TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Charging in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ShockOnT, May 1, 2019.

1. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I drove my S for many months before the HPWC was installed. You will add about 10km range per hour charging, so unless you drive more than 100ks everyday, you should be fine.

• Informative x 1
  2. baillies

baillies Member

You could also set the charge timer in the car so it only starts charging at 2am when you probably aren’t using the vacuum.

3. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

Where would you set that up? Is that in the Tesla app, the car etc?

4. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

In the car

• Like x 1
  5. paulp

paulp Active Member

You can always turn the charge rate down in the car. It will be slow but overnight will add a fair bit. Essentially each 1 amp in the mobile connector = 1 km of range per hour of charging, so if you typically do 50km in a day, set at 5 amps you will need 10 hours of charging (8pm til 6am set inside the car). If you need more range or faster charging you will need to invest in a new circuit.

6. Didaho

Didaho Member

Switch them off when you plug the car in - with a strategic post-it to switch them back on.

7. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Or just run a new 40AMP cable back to your switch box....you’ll not regret it....only cost me $300-$400....

8. djayz

djayz Member

I suspect it will be a lot more for my place given it's double storey house, garage on other end of the house and they'll have to run the cables between the 2 floors by taking AC ducts off etc...wouldn't be surprised if its double your quote which given we may be moving house within 6-12 mths it seems wasteful.

9. Stevie_C

Stevie_C Member

Your investing big $$$ in the car so it’s worthwhile investing a few hundred on your charging by installing a 40A cct.
    In readiness I have run two 40A ccts, one cct direct from the solar battery and one from grid. The solar battery (20kwh) and inverter can supply 25A continuously.
    Unless your doing big kms each day you will be surprised what you can accumulate from a 10 or 15A cct.

10. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

@djayz double storey house here and have a long length from one side of house to the other also....even at $600-$800 for a year without the inconvenience you're mentioned I feel is money well spent...we have 2x Tesla off of the 1x 40amp cable (with 32amp max charge rate in each car set) and the master/slave of the wall chargers works it out well...

Maybe get a few quotes, ensure you're not getting ripped.

11. Tasdoc

Tasdoc Member

I’ve had my Model S for almost two years now, done 60,000Ks, mixed city and highway driving. All without a HPWC, just a normal power point in a garage. Was reluctant to pay $$$ as I was renting. Worked out quite well, never had a problem.

Now I have bought a house, so getting a charger next week

• Informative x 1
  12. dmaunder

dmaunder Member

13. possum22

possum22 Member

They would be 110-120 Volt, would it work at 240V and Australian Model 3 UMC is a unknown.

14. miimura

miimura Active Member

This is terribly ill-advised. The plug head contains two important features that you would probably be cutting off rendering it either unsafe or completely inoperable.
    1. Thermal sensor to detect an overheating plug-socket interface
    2. Current indicator (a specific value resistor to tell the MC what amp plug is present)
    American vendors like EVSEadapters duplicate those features when they provide a different plug than those provided by Tesla. The change in voltage is actually not a problem. It is well known that the Gen1 Mobile Connector which does not have a 240V 20A version can use an adapter from NEMA 5-20 to NEMA 6-20 without issue. That external adapter allows you to buy the 120V 20A adapter from Tesla and plug it into a 240V 20A socket. The Gen2 Mobile Connector has a wider variety of North American adapters available, so no such external adapters are required.

• Like x 2
  15. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

16. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

x-quoted from the Tesla 3 in Australia topic...

Very helpful post for n00bs like me currently trying to learn the charging world.
    So it sounds like with these last 2 items I'd be all set for most scenarios.

17. dmaunder

dmaunder Member

I wasnt giving advice, I was asking for it. I was under the impression (or expectation perhaps) that those safety features were in the other end of the cable that plugs into the UMC. If they are are in the wall plug end, then it is a very bad idea, which is a pity.

18. TonyEm

TonyEm Member

Any thoughts / experience on the barrel vs lead type of adapters ?
    EVSE Barrel or EVSE Lead

The only difference appears to be the lead option will have the lead and charge plug dragging down the side of the car, where as the barrel will hold the charge plug/handle away from the car.... am i missing anything else ?

Is it worth getting the tesla one which is $95 us plus shipping ...

Im keeping my existing LEAF charger (Chargepoint [Coloumb] CT-500) so want to have the adapter ready to roll when the car arrives ...

19. dmaunder

dmaunder Member

The one from the US shop will convert from J1772 to the US proprietary Telsa plug, it wont fit into any Australian Teslas, or any other AU cars for that matter.

• Informative x 2
  20. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

The barrel type of adapter puts greater strain on your Tesla charge port as it extends the leverage imposed by the charge cable, plus it is easier to leave behind.
    The cable type is a bit more work to connect and takes up a bit more space.
    I think either will do the job.
    I have the cable type, but only because that’s all that was available at the time. I keep mine in the boot underfloor store. I take it out of the store, unlock the charger and bring the J1772 to the adapter and connect them together then lower the combined cable carefully under the back of the car where it won’t be stepped upon then plugin. Doing it this way minimises the potential to scratch my car with the J1772 end of the adapter which has a number of hard edges.