TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Charging in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ShockOnT, May 1, 2019.

1. Nickdp

Nickdp Member

The image on the Legend view of Plugshare for Tesla Destination Chargers shows the US style of connector, and should be ignored.
    Tesla destination chargers are actually Tesla's own High Powered Wall Connector (HPWC) now more commonly known as Wall Connectors, they are fitted with a tethered cable that has a Type 2 female plug on the end and it will plug into Model 3 with no issue.
    At most locations these charging locations can supply up to 32A 3 phase (22kW), however the maximum current the vehicle will take is 16A 3 phase, so your Model 3 will get 11kW (~50+ km/hr).

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. meowsers

meowsers Member

11kw on the Model 3 is actually 75km/hr as it is more efficient than the S.

• Like x 2
  3. bigbones

bigbones Member

Oh neat, thanks. I guess plugshare is US-centric. How do the model S/X cope if they are all Type2? Are they fitted with two cables like the superchargers?

4. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Model S/X have Type 2 connectors, same as Model 3. But Model 3 uses the bottom extra two pins for DC charging, whereas the Model S/X use the Type 2 connector for DC charging with some internal switching going on, no other car manufacturers do this, so hence moving to the CCS2 standard for Model 3. I expect future Model S/X will have CCS2 port as well, as it's basically now the universal EV standard charging connector.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Nickdp

Nickdp Member

haha you didn't see what i did - i inserted the plus sign after the 50...

6. Mark E

Mark E Member

Is that with 'rated' or 'typical' set as the display - makes a huge difference.

7. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

I don't think Model 3 gives that option.

8. dmaunder

dmaunder Member

Been out a bit today and done 14kms, so now down to 86%, but Teslafi now showing Rated Range 430kms Estimated Range 398kms

9. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

Does anyone know if you can set charging times on the Model 3?

10. dmaunder

dmaunder Member

You can set a scheduled start time from the car, and a charging rate.

• Helpful x 1
  11. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

Thanks. Might look into the Powershop offer then. Electric vehicles - Powershop

12. bay74

bay74 Member

Rates in my area are almost the same as my current time-of-use plan (a cent more here and there), except for the midnight to 4am cheap rate. Looks interesting enough, but it's hard to understand these offers: e.g. will the quoted rates enjoy a 23.2% discount if purchased using a Mega Pack? Would assume so, so I might look into switching to this...
    Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like x 1
  13. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

No worries. A lot of the rates are set according to the distributors and the state government. After that the gen-traders discount depending on their costs and competition. You are right there is not much difference as a result.

The 0000-0400 rate looks pretty attractive especially combined with the off peak and shoulder rates. I’m wondering how it would end up for me with my solar and battery system in the summer, I could get killed in the winter, but the easiest way to find out is to try. There is no lock in period so not much to lose if it is no good,

You could ping their twitter account with your question. Their team is very responsive.

14. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

Plugged this adaptor into the UMC when I got home and it fit perfectly. It is charging now at a full 16A - the rated limit. Not getting hot.

The UMC is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, which is a nice surprise.

• Like x 1
  15. dasn

dasn Member

Mind linking the site/page you bought this from?

16. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

17. tessiestraya

tessiestraya Member

#217 tessiestraya, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    That powershop offer for offpeak is MORE expensive than my current offpeak. And much cheaper peak rate.
    Yeah its fossil fuels but.. cheap electrons!

I am considering upgrading my solar and getting a powerwall though. So maybe cheap solar energy soon?
    Yeah, its not going to pay itself off for awhile but I get to give the middle finger to my power company most of the time and thats priceless.

18. Nickdp

Nickdp Member

• Informative x 1
  19. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

Anyone bought a juice booster? Seems expensive but covers every option in one purchase?

20. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

When I looked and compared it to what already came with my M3 and the other cable options out there it was still cheaper to buy an adaptor and set of cables for type 2 to J1772, caravan/commando and 20A and 32A 3 phase sockets. It is a nicely resolved but if design tho