Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging adaptors question

asherwood

Nov 21, 2019
UK
Hi

I’m aware that the model 3 supports type 2 adaptors, however looking at a lot of rapid chargers they have different types e.g. ccs.

Is there any support in the model 3 for these other types in the UK or are we limited to type 2?

thanks
Scott

NorfolkMustard

Apr 18, 2019
M3P w/FSD
CCS is a combined standard, at the top of the connector is a Type 2 and at the bottom are the two phat pins for DC

Your home AC charger will just use the top Type2 part of it.

At DC fast chargers, including Tesla Superchargers, you’ll want to use the CCS cables

It’s as if someone thought this through just a little ;)

Combined Charging System - Wikipedia

1FF94700-68EB-4921-B30A-9E43EB9E317B.jpeg

at Tesla Superchargers you can only use the CCS one, the (modified) Type2 cable only fits model S/X - see the little triangle notch on the centre pin below

stall-new.png

Last edited:

BK11SBY

Dec 9, 2019
Northamptonshire, UK
Type 2 is standard on S3X
CCS is Type 2 with 2 Large DC pins added underneath, standard on 3 (supported with adapter on SX)
Chademo only supported with bulky adapter S3X

Chademo is on the way out as I understand, so I wouldn't worry, as a 3 owner you are well covered. with Type2/CCS

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC