Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also in Mt Isa Aug-Nov so that will be entertaining with that small three phase charger.
Mount Isa Rodeo is the 2nd weekend(8/08/19 to 11/08/19) of August, so "Buchanan Park Events Complex" won't be available that weekend, but "Leichhardt Accommodation" will be available, but you may be best if you book it for that weekend as accommodation is normally sold out on Rodeo week.

You will need to get the "3 phase adapter" for the Model 3 UMC from Tesla.

Three phase charger is plenty fast enough.

unfortunately not as without DC fast charging it is not possible to do the 1300km journey in one day. Remember that even though in the outback you can drive much faster you cannot really drive at night/darkness.

Mount Isa Rodeo is the 2nd weekend(8/08/19 to 11/08/19) of August, so "Buchanan Park Events Complex" won't be available that weekend, but "Leichhardt Accommodation" will be available, but you may be best if you book it for that weekend as accommodation is normally sold out on Rodeo week.

You will need to get the "3 phase adapter" for the Model 3 UMC from Tesla.

I can charge at home at Mt Isa, not an issue.

Also you'll need to get some tails to go from the euro 3phase adapter to Australian 32A phase plug.
Mobile charging for Australia

Tesla Charging Options for Australia

Uhm is Australian 3 phase not the same plug as the European 3 phase plug? :O

I don't know that there is such a thing; there is one for the S/X but the UMC for the three is different.

The Aussie UMC is different to the US UMC right? We use the same UMC as Europe? Do European Model 3s have a different UMC to S/X?

Pretty sure I saw a video of Bjorn charging a model 3 with the S/X UMC. He was having some issues with 3 phase though I think. Wouldn't do the full 16A.

You can wire up the tails yourself (or get a sparky to do it if not confident, but it's very simple) There are posts on this site that tell you what you need - there is a little light bedtime reading here: Mobile charging for Australia, and this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1168640 is a picture of what you end up with. Basically it is the red CEE adapter for the UMC, which is the part that's apparently proving hard to get, this plugs into a 15A CEE socket which is then wired to either a 20A or 32A Aussie 3-phase plug. (Don't worry about the mismatched amperages, as the CEE tail ensures the UMC never draws more than 15 or 16A) I got the bits from Uniquip in WA, and the 4+earth cable from a local joint.

unfortunately not as without DC fast charging it is not possible to do the 1300km journey in one day. Remember that even though in the outback you can drive much faster you cannot really drive at night/darkness.
God, I didn't realised you were talking about driving to Mt Isa. I thought you meant living there for a few months.
I doubt there will be DC fast charging on the way to Mt Isa anytime soon.

Can you make the actual UMC adapter though? The bit instead of the 10A tail?

Tricky, you would have to get the presumably proprietary plug that goes into the UMC end. Otherwise it's straightforward, the only electronics is a resistor to set the charge current. Then you could make a one-piece solution. I wouldn't mind making a 15A wall plug tail if I could get that plug, but I don't want to hack up an existing one and have bodgy cable restraints and general untidiness.

Tricky, you would have to get the presumably proprietary plug that goes into the UMC end. Otherwise it's straightforward, the only electronics is a resistor to set the charge current. Then you could make a one-piece solution. I wouldn't mind making a 15A wall plug tail if I could get that plug, but I don't want to hack up an existing one and have bodgy cable restraints and general untidiness.
It probably easier use a HPWC with some 4-core +earth cable and 32Amp 3 phase plug, but it be bulky to carry compared to an S or X. Or get an after market solution like a Juice Booster 2, etc.

Will the Australian Model 3 come with the UMC +10A tail and HPWC like the Model S/X?

The European/UK M3 comes with the UMC with 10A tail and a 16A single phase adapter(blue) and also a Type2 to Type2 cable but no HPWC(extra cost).

Last edited: