did just discover we have Home Page - DRIVEtheARC here in CA that goes past my house in both directions in CA and is currently free, but I can't use Chademo.

-Randy
Yes, DRIVEtheARC is free but those chargers only output 100 amps. If you pay EVgo at their other stations, you will usually get 115-125 amps. You may also have to trick the app and tell it that you have a Leaf or Soul EV to get the free "ticket" to enable the free charging.

If you drive to the Tahoe or Truckee area, a Chademo adapter could be a handy item, especially on days when you're stuck for hours in traffic on 50 or 80 The only chargers between the Sacramento/Roseville/Folsom area and the Truckee/Tahoe area are Chademo or CCS (near Strawberry on HWY 50, Nyack and elsewhere on Hwy 80).