Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging cost? - Significant increase in Electric bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your Tesla's have no brakes either? The more you can use regen (like on a mountain top) the faster the battery will warm up from (low regen). So it's not as if you'd have no regen the whole way. If it's not long enough to warm it up, it wasn't much lost regen in the first place.

People think so binary here. They assume it's 0 Regen for an infinite amount of time. When 90% of the time it's low regen for some amount of time. And that time gets shorter and shorter the more regen is active.

Start at the top of a mountain road with a cold-soaked battery. Turn-on range mode (which turns-off the battery heater) and coast down the mountain. The regen will never start because you didn't have any in the first place and you're not using power from the motors/battery to enable any warming. You'll get to the bottom of the mountain still with no regen and will have wasted a lot of energy in the form of heat via the brakes. A lot of heat. I can't imagine the amount of energy required to warm the battery is more than the amount lost to the brakes.

When the battery is cold and you're stopped with the car in drive (HVAC off), the power meter will show about 5kW of power being used. That is, presumably, to warm the battery. Once about half of regen becomes available, the power meter will drop. What else would use 5kW just sitting still with HVAC off?

Is this on a model S or X? Model 3 has no dedicated battery heater. Apparently it can run extra power through the motor to generate heat, haven't played with the power meter to check.

Teslafi allows you to monitor your electricity consumption quite accurately. It tracks the kWh usage and efficiency of charge and displays the total monthly cost. You can go into their settings and adjust your electricity rate after you receive your bill to take into account all of the discounts/charges/fees on top of the electricity rate.

My house is not on time-of-use billing (yet) so I pay a flat rate per kWh of 7.7 cents up to 1000kWh and 8.9 cents after 1000kWh.

I spend about $60-70 a month on electricity for my Model 3, so a pretty good discount from about $300-$400 a month on gas i was spending before.