Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have updated our charging google document in Tesla WA Slack to include Model 3 and CCS2.
If there are any errors or omissions, please let me know.
Although the information applies to all Teslas in Australia, the document also includes specific details about WA charging.
The document can be updated or edited by any member of Tesla WA Slack.

Attachments

• Tesla charging - New Charging sheet.pdf
    586 KB · Views: 116
  • Tesla charging - Future Developments.pdf
    40.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Tesla charging - Destination chargers and sockets to install.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Tesla charging - Senate Submission.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 75
We have updated our charging google document in Tesla WA Slack to include Model 3 and CCS2.
If there are any errors or omissions, please let me know.
Although the information applies to all Teslas in Australia, the document also includes specific details about WA charging.
The document can be updated or edited by any member of Tesla WA Slack.

I think the following map extracted from one of the other submissions made to the Senate Select Inquiry into Electric Vehicles https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=20a60422-e9c7-44d3-9613-4efa31263765&subId=658974 shows a greater scope than just Western Australia for the installation of Fast DC chargers useful to Model 3

Proposed charging stations - Google My Maps

Total after proposal.JPG

I've been looking around for some type 2 charging cables. I don't want to be ripped off, however have noticed some discrepancies in the specs. Some cables are advertised as 7kW like this one: 5 Metre Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable - 7kW however in the specs it is 22kW capable. Yet another cable like this: 5 Metre Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable - 22kW is advertised as 22kW, is 22kW in the specs, however is more expensive.

Anyone know what the go is here? Can these cables support exactly the same maximum charge rate of 22kW? I know the Model 3 only supports 11kW, however this is more than 7kW and higher charging speeds on the go are helpful.

I've been looking around for some type 2 charging cables. I don't want to be ripped off, however have noticed some discrepancies in the specs. Some cables are advertised as 7kW like this one: 5 Metre Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable - 7kW however in the specs it is 22kW capable. Yet another cable like this: 5 Metre Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable - 22kW is advertised as 22kW, is 22kW in the specs, however is more expensive.

Anyone know what the go is here? Can these cables support exactly the same maximum charge rate of 22kW? I know the Model 3 only supports 11kW, however this is more than 7kW and higher charging speeds on the go are helpful.

The 7kW cable you linked to is single phase. The specs are probably copied and pasted from the other 22kW unit. You can call evse.com.au to clarify.

Get the three phase 32A (22kW) adaptor cable . When you really need the extra charging speed you won't care about the $30 additional cost and you'll get better value for money at some public charging stations that charge by time.

The 7kW cable you linked to is single phase. The specs are probably copied and pasted from the other 22kW unit. You can call evse.com.au to clarify.

Get the three phase 32A (22kW) adaptor cable . When you really need the extra charging speed you won't care about the $30 additional cost and you'll get better value for money at some public charging stations that charge by time.
see also 62196 Type 2 Connector/Cable 3 Phase 32A Level 2 for Electric Vehicle EV Charging in IEC 62196-2 Cables for Sale

I recently purchased a Type 2 to Type 2 cable as a few chargers have popped up in my area. I bought the 5 metre version of this one: Type 2 to Type 2 Lead for $295 including shipping.
It’s a quality piece of kit and I have run it at 22 Kw and it hardly got warm. Only issue is it weighs a bit and is a bit unwieldy to handle, so you have to trade this off against a lighter 7Kw version that they also sell.

Can someone please confirm (or fix) my understanding of charging.

Tesla's website shows all Model 3's have an onboard charger rated to 11kW:
Home Charging Installation

But there seems to be plenty of confirmation that the Standard Range Plus which I'm getting is limited by a 7.7kW onboard charger:
Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus specs, photos, price, offers and incentives
What is the fastest model 3 charge rate other than Supercharger

So am I right that most of the chargers around me, which seem to be rated at 22kW (e.g. Chargefox ones at Heidelberg and Greensborough) won't offer me any speed advantage over a 7.7kW station, or indeed my home HPWC which will also deliver 7.7kW?

Can any EVs accept AC at 22kW? Or is this just future-proofing the chargers for when EVs can?

I assume that installing a DC fast charger is significantly more expensive than an AC one, hence why there is so few of them?

But there seems to be plenty of confirmation that the Standard Range Plus which I'm getting is limited by a 7.7kW onboard charger:

So am I right that most of the chargers around me, which seem to be rated at 22kW (e.g. Chargefox ones at Heidelberg and Greensborough) won't offer me any speed advantage over a 7.7kW station, or indeed my home HPWC which will also deliver 7.7kW?

Can any EVs accept AC at 22kW? Or is this just future-proofing the chargers for when EVs can?

I assume that installing a DC fast charger is significantly more expensive than an AC one, hence why there is so few of them?
You need 3 phase power to get 11 kW, only the older Model S(with dual chargers) up to mid 2016 get 22 kW.

for new Tesla cars at various power levels in the table below. (From link posted above).
Output Power Power Settings Range added per hour* (km/h)
Power (kW)
Phase + Amps Model 3 Model S Model X
16.5 3phase 24A 75 90 80
11 3phase 16A 75 60 54
7.4 Single phase 32A 50 38 34
3.7 Single phase 16A 25 19 17
2.3 Single phase 10A 15 13 11

The HPWC will be capable of delivering 22kW but M3 cannot accept more than 11kW.
Old Model S,X could accept 22kW, but modern ones only 18kW.
DC chargers have more highly powered rectifiers in the charger at the roadside, so are more expensive.
See post 121 in this conversation for a summary of this.

The HPWC will be capable of delivering 22kW but M3 cannot accept more than 11kW.
Thanks, the links in post 121 are very useful and I'm thinking about stripping out the Model S and X so I have a handy 1-page cheat sheet for my Model 3.
The Model 3 11kW limit I believe is only for the LR and Performance versions. The Standard Range plus seems to be limited to 7.7kW (or 7.4kW depending upon what you assume for the voltage). Would be nice to see this confirmed by Tesla somewhere, but I've not found it yet.

You would be better with a Model S UMC with a Euro 3 phase connection.

Why is that? I want to be able for it to handle 3 phase 32 amp, 3 phase 20 amp and single phase 10 and 15 amp, plus chademo if possible.

How would I get this other than juice booster? The problem is they want you to spend $2.2K on a juice booster but no detail on what connections you get with it (if any). If there are other options available I am all ears!!!! Help!

Why is that? I want to be able for it to handle 3 phase 32 amp, 3 phase 20 amp and single phase 10 and 15 amp, plus chademo if possible.

How would I get this other than juice booster? The problem is they want you to spend $2.2K on a juice booster but no detail on what connections you get with it (if any). If there are other options available I am all ears!!!! Help!

Just get an openEVSE and safe yourself a lot of grief. You can wire up a few different plugs with a quick connect.

I agree with Ray, the model 3 is limited to 11kw, the juice booster is a very handy bit of equipment for 17kw and 22kw Tesla's but your better off going for the basic model S UMC with 3 phase tails. Once the model 3 is in your possession borrow a few cables from a Melbourne owner, test out the charging speeds and versatility then make a purchase from that data.

As far as I can see, the Model 3 does not support greater than 16 AMP 3 Phase which the UMC will do at a much cheaper price than the Juice thingy. CHAdeMO is a waste of time with the 3 as it supports CCS and most if not all CHAdeMO units in this country also support CCS. Again, as I see it, the 3 needs a UMC, a Euro 3 phase adapter, both 32 and 20 AMP Oz tails,, a Type 2 to Type 2 32 AMP 3 phase cable for when the CCS is broken and (as a last resort) a Type 1 (J1772) to Type 2 adapter.

As far as I can see, the Model 3 does not support greater than 16 AMP 3 Phase which the UMC will do at a much cheaper price than the Juice thingy. CHAdeMO is a waste of time with the 3 as it supports CCS and most if not all CHAdeMO units in this country also support CCS. Again, as I see it, the 3 needs a UMC, a Euro 3 phase adapter, both 32 and 20 AMP Oz tails,, a Type 2 to Type 2 32 AMP 3 phase cable for when the CCS is broken and (as a last resort) a Type 1 (J1772) to Type 2 adapter.

Is it still possible to buy the UMC? I thought It was discontinued and replaced by the single phase MC that comes with the 3?

I am tempted to get a Juice Booster as we plan on doing alot of remote type driving. However, there seems to be only one distributor and their web site does not say what connections you get for it, which seems rediculous. Anyone got info on juice booster or alternatives for AU?
Since I already have an EVSE (OpenEVSE) installed for charging at home. I'm going to use the supplied Wall Connector as a 3-phase portable EVSE