Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Charge to 80% or 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost spit out my water looking at your updated signature, btw... rofl. Yes, I feel for you, haha

It's a little bit of a lie ...

The Buick isn't really hers. It's about 50% of a Buick, really. About 40% of that belongs to State Farm now. There's another 10% unaccounted for - whether it's embedded in the deer, or on the side of the highway, or just missing after the first body shop just started stealing everything not nailed down ... who knows?

BTW if you were playing along at home; here are just some of the documents related to the original body shop that started this whole mess. The Lexus dealership is the primary of the "group" that bankrupted my Buick dealership... but there's at least 5 dealerships all run into the ground under their ownership. Fun reading how much shady stuff went on behind the scenes. I'm super lucky to have escaped the worst of it.

CTE 1 LLC dba Lexus of Englewood: Documents List

I almost spit out my water looking at your updated signature, btw... rofl. Yes, I feel for you, haha

So just to close the loop on the signature (which is updated yet again!) ...

95 days, $22,000, 2 body shops, 4 tow trucks, 1 bankruptcy and a factory strike later.... and the order of the world has been restored! Picked up our Enclave from the body shop today. Amazing work - can't recommend them enough. Collision Restoration in Fairfield, NJ; they're a Tesla certified body shop as well, so I'm incredibly relieved to know I have such a great shop in my backyard. I'm going to have them touch up the curb rash that someone (not me, not the wife) gave me taking the Model 3 for a test drive... hopefully that's all I'll ever need.

But yeah, it feels great to regain custody of the Model 3. It's like I've won a paternity suit or something!

Damn Deer Did Damage ......
IMG_3960.jpeg

.... but you'd never know it. Amazing body work!!!
IMG_4532.jpg

My model 3P has less than 2000 miles on it and I was getting 279 miles at 90% charge until 40.50 update. Then it dropped overnight to 265 miles at 90%.
Hi, I believe that, after an update the total miles can go awry due to software reasons. Don't you need to charge it to 100% to reset the calculation?
Sure I've seen some online post or details on this previously 🤔

This seems online with an article I read. We have a M3P, just over 1 month old. Have been trying to assess the best balance for charge habits vs usage patterns. We were charging to 80% from ~20% when we first got it as per Tesla recommendation, once or twice a week.
After reading that article we have started sticking to 30% min to 70% charge in general and based on our usage patterns and having charger in garage anyhow. We are charging every 2-3 days now (it works for us most of the time). That seems to be the best for the battery longevity, according to the article, though it also mentions Tesla recommended.
I'd say it really depends on your needs as some who tnd to travel further will likely need to charge to 90% daily 🤷🏽‍♂️ each to their needs, I guess.

This seems online with an article I read. We have a M3P, just over 1 month old. Have been trying to assess the best balance for charge habits vs usage patterns. We were charging to 80% from ~20% when we first got it as per Tesla recommendation, once or twice a week.
After reading that article we have started sticking to 30% min to 70% charge in general and based on our usage patterns and having charger in garage anyhow. We are charging every 2-3 days now (it works for us most of the time). That seems to be the best for the battery longevity, according to the article, though it also mentions Tesla recommended.
If you believe the degradation graphs that @AAKEE tends to post, it is likely best to minimize the amount of time that the battery is above 55% (for NCA batteries) or 70% (for LFP batteries). What that suggests is the following methods when it is necessary to charge to a higher level than that:
  • Using scheduled departure charging to finish charging just before driving off.
  • Charging to a level so that after the day's driving is done, the car reaches its overnight parking space below 55% or 70%.

Reactions: AAKEE
I'd say it really depends on your needs as some who tnd to travel further will likely need to charge to 90% daily 🤷🏽‍♂️ each to their needs, I guess.
That article/text with a picture that was in the link... @Zoomit here on TMC made that picture from the description of what EV_tech or something like that nick (and mayber some others) said. He was not a battery expert but made it as good as he could from the description he got.

The thing is, that picture does not match research of battery degration of lithium ion batteries. There a couple of faults, and at low SOC there is no "stress". Its easier to look at a correct chart than to try to understand whats not right in that picture.

If looking to reduce degradation:
-Use as low SOC as possible
-Charge often (helps the point above), and also reduces the size of the cylces which is good.
-Charge late: charge before the drive, so the car is just finished with the charging when its time to go to work etc.

Here's the best article on the topic "resetting" your range