Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're in the car and in park, the car is counting the amount of energy used. You can see this by resetting a trip meter and blasting the HVAC for a bit before driving off.

But it does not account for energy used when the car is sitting "off" and locked. This uses up about 1% of your battery a day and accounts for your reduction in apparent charging efficiency.

Tesla is the worst EV manufacturer that I'm aware of here. All other EVs that I'm aware of use a negligible amount of energy when off and you can let the car sit for months without seeing more than a few % of the charge lost.

Tesla is also the most connected car as well.

A Volt has little systems it keeps on and almost no data to transmit.

You need to measure the total energy supplied versus the amount that gets to the battery.

Generally the internal car charger loss does not increase as fast as the amount of power going in so the higher the power the more efficient the charging.

Some examples based on numbers I have seen:

110v @12 Amps = 1.3Kw - from your outlet.
Subtract the 400 watts loss and only 900 watts is going to the battery.
About 70% efficient. 900/1300=70%

240V @ 40 Amps = 9.6Kw - from your outlet.
Likely about 900 watts loss for 7-8x the energy
About 90% efficient. 8700/9600 = 90%

One reason to get a 240 volt setup. You will use less electricity.

Bottom line:

The higher the power the more efficient the charging.

Where are you getting the subtraction losses from?

I thought the point of this thread was charging efficiency, not phantom drain or gaps between predicted and actual range, etc.

Can anybody provide more real-world details on what to expect in charging losses? Specifically, what percentage of power from the utility is lost during charging, and how much difference is there in this loss with various charging sources?

(Maybe I missed these details in all of the off-topic content in the thread.)

FWIW, TeslaFi is reporting a charging efficiency of 92.7% on my Model 3 when connected to the Clipper Creek HCS-40 I have at home, and about 90% on public charging ChargePoint stations. I suspect the difference is because my Clipper Creek unit is supplying 239V x 32A (so7.648kW), whereas the public stations I've used supply ~210V x 30A (so 6.3kW). I've only had my car for a week, though, and TeslaFi has only been active for a couple of days, so that's a very limited data set.

Anyone done any testing to measure the M3's internal charging efficiency? Here's a MS thread that shows pretty interesting data, but I'd like to know the most efficient setting for the M3....

I'm using a Tesla Wall charger. I charge my 2019 Model 3 Dual Motor LR at 240V and 48A in my heated garage (52 degrees). That's a charging rate of 11.52kW per hour. I charged for 261 minutes, which is 50.112 kWh of energy consumed. My starting capacity was 26% and I charged up to 90%. Assuming my battery capacity is 74KWh, I added 47.360kWh to my battery. That's a charging efficiency of 94.5%. Make sense ? Am I missing something ?

My starting capacity was 26% and I charged up to 90%.

We can't tell because we don't know your battery capacity. You'd have to provide the number of added rated miles.

Assuming my battery capacity is 74KWh, I added 47.360kWh to my battery.

If that were your full battery capacity, that would be correct. But a 74kWh battery would have:

74kWh/245Wh/rmi = 302 rated miles at 100%. (And you added 193 rated miles.) What does yours show?

When you are charging in %, it should show you how many kWh were added to the battery, on the charging screen (with no decimal point), as long as the car is still plugged in. So in your case, it might have said 47kWh. Depends on your battery capacity.

But yes, your number is close to what is correct. Just keep in mind that on the trip meter, if you immediately went for a long drive, and went all the way down to 26%, using up that energy you just added, the trip meter would show about 230/245*47.4kWh = 44.5kWh used.

So referenced to trip meter numbers (which does not count energy used when in park, but that's a separate issue), your charging efficiency is 44.5/50.1 = 89%.

Here's some data. A difference needs to be made between charger efficiency and charging efficiency (just look at the last data point).
2020-01-07.png

Charging done at 240V/20A
Phil

Isn’t this just because you had heat or something running during the charging event, though?

Nope. Both motors wasting heat prior to charging. Got home, plugged in, and let it do it's thing.
Here's the previous charge (I used scheduled charging for a test). Outside temp plummeted to -18°C on the night of December 18th.

Start Date
2019/12/19 00:30:01
Duration
05:58:38
Charger Energy (kWh)
Charger Loss (kWh)
Start SOC (%)
End SOC (%)
38% charging loss (that one includes cabin heating, around 3kWh, bringing loss at ~28% )

So when it's that cold, I charge after my drive home.

Phil

Last edited:
Nope. Both motors wasting heat prior to charging. Got home, plugged in, and let it do it's thing.
Here's the previous charge (I used scheduled charging for a test). Outside temp plummeted to -18°C on the night of December 18th.

Start Date
2019/12/19 00:30:01
Duration
05:58:38
Charger Energy (kWh)
Charger Loss (kWh)
Start SOC (%)
End SOC (%)
38% charging loss (that one includes cabin heating, around 3kWh, bringing loss at ~28% )

So when it's that cold, I charge after my drive home.

Phil

Sure. Definitely a good use of battery waste heat to charge when the battery is warm.

I just thought I'd share our findings on charging efficiency.
We have a model 3 that charges in our garage using the included mobile connector on a standard european 230V outlet.
That charges the car at about 18 km/h. We charge at home probably 98% of the time.
We never supercharged and only charged away from home on no more than 5 occasions.

We have a power consumption meter on the outlet we use, so we have a good idea on the actual consumption on that outlet.
We have 14,635 km on the car now, and that consumed 3529 kWh on the power consumption meter.
That's 241 Wh/km.
The car's trip computer shows an average consumption of 209 Wh/km over the complete lifetime (14,635 km).

So that would mean we have a charging efficiency of 86.72% (209/241).
It's probably even worse because we did charge away from home a couple of times. If we charged away from home for about 600km the charging efficiency is closer to 83.5%.

Part of the consumption losses can probably also be attributed to phantom drain when the car is parked but still consuming energy being connected to wifi or 4g. No idea how much that is though.

In any case, actual consumption of the car is probably closer to 250 Wh/km considering all of this, which is considerably more than the 209 Wh/km the car shows as lifetime average.

Well, since we're kicking an old thread here...

I have had a model 3 for 8 months and have done about 8k miles. I have recorded every charge and reading available to me.

Including what is in my battery at the moment I have done 7986 miles and 2161 kWh have been added (based on what the charging station reports has been used --- mostly Chargepoint or Supercharger). Each time I charge I record how many miles the car reckons it has added, and this has been 8876 miles in total. This means I have lost around 8% (92% efficiency). Not sure if this is just Phantom drain or charge efficiency or something else. Anyways, it has cost me $88 in total cos I have got mostly free charging from work and various places.

Total cost is 1c per mile. Not bad. Saved me about $1200 in 8 months.

Not sure if this is useful information to anyone.

Bringing this thread back.

I have a JuiceNet pro 40amp EVSE. I got my M3 AWD Dec 29th (just in time for the full tax credit). I was curious as to my usage as reported by the car compared to my charging as reported by the JuiceNet. I am disappointed by the result.
I reset a trip meter when I got the car so I would have lifetime stats. The car is showing 345KWh used so far. I took a look at the JuiceNet logs and they show I have sent 425.19KWh to the Model 3. I have only done one smallish SuperCharger session so far, so the actual is even a little worse. This represents a 81% charge efficiency (not including the loss sent to the JuiceNet that is lost before being sent to the car). Is this low efficiency the car's issue or the JuiceNet? All of the research I have seen points to a much higher Level 2 charging efficiency - IEEE states that the mean L2 charging efficiency is 89.4%. I am in Southern California and charge in the garage, so temperature is not a factor.
The only other factor that might contribute is that the the median charge amount is 7.52KWh - IEEE again states that "In those charges in which the battery took up less than 4 kWh, this difference in efficiency was even greater: 87.2% for Level 2..." So I would think this would increase, not decrease the overall efficiency.
I took a look at the Edmund's article @jsmay311 refereed to, with a little higher efficiency then I am getting, the the graphics did not load, so I can not see the relevant data.
Bottom line - all the research materials point to a MUCH higher charge efficiency then I see or Edmund's apparently saw.
Any ideas?

IEEE abstract for reference (if you are interested) - A comparison of electric vehicle Level 1 and Level 2 charging efficiency - IEEE Conference Publication

____
Adding this thought - I seem to recall somewhere reading that the usage the car reports is for driving only, not 'idling'. As I do a fair amount of sitting in the car waiting for the kids at practice, I wonder if this has an impact. And if you are wondering, I do occasionally (when the car actually wakes up) pre-condition when the car is plugged in. But this is for 5 minutes max, so I can't image that is skewing things much.

I know both of you may not be on the forum anymore, but what both of you are seeing is probably not mostly explained by charging efficiency. It's more probably the "1% loss per day" that Tesla claims. According to the Stats app for iOS, this is actually about 1.33kWh/day (median from their fleet), which is roughly 1.8% on an LR pack and 2.6% on the SR+ pack. It's almost equivalent to a 60W incandescent bulb constantly burning, powered by your car. This is nearly 500kWh/year, or the equivalent of putting on about 2000 miles.

For @Dbregmam specifically, you have a 80kWh discrepancy over just two months so far. Extrapolated to a year that would be 480kWh, which is indeed nearly 500kWh/year that would be the median standby usage for Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I just thought I'd share our findings on charging efficiency.
We have a model 3 that charges in our garage using the included mobile connector on a standard european 230V outlet.
That charges the car at about 18 km/h. We charge at home probably 98% of the time.
We never supercharged and only charged away from home on no more than 5 occasions.

We have a power consumption meter on the outlet we use, so we have a good idea on the actual consumption on that outlet.
We have 14,635 km on the car now, and that consumed 3529 kWh on the power consumption meter.
That's 241 Wh/km.
The car's trip computer shows an average consumption of 209 Wh/km over the complete lifetime (14,635 km).

So that would mean we have a charging efficiency of 86.72% (209/241).
It's probably even worse because we did charge away from home a couple of times. If we charged away from home for about 600km the charging efficiency is closer to 83.5%.

Part of the consumption losses can probably also be attributed to phantom drain when the car is parked but still consuming energy being connected to wifi or 4g. No idea how much that is though.

In any case, actual consumption of the car is probably closer to 250 Wh/km considering all of this, which is considerably more than the 209 Wh/km the car shows as lifetime average.

The actual charging efficiency (in the US) using 7.7kW charging (not explicitly specified but likely use the charging equipment included with the car) is published by Tesla and available through the EPA iaspub website.

The charging efficiency at 240V/32A is about 88.5% on all the Model 3 variants (slightly higher efficiency for the SR due to lack of taper - so the true number might be closer to 89% if you're not charging to 100%). Obviously can be verified directly as well, if you're careful to pick an interval without vampire drain.

Your numbers are low because of vampire drain, and a low charging rate.

• Informative
I have a kWh meter in between my charger and wall outlet and have been taking data for a couple years. It's variable. I think there's a lot of stuff going on in the car that uses power that isn't logged visibly to typical consumers. there's significant rounding error as a kWh is pretty large quantity of energy but the charging efficiency as the difference between what I measure and what the car logs as AC Charge (per Scan My Tesla) varies from as high as .94 to as low as .71. The issue really is that we shouldn't have to guess this number, or have back door methods to measure, it should be part of the car, a true and accurate input kWh meter, reported the same as miles are. Tesla won't do this without being required because their numbers wouldn't look nearly as good.

The actual charging efficiency (in the US) using 7.7kW charging (not explicitly specified but likely use the charging equipment included with the car) is published by Tesla and available through the EPA iaspub website.

The charging efficiency at 240V/32A is about 88.5% on all the Model 3 variants (slightly higher efficiency for the SR due to lack of taper - so the true number might be closer to 89% if you're not charging to 100%). Obviously can be verified directly as well, if you're careful to pick an interval without vampire drain.

Your numbers are low because of vampire drain, and a low charging rate.
The odometer reading in your Tesla reports 'Drive kWh' none of the other stuff is counted like radio, lights, heater, AC etc.

• Disagree