Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging speed versus Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear the M3 Charges faster than the M3 or X. Is that true? Also are the rated miles of 310 for the LR version at 65 mph at 72 F like the MS and X?
Yes to old S and X, slightly yes to Raven S and X though I hear Tesla will ramp up Raven speed. Definitely No to 65mph 310 miles.
The EPA rating uses the full capacity of the battery including buffer. You can use the buffer only when you go below 0% so very unlikely. From0-100% you have therefore 96% of rated miles and to achieve that you will probably need to drive slower than rated speed and consumption- I would assume below 60mph or with AC off ,with 90% battery will get you to the 310miles, on a good day without much elevation and less wind. With the 18"

Supercharges faster, generally yes. However, most (if not all?) Model S/X can do faster L2 charging if the station supports more than 48A.
True of old S/X with 72A onboard chargers. Recent S/X top out on L2 at the same 48A as the 3.

3 can currently Supercharge at up to 250kW vs 200 kW for recent S/X and 150 kW for older S/X.

Reactions: cwerdna
OP's question is too vague. Are we talking about "miles per hour" (I hate that "measure") or actual power (in kW) and on what? We need to know on which Superchargers. If on L2, we need to know the max amperage of the OBC and the connected EVSE.

For example, an old Model S w/80 amps of OBC (twin 10 kW OBCs) or 72 amps of OBC on an wall connector or J1772 EVSE that can output 80 amps will for course charge faster than any Model 3 (max available is 48 amp OBC) in terms or kW.

80 amps * 240 volts = 19,200 watts = 19.2 kW
72 amps * 240 volts = 17,280 watts = 17.28 kW

48 amps * 240 volts = 11,520 watts = 11.52 kW
However, most (if not all?) Model S/X can do faster L2 charging if the station supports more than 48A.
In the past, it was possible that a US Model X or S could have a 72 or 80 amps of on-board charger(s). The choices were 40, 48, 72 and 80 amps. (80 amps was via twin 10 kW OBCs.)

However, now (Onboard Charger), for the US market, Tesla is only equipping even the S and X with 48 amp OBCs at max w/no option to upgrade. And, Model 3 below LR supposedly only have 32 amp OBCs.

One can look at a subset of past OBC past history at the below:
Onboard Charger
Onboard Charger

There's more to it than the above and it was covered on other pages on their site.

Last edited:
True of old S/X with 72A onboard chargers.
Model S went up to 80 amps of OBC at one point. But, that went away and 72 amps was the max possible.

I know the X had up to 72 amps of OBC at on point, but don't recall if 80 amp was ever a choice on the X.
Recent S/X top out on L2 at the same 48A as the 3.
Yep. And some 3's only have 32 amps of OBC.

I see you saying this a lot. Do you have any direct evidence/documentation? Legitimately curious.
Yes, of course. This is the case on all Teslas The evidence comes from reading the CAN bus. And also from the rated consumption * rated miles, it gives you the nominal full which includes the buffer.

Also, if you actually drive the car at rated miles consumption, you will not get the rated miles, because you only have the usable(nominal minus buffer, 96%). Which means that from 0-100% you only have the usable available(96% from full) and once you go to 0% you start eating the buffer(around 4%)
This is also another evidence.

My S even has an 80 amp onboard charger! Woo hoo!

Speedy...

raw

Model S went up to 80 amps of OBC at one point. But, that went away and 72 amps was the max possible.

I know the X had up to 72 amps of OBC at on point, but don't recall if 80 amp was ever a choice on the X.
Just to provide an answer to this:
It was only the S that had the 40 + 40 dual chargers option. When they came out with the X a few years later, it had the single "small" or "large" charger with the 48/72 options. Then, when they applied that X-looking nose to the S with the mid 2016 facelift, they also switched to that 48/72 single charger thing in the S as well.

• Informative
And now we're just down to 48 amp OBCs at max on new US-market S and X: Onboard Charger...
Yep, which is why I chuckle a little when people use the reason for overbuilding their charging setups with 100A circuits because they say Tesla cars will have higher and higher power onboard chargers, so it is "future proofing". Nope. Tesla's progression has been downward, from 80A to 72A to 48A. I don't see the trend upward in that.