Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging and Other Queries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting delivery of Model 3 soon.. and had few queries after reading a lot of posts

Charging - Have a single phase house.. So is CLIPSAL EY56C332 | 3 Pin 32Amp Switched Socket Outlet IP66 | Easy56 - Clipsal by Schneider Electric + Tesla Gen 2 UMC Adapter | 32 Amp | 7 kW | 3-Pin plug the best combination?

Daily average is not going to be a lot but I think its best bang for the buck as I have a 10A socket in garage and just feels too low for charging. And the full dedicated kit seems overkill too..

Also being reading that people suggest to get a 5 pin 32Amp plug so that the tail can be more useful at other places - Can this be installed in a single phase house and is it worth it? We don't travel remote much.. maybe 1-2 times a year..

that is what's confusing us - we don't want to end up wasting money on multiple tails.

Does anyone know what it costs to get the socket installed by a sparky - rough ballpark figures? It will be close to switchboard and/or another 10A power outlet - whichever works out - so no need of long wire runs

Also is Cable Organizer meant to keep the UMC which comes with Model 3 neat and tidy in this setup (which I like) or is this for some other unit?

The additional cost for the 5 pin socket and plug would not be much and it would allow you to use the UMC and plug combination in many more remote locations. Your electrician can simply wire only L1 on your socket.
if the location of the socket is close to your Meter and or Sub Board and you have the capacity I would not expect to pay any more than about $500 for installation. If the cable run is long and or your board needs to be upgraded then that is where additional expense can come from and only an electrician can tell you that.

Reactions: David Sowden
Welcome to the forum!
Why not try your 10a socket to start with? It can then inform you on what your best choice is. If you are charging overnight for example, the 10a socket is going to give you 100km of range. You’ll be asleep so the speed it does it at doesnt matter. You’ll still spend way less of your time charging than you would refuelling.
With travelling unless you are going properly remote you’ll use one of the rapidly increasing charging stations, or you’ll charge at a holiday house overnight, on a 10a socket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Thanks everyone

Will have a think about charging.. got a quote for $750 for 32A but can think of just living with 10A.
  • Tesla cam - reading again looks like Samsung T7 2TB be a good one going into glove box? Or lower capacity?
Also is Cable Organizer meant to keep the UMC which comes with Model 3 neat and tidy in this setup (which I like) or is this for some other unit?
  • Is this accurate assumption? Good to keep it neat looks like and not too expensive
  • Will be also going for frontal PPF + ceramic coating rest + legal tinting.. what’s recommended for inside seats? Any brands recommended ? Suntek
  • Thinking of painting the wheel black.. would look awesome I reckon
  • Insurance quote is stinging me but still looking for a good one
  • Saw some organiser on Tesla and Amazon for the Center console.. it is a large gap
  • Premium connectivity is a given to subscribe to right ? Looks like it
  • FSD - probably in future when money saved
  • Is the Model 3 Owner Manual in PDF by any chance?
  • Seeing some USB hub for the car .. what do people use it for? Charging non wireless chargeable phones?
  • Any other accessory I might look into? Which I can order while car arrives

I have a 500GB SSD Samsung for Teslacam, last week I had to reformat it as it was full after a couple of years use.
Look at a full wrap and coating, places like the area in front of the rear wheels can cop it as much as the front. Might as well on a new car.
I use internet radio a lot and wouldn't go without premium connectivity. It will also come in handy if you want to use the upcoming (!) remote monitoring of Sentry mode.
Manual (HTML) should be in your glovebox on your account page.
I use a USB hub for a second SSD full of music.
Not sure about the internal lighting in the 3, in the X it is a bit dull. You can get brighter lights for the interior and trunk / frunk.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I have a 500GB SSD Samsung for Teslacam, last week I had to reformat it as it was full after a couple of years use.
Look at a full wrap and coating, places like the area in front of the rear wheels can cop it as much as the front. Might as well on a new car.
I use internet radio a lot and wouldn't go without premium connectivity. It will also come in handy if you want to use the upcoming (!) remote monitoring of Sentry mode.
Manual (HTML) should be in your glovebox on your account page.
I use a USB hub for a second SSD full of music.
Not sure about the internal lighting in the 3, in the X it is a bit dull. You can get brighter lights for the interior and trunk / frunk.
The latest tesla app mentions the sentry monitoring comes with 40.5 in selected countries. We may not be selected.

Will have a think about charging.. got a quote for $750 for 32A
Here was the price I paid for a 14m run. Much longer than yours! ie. Wiring up 3 phase socket to just L1. (single phase supply)

This was Newcastle, can give you or anyone his deets if in the region.

1637410236985.png

I was thinking 2TB / 1TB .. does it not overwrite? it fills up and you have to manually delete?

Cool.. Lets see the costs.. :)

wouldn't go without premium connectivity. It will also come in handy if you want to use the upcoming (!) remote monitoring of Sentry mode.

Yeah I might keep premium connectivity for the same reason

What colour is your car and interior?
Red with black
I would go with the upgraded outlet for charging, you might not need it now, but might need it in the future. It's always nice to have the ability to charge faster.
I am exactly the same thought.. its its cheap(ish) then why not.. and also if u get some deal on cheap electricity at say midnight to 4am then that will help u charge more at 50km/h rather than 10km/h to give u that boost to charge only within that time.. not that I have such a plan.. powershop gives that option but their general rate is quite expensive for me to switch..
This was Newcastle, can give you or anyone his deets if in the region.
That is pretty nice price I reckon.. not in the region but yeah I will keep fishing for better price in future.. I am also thinking getting the 5pin with wiring to only L1.. had previously read that some sparky might not do that.. I am guessing something like CLIPSAL EY56C532 EASY56 | 32Amp Switched Outlet 3PH 5 Pin Round IP66 + Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector Adaptor | 32 Amp | 7 kW | 5-Pin Tail
Where do you plan on having this done? I'm looking for a place near Melbourne to do the same when my Model 3 arrives in Jan/Feb.
I have been couple of times before to Affinesse , Clayton.. they are excellent (JJ, Pat and team) and was just checking if any other product recommended .. I believe they use Suntek .. I think I might be in same boat as yours :)

I’ve not seem that canle organiser before. A very nice solution.
Yeah just wanted to confirm if that Cable Organizer is for the UMC which comes in vehicle? so that I can mount it next to the 10A / 32A and keep it neat. When we travel we can take it out and chuck it in the boot.

Yeah just wanted to confirm if that Cable Organizer is for the UMC which comes in vehicle? so that I can mount it next to the 10A / 32A and keep it neat. When we travel we can take it out and chuck it in the boot.
Actually looking at
looks like there will be a huge bump due to the angle and thus the UMC might not be able to sit flush on the wall to sit on the bracket.. its probably more for simple 10A/15A plugs ? What do you guys reckon ?

Actually looking at
looks like there will be a huge bump due to the angle and thus the UMC might not be able to sit flush on the wall to sit on the bracket.. its probably more for simple 10A/15A plugs ? What do you guys reckon ?
If you cant bend the cable sufficiently you can always cut a piece of timber and mount the holding bracket further out (or 3d print someting if so equipped)

yeah have read this and got all the ideas

If you cant bend the cable sufficiently you can always cut a piece of timber and mount the holding bracket further out (or 3d print someting if so equipped)
yep thanks.. good idea

Would it be legal AND possible to join the 3 phases wires together and go into the L1 point, so 18mm2 effective cable?
This is what is confusing me.. one of electrician did say can have warranty issue.. wiring a 5 pin as a 3 pin

Would it be legal AND possible to join the 3 phases wires together and go into the L1 point, so 18mm2 effective cable?
Cable cross-sectional area doesn't work like that with the high resistance point being the termination, meaning the termination must be correctly sized for the cable cross-sectional area otherwise it will overheat under load. Is it legal? Well...if they don't catch you I guess. I've seen dodgier things done in my career though, but I would personally NOT.