Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Child booster seat compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Ok,

So I know it has ISOFIX and it's all good, but what I'd really like to find out is if the seats actually fit well.

I got 2 MaxiCosi (pebble?) seats and they don't behave well with headrests. You have to remove headrests for them to fit properly and not lean forward a bit.

Of course on the Model 3 the headrests are not removable.

I also have a fairly wide booster seat (with cup holders!) which ends up cutting into the bum-conforming seats in my BMW.

I do use covers of course.

Does anyone have experience with using child seats in their shiny new Model 3?

Ok,

So I know it has ISOFIX and it's all good, but what I'd really like to find out is if the seats actually fit well.

I got 2 MaxiCosi (pebble?) seats and they don't behave well with headrests. You have to remove headrests for them to fit properly and not lean forward a bit.

I also have a fairly wide booster seat (with cup holders!) which ends up cutting into the bum-conforming seats in my BMW.

The Pebbles are the ones for newborns and are removable and usually sit in the ISOfix base unit. I don’t think those are the ones you’re mentioning though as they go nowhere near the headrest as they’re rear facing.

We have a four year old in the maxi cost Rodifix and that fits just fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077D6N6P2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IOrBDb42TVZ53

Our one year old is in the Maxi Cosi axis-fix. This one has a plastic bit up the back and is reversible. Rear facing could be tight with the front seat if you have it back all the way. Front facing is fine though and the back of it fits fine with the seat. Maxi-Cosi AxissFix Plus i-Size Car Seat, Nomad Blue at John Lewis & Partners

Both of these for fine and you can even put the middle but down for cup holders too.

I would recommend seat covers though out of total caution. The Tesla is also a PITA to fix them as the hooks are up in between the seat back and base. My old Tiguan and superb had them exposed which made fitting and swapping between cars much easier!

Here's some pics I have. - blacked out kids' faces as the wife doesn't like them to be posted but these should give you a decent visual of both seats in situ. I can get better pics later if you need them. IMG_0661.jpeg IMG_0524.jpeg

Thats the one! Thanks for the pics. Does it work OK if you pull the headrest up?

I noticed you use a blanket, does it 'cut' into the seat? I got the covers, but it still leaves marks if you leave them in for ages.

Yup, works fine to max height. The rake of the seat puts the headrest far enough back that it isn’t an issue.

I haven’t noticed any cutting really however the seats are in and out of my car. I put the blanket down as the bottom of ours has been on the garage floor and is a bit rough and I was concerned more about abrasions to the seat itself.

Ok,

i put my childs carseat a stage 0-4 in at the test center for my test drive. it was easy simple and just worked to add I think ours is a cosi

I've put a couple of Cybex Solution Z-Fix car seats in my Model 3. Not noticed any issue with the headrest. There are a couple of easily removable side impact protection pads on the side of the car seats that are best removed before putting the armrest down. And at risk of stating the obvious, you can't get a third person in the back with the car seats, so we keep a Trunki BoostApak in the front trunk which we can swap with one of the car seats for shorter journeys with a third person. Oh, and they're reasonable easy to clean vomit off.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I used to have the same Rodifix as the photos above, and I felt that the car’s headrest made the whole carseat lean forward. My daughter never complained, but I’d look at her in the seat and she didn’t seem that comfortable (kind of perched on the edge of the seat as opposed to comfortably lounging in it). So I swapped it for one of these instead:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MFAYB3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Rodifix is an absolutely superb car seat, so I was pretty annoyed to have to replace it. I’m pretty happy with the new booster seat, so all’s well that ends well (although I still wish I didn’t have to spend more money).

Reactions: Avendit
a related query... I have white seats on order (I know I know!) and am looking for a seat protector to go underneath the car seat to help protect the seats.. There's various available on amazon.. I want to ensure no colour transfer into the seats as well as overall protection.

would welcome any recommendations.

We have a MaxiCosi Kore in a lovely "cognac" colour (daughter chose it..)

Screenshot_20200619-205422_Amazon Shopping.jpg

No complaints, fits well, and should last her a while.

I probably should get a seat protector but having removed it a few times to clean food debris it's not left any lasting marks like it did in the BMW the Tesla replaced.

My daughter never complained, but ... I swapped it for one of these instead:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MFAYB3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

... I’m pretty happy with the new booster seat, so all’s well that ends well
How old/tall was she when you got the Peg Perego Car Seat 2 – 3 Shuttle Monza? It says it is designed for about 3 to 12 years, 15 to 36 kg which is great, but then on their website adds "suitable for older children, who already have the right build to use the car’s seat belts" (my child in question is on the small size for their age).

Any problems accessing the seat belt socket in the Model 3 (for the adults or the child)?

How old/tall was she when you got the Peg Perego Car Seat 2 – 3 Shuttle Monza? It says it is designed for about 3 to 12 years, 15 to 36 kg which is great, but then on their website adds "suitable for older children, who already have the right build to use the car’s seat belts" (my child in question is on the small size for their age).

Any problems accessing the seat belt socket in the Model 3 (for the adults or the child)?
I think it was around her 7th birthday when I switched her to the booster. She is normal size, not massive but certainly not tiny.

It took her a few months to get the hang of the seatbelt (the socket is kind of buried). Her 9 year old sister sitting next to her would usually buckle her in (and I would check it). The 7 year old does it on her own now.

We had the same problem with the rodifix in the back on the m3, it's not too bad for our (small) 6y/o, but our 9y/o ends up with a really vertical and unsupported seatback. We mostly use a could of Graco boosters, although the younger swaps back to his real seat for longer journeys.

The Graco's are fine, but are a bit wide to easily get the seat belts in around. I'd happily swap them for some that are clearly narrower (without being rubbish obviously), but the measurements on Amazon all had them much of a muchness, so we went the cheap ones ;-). Boys seem happy.