Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most complete solution, although it requires an investment, is adding solar panels and a Powerwall battery. With that setup you can use the Tesla app to charge the battery from your solar panels, or if from the grid, when rates are lowest, and you can then charge the car from the Powerwall when you want, such as based on departure time.

It doesnt work exactly like that.... (and I have tesla solar, 2 tesla powerwalls and a model 3, so am fairly familiar with how they interact).

I'm a new Model 3 Owner. I have read the manual. I'm just confused about one thing, Scheduled Charging vs. Scheduled Departure. I'm still waiting for my utility, ComEd, to switch me over to hourly pricing. But they tell me their best rates are between 1 and 5am. So here's the question: I want to use the "Scheduled Departure" feature to get the battery ready (It gets VERY cold where I live). But with a 9a departure it tells me that it completes charging at about 5:30, which is past the optimum pricing window. Is there a way to set departure AND charging time, to make sure you get the absolute best rates?
When in doubt -- lie
Tell the Tesla you are leaving at 8:30 am

Or just admit to yourself that cheap charging is your priority and start at 1am.
The more interesting detail is you will be using expensive mains electricity rather than cheap(er) stored electricity from the battery to heat the car for comfort before driving unless you disconnect the EVSE.

First world problems

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
@jjrandorin, I'm not sure what part of my explanation you think is inaccurate. I agree it is more complex, and my explanation didn't do it full justice. But it is true that if you are on a time of use schedule with your electricity provider, then through the app you can choose Customize and then Advanced, and then Edit Price Schedule. You can then enter the Peak and Off Peak time ranges currently offered by your electric utility. The app will then take those periods into account along with other factors when deciding

1. the source of electricity, i.e. Grid, Solar Panels, Powerwall,
2. the destination, i.e. Grid, Home, Powerwall

Through the app managing those factors you can essentially avoid taking electricity from the grid during peak, and instead only using Solar Panels as the source during the day when they are producing or the Powerwall when they are not. Note that if the solar panels are producing more than enough as required by your home, the app can send power back to the grid so you get the credit at the highest rate. It might even choose to take power from the Powerwall during that time so it can send more back to the grid.

Hope that helps.

I'm a new Model 3 Owner. I have read the manual. I'm just confused about one thing, Scheduled Charging vs. Scheduled Departure. I'm still waiting for my utility, ComEd, to switch me over to hourly pricing. But they tell me their best rates are between 1 and 5am. So here's the question: I want to use the "Scheduled Departure" feature to get the battery ready (It gets VERY cold where I live). But with a 9a departure it tells me that it completes charging at about 5:30, which is past the optimum pricing window. Is there a way to set departure AND charging time, to make sure you get the absolute best rates?

Hey so I am from Optiwatt and we support ComEd users in app. Our app tracks your charge and lets you schedule your charge during off peak times. We also support real-time rates for ComEd customers on their hourly plan so, we help to prevent charging during pricing spikes.

If I need full charge in the morning, I set the charge level lower than full (maybe 90%) - When I awake, I move the slider to 100% to finish charge while I get ready. (Leaving it sit fully charged is a no-no.)
Have not tried to charge using 'depart by' method - just don't trust it.
If I don't need full charge I leave it set to 90%. Doesn't get that cold so pre-warm not an issue here.