Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging Hubbell HBL2810 Receptacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have an electric vehicle charging outlet in my apartment building parking stall but I’m trying to figure out which specific plug or set of adapters I will need in order to charge my 2019 Tesla Model 3.

The building manager informed me that the outlet is a Hubbell HBL2810 (Hubbell Locking Devices, Twist-Lock®, Industrial, Flush Receptacle, 30A 3-Phase Wye 120/208V AC, 4-Pole 5-Wire Grounding, L21-30R, Screw Terminal, Black). Here is a link (https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice-kellems/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Locking-Devices/Insulgrip-Twist-Lock/HBL2810/p/1638272). I've also attached an image of the receptacle i'm trying to use if that is helpful.

Can you please let me know which Tesla adapter I would need to purchase in order to utilize this outlet? Or if you have third-party vendors you’d recommend to buy or build an adapter and plug from? I would like to be able to have this adapter shipped to Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit novice at electrical connections so I'm trying to be very cautious.

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 266
Hi,

I have an electric vehicle charging outlet in my apartment building parking stall but I’m trying to figure out which specific plug or set of adapters I will need in order to charge my 2019 Tesla Model 3.

The building manager informed me that the outlet is a Hubbell HBL2810 (Hubbell Locking Devices, Twist-Lock®, Industrial, Flush Receptacle, 30A 3-Phase Wye 120/208V AC, 4-Pole 5-Wire Grounding, L21-30R, Screw Terminal, Black). Here is a link (https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice-kellems/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Locking-Devices/Insulgrip-Twist-Lock/HBL2810/p/1638272). I've also attached an image of the receptacle i'm trying to use if that is helpful.

Can you please let me know which Tesla adapter I would need to purchase in order to utilize this outlet? Or if you have third-party vendors you’d recommend to buy or build an adapter and plug from? I would like to be able to have this adapter shipped to Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit novice at electrical connections so I'm trying to be very cautious.

you’ll need two adapters. One to adapt the L21-30 receptacle to an L6-30, and then an L6-30 plug for the Tesla Mobile Connector.

And then this one:

But that’s it. Should be very simply plug & play for you!

Just for yuks, you might want to contact www.evseadapters.com to see if they'll make one direct from L21-30 to UMC, either just for you or as a new product.

Also note that your charging will be slower on this plug since its only going to deliver 208V typically instead of 240V. Probably not a big deal for you, but thought it worth mentioning.

you’ll need two adapters. One to adapt the L21-30 receptacle to an L6-30, and then an L6-30 plug for the Tesla Mobile Connector.

And then this one:

But that’s it. Should be very simply plug & play for you!
Thank you very much for the help! I'm definitely going to look into purchasing these 2 adapters as well as the other poster's suggestion of asking whether a custom adapter could be ordered from www.evseadapters.com.

Just for yuks, you might want to contact www.evseadapters.com to see if they'll make one direct from L21-30 to UMC, either just for you or as a new product.

Also note that your charging will be slower on this plug since its only going to deliver 208V typically instead of 240V. Probably not a big deal for you, but thought it worth mentioning.
I'll send an email to www.evseadapters.com to ask for sure. I was also looking at www.ironbox.com to see if they had an adapter like that, but I don't believe they would custom make an L21-30 to UMC. Also thanks for the heads up about the charging speed, it is definitely enough for me!

Thanks again for the help everyone, I appreciate it!

Thank you very much for the help! I'm definitely going to look into purchasing these 2 adapters as well as the other poster's suggestion of asking whether a custom adapter could be ordered from www.evseadapters.com.

Glad we could help! Keep us posted what the final configuration looks like, but you should have no problem getting a decent charge off that receptacle. You should see somewhere around 22-24mi/hr when charging Model 3… for most of us, that’s more than plenty.

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up in this thread to mention that I had sent an email asking about my specific adapter needs to evseadapters as suggested in this thread and they gave me this link where I ordered the adapter I needed L21-30 Twist-Lock Adapter for Tesla Model S/3/X/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters. I ordered and have used it a few times and it works just as I need!

As someone warned me earlier I just get about 200V with my setup which is more than enough for me. Thanks again for all of your help in this thread I really appreciated it!

So I guess the original description provided by management of it being a 3 phase outlet was not accurate -
Huh? What makes you say that? I don't see anything indicating it's not.
Tesla cars in North America do not have chargers built into them that can use all three phases, but it is very possible to find two connection points in a 3 phase outlet that give some kind of single voltage difference that the car can use to charge. I think that's what the EVSEAdapter piece was doing that was mentioned earlier. It has a plug made to fit that outlet, but is probably only using two connection points for the voltage.

Huh? What makes you say that? I don't see anything indicating it's not.
Tesla cars in North America do not have chargers built into them that can use all three phases, but it is very possible to find two connection points in a 3 phase outlet that give some kind of single voltage difference that the car can use to charge. I think that's what the EVSEAdapter piece was doing that was mentioned earlier. It has a plug made to fit that outlet, but is probably only using two connection points for the voltage.
Fair point