Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4EBC7A19-AEBF-4A03-A8BE-8B2BE2E3CF2E.jpeg
At the Wondonga charging stations just out of town they have a number of the RACV chargers. Question is which one’s will charge the 3? The tritium charger has a CCS port so that fine, the rapid charger next to it has two cables/plugs but I’m not sure what they are. I didn’t think to pull one out as it was ages ago I was there. There’s an A & B plug with no symbol on the unit. Does anyone know if one will plug into the Model 3?

View attachment 422604 At the Wondonga charging stations just out of town they have a number of the RACV chargers. Question is which one’s will charge the 3? The tritium charger has a CCS port so that fine, the rapid charger next to it has two cables/plugs but I’m not sure what they are. I didn’t think to pull one out as it was ages ago I was there. There’s an A & B plug with no symbol on the unit. Does anyone know if one will plug into the Model 3?
Blue one is CHAdeMO, white one is CCS2.
Here is a link to the original announcement with the Pollies holding the plugs showing their type.
Victoria install ultra-rapid EV chargers – "Australia's fastest" | The Driven

• Informative
Reactions: houdini
View attachment 422604 At the Wondonga charging stations just out of town they have a number of the RACV chargers. Question is which one’s will charge the 3? The tritium charger has a CCS port so that fine, the rapid charger next to it has two cables/plugs but I’m not sure what they are. I didn’t think to pull one out as it was ages ago I was there. There’s an A & B plug with no symbol on the unit. Does anyone know if one will plug into the Model 3?
The answer to your question about “which one will charge the 3”...the answer is.....the one that fits in the socket in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: miimura
Similar question to another thread - Ive got a Chargepoint (Coloumb) CT500 that's been happily charging a Nissan Leaf for 7 years via its J1772 plug. The LEAF is to be replaced with a Model 3 in August.

Tesla shop us mentions they include an adaptor to allow J1772 plugs in their cars for free - does Tesla Aus do the same ?
(There appears other Aus based options for the adapter if the tesla one isn't bundled in for free)

I know i get the HPWC for free with the car - I'm just not sure whether i stick with the CT500 as its on the wall and simpler (although I need to use the adapter all the time at home) or sell the CT500 with the LEAF and get the HPWC installed. It would be easier if the HPWC came early then i could get it installed at the same time i take the CT500 off (one set of sparky visit!).

Similar question to another thread - Ive got a Chargepoint (Coloumb) CT500 that's been happily charging a Nissan Leaf for 7 years via its J1772 plug. The LEAF is to be replaced with a Model 3 in August.

Tesla shop us mentions they include an adaptor to allow J1772 plugs in their cars for free - does Tesla Aus do the same ?
(There appears other Aus based options for the adapter if the tesla one isn't bundled in for free)

I know i get the HPWC for free with the car - I'm just not sure whether i stick with the CT500 as its on the wall and simpler (although I need to use the adapter all the time at home) or sell the CT500 with the LEAF and get the HPWC installed. It would be easier if the HPWC came early then i could get it installed at the same time i take the CT500 off (one set of sparky visit!).

J1772 plug Is not supplied in AU, I believe this is only in the US as there were so many J1772 stations when the S was released.

• Helpful
Reactions: TonyEm
I will only have access to a standard power point in my garage. It’s got 2 ports and one has the ducted vacuum cleaner for the house plugged in it.

What would happen if while the car is charging the vacuum kicks in and therefore the available power is now shared? Will the car adjust or will that excess load cause problems?

I will only have access to a standard power point in my garage. It’s got 2 ports and one has the ducted vacuum cleaner for the house plugged in it.

What would happen if while the car is charging the vacuum kicks in and therefore the available power is now shared? Will the car adjust or will that excess load cause problems?
You should not draw more than 10A from a standard plug. If the car is charging and someone uses the vacuum, you risk melting the socket or worse.
Generally more than one 10A power point is on a circuit and the breaker will be more than 10A, so check that.
It’s probably worth having an electrician advise you what load can be safely run from the garage.

Excess load - trip circuit breaker. Happens to me often, when the cars start charging at 10pm & the reverse cycle heater is still on
Tesla will not adjust

You should not draw more than 10A from a standard plug. If the car is charging and someone uses the vacuum, you risk melting the socket or worse.
Generally more than one 10A power point is on a circuit and the breaker will be more than 10A, so check that.
It’s probably worth having an electrician advise you what load can be safely run from the garage.

That’s what am afraid. There are 2 double GPOs I’m the garage, on the same wall about 3m apart. One has a deep freezer attached and the other a ducted vacuum. I worry whether all of it is on the same circuit and thus even less power available.

I didn’t really want to install a HPWC or a new circuit as we’re likely only going to be in this house for a few months after the car arrives.