Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The image on the Legend view of Plugshare for Tesla Destination Chargers shows the US style of connector, and should be ignored.
Tesla destination chargers are actually Tesla's own High Powered Wall Connector (HPWC) now more commonly known as Wall Connectors, they are fitted with a tethered cable that has a Type 2 female plug on the end and it will plug into Model 3 with no issue.
At most locations these charging locations can supply up to 32A 3 phase (22kW), however the maximum current the vehicle will take is 16A 3 phase, so your Model 3 will get 11kW (~50+ km/hr).

Oh neat, thanks. I guess plugshare is US-centric. How do the model S/X cope if they are all Type2? Are they fitted with two cables like the superchargers?
Model S/X have Type 2 connectors, same as Model 3. But Model 3 uses the bottom extra two pins for DC charging, whereas the Model S/X use the Type 2 connector for DC charging with some internal switching going on, no other car manufacturers do this, so hence moving to the CCS2 standard for Model 3. I expect future Model S/X will have CCS2 port as well, as it's basically now the universal EV standard charging connector.

Thanks. Might look into the Powershop offer then. Electric vehicles - Powershop
Rates in my area are almost the same as my current time-of-use plan (a cent more here and there), except for the midnight to 4am cheap rate. Looks interesting enough, but it's hard to understand these offers: e.g. will the quoted rates enjoy a 23.2% discount if purchased using a Mega Pack? Would assume so, so I might look into switching to this...
Thanks for the heads-up!

Reactions: Hairyman
Rates in my area are almost the same as my current time-of-use plan (a cent more here and there), except for the midnight to 4am cheap rate. Looks interesting enough, but it's hard to understand these offers: e.g. will the quoted rates enjoy a 23.2% discount if purchased using a Mega Pack? Would assume so, so I might look into switching to this...
Thanks for the heads-up!
No worries. A lot of the rates are set according to the distributors and the state government. After that the gen-traders discount depending on their costs and competition. You are right there is not much difference as a result.

The 0000-0400 rate looks pretty attractive especially combined with the off peak and shoulder rates. I’m wondering how it would end up for me with my solar and battery system in the summer, I could get killed in the winter, but the easiest way to find out is to try. There is no lock in period so not much to lose if it is no good,

You could ping their twitter account with your question. Their team is very responsive.

That powershop offer for offpeak is MORE expensive than my current offpeak. And much cheaper peak rate.
Yeah its fossil fuels but.. cheap electrons!

I am considering upgrading my solar and getting a powerwall though. So maybe cheap solar energy soon?
Yeah, its not going to pay itself off for awhile but I get to give the middle finger to my power company most of the time and thats priceless.

Last edited: