Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging ampere issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I recently purchased a rwd m3. I have noticed that my charging in the app is stuck at 16A. Even when I plug into the supercharger it stays at 16A. I cannot change to 32A. No error messages showing in the car. Can someone please guide me. Do i need to book it in for servicing.
93065B8E-9F44-47A7-B712-088637D7B20C.jpeg

The standard CCS chargers. Not using any adapters
What you said does not make any sense.

Edit: I see you’re in the UK and assume you’re talking about supercharging. I so love that the new mobile skin for this site hides that information. 🙄

As I said in my other post, the amperage setting has nothing to do with supercharging. It does nothing to control how fast your car supercharges.

Your car has an 11.5kw onboard charger for level 2 charging at home. In the UK I believe that’s represented as 3 phase 240v x 16 amps, which is what you’re seeing in the app.

Last edited:
The amperage setting does not control anything at all related to supercharging.
Ahh. Makes sense now. I was thinking that my supercharging speeds might be faster if i could change the ampere from 16 to 32. So if i use third party 50kwh chargers or the tesla superchargers it doesn’t matter if the ampere is 16 or 32? Thank you so much for clarifying. I am a noob to ev cars haha. Been a bmw driver for as long as i can remember.

I was thinking that my supercharging speeds might be faster if i could change the ampere from 16 to 32. So if i use third party 50kwh chargers or the tesla superchargers it doesn’t matter if the ampere is 16 or 32?
Yeah, you can't turn it up. And you can't turn it down, either. It will not let you turn it down and make it slower, because the point of Supercharging or other fast DC charging is to get it done as fast as it can to get you out of the way to free up the charging stall. So the car and station communicate to manage that and get it done quickly, and you don't get a speed control for that.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Have 220v in the garage that I charge the car through. I have scheduled charging set to be done at a specific time in the morning. Now amperage stuck at 16 instead of charging at 32. Now taking longer past scheduled time to be done. Reset to 32 in the car’s interface but defaults back to 16…. Any suggestions?

Have 220v in the garage that I charge the car through. I have scheduled charging set to be done at a specific time in the morning. Now amperage stuck at 16 instead of charging at 32. Now taking longer past scheduled time to be done. Reset to 32 in the car’s interface but defaults back to 16…. Any suggestions?
You may have a failing charging board in your Power Conversion System (PCS). Not terribly uncommon.

Reactions: Big Earl