Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging is draining the powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4kW wasn't a hard limit, it was just the cutoff where FiT payment significantly reduced to the point where a 4kWp system would get a larger FiT payout than a larger kWp install, assuming generation remained linear. I cannot remember the exact figures, but with us another 5W of panels would have given us a FiT income a fraction of what we get with the slightly smaller system. We could have had a few more panels (iirc ~1.5kWp) with the same inverter and kept under the 16A, but it just was not worth it by the amount of FiT income we would have lost. That would have been nice evening wise as I would probably have put a few W facing but I probably would have ended up sabotaging a certain tree a few houses away that seriously curtails our late afternoon/evening generation. Can't do much about next doors house though!
I may have more panels, but unfortunately, my neighbour has more trees 😢. I do have permission to thin them out. I’ll get it done one day!

Attachments

• 9FB49871-0707-4969-BB1C-EF7A178DD5B0.jpeg
    9FB49871-0707-4969-BB1C-EF7A178DD5B0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
Reactions: sliyk
I may have more panels, but unfortunately, my neighbour has more trees 😢. I do have permission to thin them out. I’ll get it done one day!
I’m getting this problem too. 4 panels, west-facing on the garage for late afternoon sun are being obscured by the neighbour’s seemingly fastest growing tree ever (ok…. I exaggerate but it feel that way!). Solar is good for the environment but so are trees! Ahhhhhh…. the dilemma of it all.

I’m getting this problem too. 4 panels, west-facing on the garage for late afternoon sun are being obscured by the neighbour’s seemingly fastest growing tree ever (ok…. I exaggerate but it feel that way!). Solar is good for the environment but so are trees! Ahhhhhh…. the dilemma of it all.
It’s a pain, but on balance, one I can live with. They are all deciduous bar a Scots Pine two doors down and south-west of me. In winter it obscures all my panels for an hour. But its there and it’s pretty.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
a bit of an update, seemed like advanced and cost saving made the powerwall abstain from charging the car (home) and this has nothing to do with zappi as even avoid drain still gets power from the battery, not really sure what is the purpose of avoid charge or avoid drain if it will still drain the battey?

Thats possibly the best orientation if you want to benefit from longer period of extended generation. South facing may give best peak power, but its very peaky. E-W will spread that peak albeit at a loss in peak power. imho, if I had a choice, I would want E-W. Other caveats apply such as shading.

Well that is good to hear. There are no objects or foliage blocking our E-W roof facing to the sky. Only caveat is that the unused chimney is on the south-side of the roof, so that would potentially shade a different series of panels most of the day, much like a sundial.

How much did the powerwall and panels cost you?

We have a small 4-bed detached (sadly E-W facing roofs) and I'm so very tempted to join this party.
I have two. Cost was about £7K each. One was fitted in 2017 and one in 2018.
there Isn’t a sensible payback term but if I had to, I’d buy them again without a second thought.
One was OK and probably sufficient but having two makes big difference. I can draw a peak of 10Kwh and a sustainable 7Kwh+

Reactions: sliyk