Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading about charging for the last 2 days and getting more and more confused.
Have a M3P on the way, live in VIC. like driving long distances sometimes off the beaten track..

The UMC will let me charge slowly from a standard powerpoint if need be.
Can/Should I get a type 2 adapter for it that will work on type 2 chargers like chargefox?

Or do I need something like this instead? Bit annoying to have to carry multiple cables
Online Shop 32A Three phase EV Cable Type 2 to Type 2 IEC 62196-2 EV Charging Plug With 5 Meter cable TUV/UL Mennekes 2 Connector | Aliexpress Mobile

The juicebooster seems a bit like overkill. I'd hope between the 10 amp and type 2 I'd be pretty well covered ..
Thanks

So my 3 pin caravan plug adaptor arrived today.

Just need the Model 3 attachment to see how it goes. View attachment 450260

May I ask what/where you plan to use this?

Apologies if I am just ignorant, but I thought this was a European standard so you wouldn't be able to find the compatible 3-pin caravan socket in Australia. Also, doesn't the model 3 come bundled with a 15A variant of the standard Aussie 3-pin adapter what would be more useful than this (with only 1A being the difference)?

The reason why I ask is because I am thinking about getting the electrician to come and install a 15A outlet. If the caravan plug turns out to be more versatile, then it may be worth considering this as an alternative. Is the compatible switched socket outlet fairly common in Australia, or should I expect abit of a shafting on the part cost?

May I ask what/where you plan to use this?

Apologies if I am just ignorant, but I thought this was a European standard so you wouldn't be able to find the compatible 3-pin caravan socket in Australia. Also, doesn't the model 3 come bundled with a 15A variant of the standard Aussie 3-pin adapter what would be more useful than this (with only 1A being the difference)?

The reason why I ask is because I am thinking about getting the electrician to come and install a 15A outlet. If the caravan plug turns out to be more versatile, then it may be worth considering this as an alternative. Is the compatible switched socket outlet fairly common in Australia, or should I expect abit of a shafting on the part cost?

I bought an Audi A3 etron 4 years ago and I had them install a charging box at my house. It is really just a glorified plastic mount for the mobile charging puck that came with the car. The charger for the car came with two tails. One was a standard ANZ. 10A 3 Pin household plug, and the other was the 16A 3 pin blue “caravan” plug. Audi installed a 16A 3 pin outlet on my car port wall and the box fits around it. My present set up only draws 15A from the socket. The most the Audi will charge at is 3.6kW.

The Model 3 delivery process means I will not have access to any of the Tesla charging devices until I am actually in possession of the car. Charging from the 10 A power point in my meter box doesn’t appeal to me, so after hearing about the 3 pin caravan plug coming standard in NZ and the help of theses forums I bouught this tail to use on my Generation 2 UMC while I wait for the electrician turn up to install my HPWC.

You are right to say if you had a standard ANZ. 3 pin 15A socket you would be just as well served. There are other cases where such a tail would serve as an intermediate for various 3 phase outlets or in some tourist destinations with 3 pin caravan sockets (check PlugShare), but they are usually fairly regional and remote places.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger
I've been reading about charging for the last 2 days and getting more and more confused.
Have a M3P on the way, live in VIC. like driving long distances sometimes off the beaten track..

The UMC will let me charge slowly from a standard powerpoint if need be.
Can/Should I get a type 2 adapter for it that will work on type 2 chargers like chargefox?

Or do I need something like this instead? Bit annoying to have to carry multiple cables
Online Shop 32A Three phase EV Cable Type 2 to Type 2 IEC 62196-2 EV Charging Plug With 5 Meter cable TUV/UL Mennekes 2 Connector | Aliexpress Mobile

The juicebooster seems a bit like overkill. I'd hope between the 10 amp and type 2 I'd be pretty well covered ..
Thanks
JetCharge located in Melbourne sell a package of Type2 to Type2 for ChargeFox AC chargers and J1772 to Type2 for ChargePoint chargers. These two cables will be enough for your AC charging in and around Melbourne. For more remote work you may need something like a Juicebooster or Type 1 MCU and adapters if you can find one.

Reactions: ChrisJA
JetCharge located in Melbourne sell a package of Type2 to Type2 for ChargeFox AC chargers and J1772 to Type2 for ChargePoint chargers. These two cables will be enough for your AC charging in and around Melbourne. For more remote work you may need something like a Juicebooster or Type 1 MCU and adapters if you can find one.
Juicebooster is overkill for the M3 as it's limited to 16 AMP.
The type 1 UMC is avaliable from Aliexpress (URL in some of my recent posts).

Reactions: ChrisJA
Juicebooster is overkill for the M3 as it's limited to 16 AMP.
The type 1 UMC is avaliable from Aliexpress (URL in some of my recent posts).

I got a new type 1 UMC including the 5 Pin Euro adaptor. It all came in the Telsa Bag a few days after I ordered it. Total cost $923 delivered.

A bit of saving over the Juice booster. I'll make a couple of adapter cables to suit for Farm/ outback charging. It surprised me how compact it all is.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Hi, I was chatting about this on another forum, but it is more suited to this.
I am in the process of organising for my electrician to come and install the HPWC when I pick up the model 3 in a couple of weeks.
I have 3 phase power and want to future proof the install as I intend on buying a Model Y in a few years when they arrive.
So by having 2 HPWC's I read on the manual that you can connect them together with communication cable to "talk" to each other and share the load.
I understand for one HPWC, a 20amp breaker is enough to get the full 11kw charge. So what exactly happens with the 2nd HPWC when they communicate with each other? Is the 2nd HPWC wired to the same breaker as the first or would it have it's own 20amp breaker? If it uses the same breaker, then should I be getting a 40amp breaker and use the thicker cabling to the first "master" HPWC?

What advantage does having them talk to each other do exactly? Is it so that they will only ever use a maximum of a set kW power pull rather then if you didn't have them talk to each other they would essentially both pull 11kW and therefore you could be pulling 22kW off the grid at any one time.
Sorry for the million questions. I am a little confused and my electrician has no knowledge of anything Tesla or EV for that matter.
Thanks

I am in the process of organising for my electrician to come and install the HPWC when I pick up the model 3 in a couple of weeks.
I have 3 phase power and want to future proof the install as I intend on buying a Model Y in a few years when they arrive.
So by having 2 HPWC's I read on the manual that you can connect them together with communication cable to "talk" to each other and share the load.
I understand for one HPWC, a 20amp breaker is enough to get the full 11kw charge. So what exactly happens with the 2nd HPWC when they communicate with each other? Is the 2nd HPWC wired to the same breaker as the first or would it have it's own 20amp breaker? If it uses the same breaker, then should I be getting a 40amp breaker and use the thicker cabling to the first "master" HPWC?

What advantage does having them talk to each other do exactly? Is it so that they will only ever use a maximum of a set kW power pull rather then if you didn't have them talk to each other they would essentially both pull 11kW and therefore you could be pulling 22kW off the grid at any one time.
Sorry for the million questions. I am a little confused and my electrician has no knowledge of anything Tesla or EV for that matter.
Thanks
I understand that it allows you to connect multiple Charge Connectors to the one circuit and run them all individually at the maximum load for that circuit; in your case 11Kw (16A 3 Phase). When the master detects multiple charge sessions it will limit the combined load of the chargers to the maximum the circuit allows. (e.g. 2 X 8A 3 phase)

Hi,

There seems to be a myriad of choices for a "Type B" RCD suitable for a home charger on single phase. Is there anything I should consider other than these points:

* It has Type B, DC and AC protection in accordance with AS3000:2018
* It has 1 pole plus a neutral pole
* It has trip sensitivity 30mA in accordance with AS3000:2018
* Compact to fit into existing distribution board
* 32A which is the maximum I can do for single phase charging (7 kW)

I found a product matching those needs at rs-online:
"1+N 32 A RCBO, DIN Rail, Trip Sensitivity 30mA System Pro M Compact DS201"
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/rcbos/7674493/

Is there anything I'm missing?

My charger is separate from our house, so I need to run a trench. Would I need to also lay down CBUS/CAT5 in a separate conduit if I want to ensure I can get a second charger at a later point in time?

The breaker needs to be greater than 32Amp for the 7kW continuous load. Suggest 40A minimum.

Thanks

1. One of the HPWC is is set as Master and all the others are slave (using the selector inside)
2. Both need to be supplied individually and each need to have their own RCD.
3. When you have them both connected they "talk" to each other and they will each draw current that when added together it won't be more than the maximum of your circuit. It won't necessarily be 50-50 depending on what each car is pulling at that particular time.
4. The "communication connection" is done through a twisted cable pair (+ve and -ve) from Master to slave. It does not use CAT5

5. I am not an electrician and all the information in points 1, 2, 3 and 4 are explained really clearly in the Manual for the HPWC which you can find here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...installation-manual-en-AU-v2.pdf?201612081439

There are also videos that take you through the installation here: Installation - TESLA Wall Connector

And also another video showing how you connect them for load sharing here: Load Sharing - TESLA Wall Connector

I suggest you show your electrician the manual for this. Yes...they may not have done Tesla before but it's not more complicated than wiring in an oven. So....if they're still unsure maybe get someone who knows what they're doing a bit more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: meloccom
Charged my Model 3 tonight at a public charger for the first time, The Glen shopping centre in Glen Waverley VIC. Used my J1772 to Type 2 adaptor from evchargers and was painless. I used Chargepoint card. 30A single phase, so was charging atr 41km/h. Some people had said they thought the adaptor might let it dangle and scratch the paint, but it seemed to hang well clear.

glen.jpg