Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging now limited to 34Amps after 24.6.9 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For more than two years I have been using a Model S mobile adapter permanently plugged into my dedicated 50 amp garage 240 VAC circuit. I use this instead of buying the more expensive wall charger. By using this Model S adapter I can charge my car at up to 40 amps rather than the 34 amps limit of the Model 3 mobile connector. I always store my Model 3 adapter in the car.
However after updating to the latest software (rev 24.6.9), the car limits the maximum charge current to 34 amps?? My car will not let me increase the charge current beyond the 34 amps. Anyone else having this issue or has something gone wrong with my adapter and it's just coincidently lined up with the new software rev. ?

Sorry about your need to charge quickly at all times of the day. If you charged overnight rather than, lets say, during your lunch hour, you wouldn't have any problem with 34 amps. I charge my 3 on 24 amps and never have a problem. But does 40 amps really let you charge that much faster? I picture you standing beside the car tapping your foot while you wait for that last three electrons to ooze into the battery.

For more than two years I have been using a Model S mobile adapter permanently plugged into my dedicated 50 amp garage 240 VAC circuit. I use this instead of buying the more expensive wall charger. By using this Model S adapter I can charge my car at up to 40 amps rather than the 34 amps limit of the Model 3 mobile connector. I always store my Model 3 adapter in the car.
However after updating to the latest software (rev 24.6.9), the car limits the maximum charge current to 34 amps?? My car will not let me increase the charge current beyond the 34 amps. Anyone else having this issue or has something gone wrong with my adapter and it's just coincidently lined up with the new software rev. ?
Sorry, most won't have a Gen 1 to compare to. Has anyone else tried your mobile adapter and see if it can go above 32A?

As for the poster above, he's completely missing the point.

Sorry about your need to charge quickly at all times of the day. If you charged overnight rather than, lets say, during your lunch hour, you wouldn't have any problem with 34 amps. I charge my 3 on 24 amps and never have a problem. But does 40 amps really let you charge that much faster? I picture you standing beside the car tapping your foot while you wait for that last three electrons to ooze into the battery.
Excuse me? Your opinion of when to charge and at what maximum charge current has nothing o do with my post. You limit your charging to 24 amps, well goody goody for you. And your comment about how you visualize me standing by my car and tapping my foot, well get a life dude.

I have a Gen 1 UMC and charge at 40A. I haven't noticed this yet. Will pay more attention Monday when I plug in next, I am having other issues with my GEn 1, as its starting to not kick the charging on each morning.

Just doing quick math, I doubt I'm having the same issue. I plugged in a 5 am this morning and unplugged at noon, after a lunch break in my car where I ran the AC heavily. I still put on 200 miles in 7 hours, which aligns closely with the usual 30 miles per hour I get from my 208V 40A connection

Reactions: Phlier and ra88it
I have a Gen 1 UMC and charge at 40A. I haven't noticed this yet. Will pay more attention Monday when I plug in next, I am having other issues with my GEn 1, as its starting to not kick the charging on each morning.

Just doing quick math, I doubt I'm having the same issue. I plugged in a 5 am this morning and unplugged at noon, after a lunch break in my car where I ran the AC heavily. I still put on 200 miles in 7 hours, which aligns closely with the usual 30 miles per hour I get from my 208V 40A connection
If you change your display settings to energy. You can see if you charge at 7kw or 10kw. But the in car charging display will show you 40A vs 32A as well. Sounds like yours is working properly

I'm clear on the differences between kW and Amps, i just didn't look at the display when I plugged in.

However based on the other data, I am getting the usual 30 miles per hour on 40A at 208V.

Will snap a pic of the screen charging, the only time I remember looking today was when I had the AC on at lunch. That will show a lower charge rate than 40A when the AC is consuming some of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm not having issues home charging. Gen 2 UMC on 50amp breaker - always charge after midnight. 30 miles per hour charge.

30 MPH is rare, and only makes sense if you have 208V service like my work.

Just checked this morning, same 40A as always.

I suspect you have a bad connection somewhere in the UMC or plug. I'd try to plug it in elsewhere and see what happens?

If the Tesla detects overheating or voltage drop it will drop amps down. Next time you plug in, notice what is the voltage as the car ramps up charging?

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and GSP
Could be heat building up. I noticed some auto-throttling on occasion with the Gen1 as temps started to go up.

Later found out the breaker trashed itself due to the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Well my gen 1 mobile connector is back to allowing my car to charge at 40 amps at around 242 volts. I believe what was happening was heat related and possibly due to neighborhood voltage drops during charging due to high utility usage. It was not related to the software update. Thanks for all the feedback from this group.
I'm in a hot climate and I've never experienced reduced charging in my HOT garages especially in the summer. It may be due to me always charging after midnight when the grid sees lower usage.

Reactions: ElectricIAC