Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging and Other Queries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't that just make it hard to plug something in? I want to make it easier! To be honest, I originally planned to have the power point behind the gate (on a

Yeah that just makes the process more fiddly. And lowers the wife acceptance factor :)

North facing wall unfortunately) but the sun would likely ruin the UMC (and the rain might get into the tail end) and also possibly the Wall Charger so I'm going to have to put the wall charger out the front under the eaves of the house. It's not ideal, especially since it's really only 4 screws to remove it. The Gen 3 is much simpler to remove than the Gen 2.

The wall charger is outdoor rated. I've seen ones at rural motels that have been out in the elements for several years without issue.

If you're concerned about the unlikely possibility of someone attempting to pinch it, you could have your sparky install the isolation switch at an inaccessible spot. This would mean the crook wouldn't have an easy way to power it down before attempting to steal it. They'd have to want it pretty bad...

Yeah that just makes the process more fiddly. And lowers the wife acceptance factor :)

The wall charger is outdoor rated. I've seen ones at rural motels that have been out in the elements for several years without issue.

If you're concerned about the unlikely possibility of someone attempting to pinch it, you could have your sparky install the isolation switch at an inaccessible spot. This would mean the crook wouldn't have an easy way to power it down before attempting to steal it. They'd have to want it pretty bad...
Watch the video, for the Gen 3 to come off you undo 4 screws and it unclips effectively. Super easy to the point where I'd do it myself if the unit failed. The Gen 2 charger is a different animal. I guess I could install it behind the gate in the sun and if there are reliability issues, move it to the front under the eaves afterwards. Once repaired!

Watch the video, for the Gen 3 to come off you undo 4 screws and it unclips effectively. Super easy to the point where I'd do it myself if the unit failed. The Gen 2 charger is a different animal. I guess I could install it behind the gate in the sun and if there are reliability issues, move it to the front under the eaves afterwards. Once repaired!

Still a bugger to steal. You'd need the exact 5mm allen bit, and be able to locate each of the 4 black screws against a black unit, in the dark.

Even if you managed all that, you'd still only have half the unit. Put it this way, I haven't heard of one being pinched!

Reactions: Culfy
Doesn't that just make it hard to plug something in? I want to make it easier! To be honest, I originally planned to have the power point behind the gate (on a North facing wall unfortunately) but the sun would likely ruin the UMC (and the rain might get into the tail end) and also possibly the Wall Charger so I'm going to have to put the wall charger out the front under the eaves of the house. It's not ideal, especially since it's really only 4 screws to remove it. The Gen 3 is much simpler to remove than the Gen 2.
You would only use a lockable gpo if you intended to leave the unit out permanently, otherwise there is no point in having it lockable.

These days with RCDs that act in milliseconds, you’d just short the active to ground and the power is shut off near enough instantly. It’s not a barrier.

Having said that, many destination chargers are installed in the open, and I haven’t ever heard of one being stolen.

I wish this was an option but with no FSD subscription available in Oz it’s pay outright or nothing.
Oh really? Good old SA telling me porkies then. Anyhow, for FSD you still shouldn't buy it with the car since it'll be taxed. I'll definitely not get it if I can't try it for a month before I splurge. To be honest, it's not got a lot of things extra I'd use. Traffic light and stop sign control is about all I'd regularly use. the rest are gimmicks currently. However, as I've said before, everyone has a different list. YMMV.

The 2tb T7 is overkill for sentry cam. The 512GB T5 will be more than you will ever need and save you some money.
I have a 250GB M2 SSD lying around.. can I put it in a case and use it? How much data can it record? I understand it doesn't do a 24x7 Dashcam recording.. and only records sentry mode when activated? I am guessing people don't put external Dashcam for 24x7 recording.. I liked that in my current car..
I went for the Suntek Ultra ppf frontal, 10H ceramic coating and ceramic tint 35% on side windows and rear for $3200. I’m too old for the gangsta look, and 35% all round looked consistent.
Thanks
I think black wheels would look good too. I have the 19s in silver and think they look out of place on a model 3 with black trim.
Yeah thinking to get the wheel painted black and brakes red to match the red paint
I ended up getting mud flaps to stop stones getting chucked up against the sills, etc.
is it the official Tesla one or a 3rd party?
I did all my research and decided to go with a 3 pin 32A plug and tail and charge with the UMC.
Then, after all that I decided for the extra $700 I'd be better off with a wall charger so ordered the Gen 3 wall charger from Tesla.
Can I use the wall charger with other cars in future or is this a Tesla car only thing? Still haven't gotten my head around the different connector types and cars coming in Aus.. but my guess is that once I go electric all future cars will be electric (Tesla or not) and wondering if they are putting a standard so that would be able to use the Tesla charger in other cars

I have a 250GB M2 SSD lying around.. can I put it in a case and use it? How much data can it record? I understand it doesn't do a 24x7 Dashcam recording.. and only records sentry mode when activated? I am guessing people don't put external Dashcam for 24x7 recording.. I liked that in my current car..
Yes, just needs formatting to FAT32
Can I use the wall charger with other cars in future or is this a Tesla car only thing? Still haven't gotten my head around the different connector types and cars coming in Aus.. but my guess is that once I go electric all future cars will be electric (Tesla or not) and wondering if they are putting a standard so that would be able to use the Tesla charger in other cars
Yes, as I understand it it works with any car with a type 2 plug. I've seen people using Tesla destination chargers to charge their Nissan Leaf (check photos on plugshare app to see examples). According to this page you can set it to Tesla only or all cars: Gen 3 Wall Connector Access Control If that doesn't work (it jumps to an AU site that is 404) watch this video for some pretty handy info:
I'm almost certain there is a tiny bit in there where he shows you where the switch from Tesla only to all cars is.

Thanks.. I was contemplating just a 32A plug vs Tesla wall connector.. seems to me wall connector although more expensive might be better way to go long term and look nicer.. but basically comes down to money.. Don't seems like Tesla accessories come in any discount..

Do ppl put screen protectors or PPF on their main screen?

Anyone who does PPF - did you get matte / gloss?

Thinking on the red colour.. and thinking of getting the wheel painted black (gloss / matte ?) and brakes red.. to give it an overall red look with brakes with black handles, wheels.. the logo also get it done black

On iOS I am used to an app called Road Trip for my ICE vehicles which allows me to track fuel consumption and costs associated with it. Any similar app for Tesla / EV?

Thanks.. I was contemplating just a 32A plug vs Tesla wall connector.. seems to me wall connector although more expensive might be better way to go long term and look nicer.. but basically comes down to money.. Don't seems like Tesla accessories come in any discount..

Thinking on the red colour.. and thinking of getting the wheel painted black (gloss / matte ?) and brakes red.. to give it an overall red look with brakes with black handles, wheels.. the logo also get it done black

On iOS I am used to an app called Road Trip for my ICE vehicles which allows me to track fuel consumption and costs associated with it. Any similar app for Tesla / EV?
I bought the Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protector from Amazon for around $94. It's a matte finish, so no more finger prints.

It's not cheap but worth it, when you get the kit you can see that it comes with everything for an idiot proof installation. I'm hopeless with mobile phone screen protectors but with the Spigen kit it was easy to get a flawless install - no bubbles, everything aligned perfectly.

I did an app to track Tesla fuel consumption and costs but no-one seems to use it.

• Funny
Reactions: Hungry Mile
I bought the Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protector from Amazon for around $94. It's a matte finish, so no more finger prints.
I am debating that vs $50 PPF which the detailing guy said can do while doing the car.. Currently Spigen is on discount for $76

Yes, just needs formatting to FAT32
How much will 250GB store? Need to get a case for it.. or get a T7 on deals
I did an app to track Tesla fuel consumption and costs but no-one seems to use it.
which one?

Is there any accessory I might buy in Black Friday sale and recommended seller to save some money

I know shouldn’t before the car comes to see what is useful but trying to gauge what’s most common and recommended

Only thing comes to mind is
  • mud flaps (if official store one not recommended)
  • Spigen protector (or PPF later as per query above)
  • console organiser - so many of them and might just leave it or the official store ?