Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3, chip magnet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car less than 5 months and there are already 3 chips in the windshield. The last chip was seemingly out of nowhere. I was well behind only a compact car on the freeway (hundreds of feet), no trucks or debris ahead and suddenly, *smack*. Is there something about the glass Tesla uses that makes it extra-susceptible to impacts? I have gone years in between chips like this in all my all other cars. I drove a Toyota Echo for 13 years and none of the similarly loud hits that it took in that time produced a gouge like the last hit to my Model 3.

After I get these fixed is there a recommended coating that can protect against this in the future? Interested if any of you have windshield protection on your cars.

Usually slippery aerodynamic cars do well in avoiding rocks. I had a mini which uses a fairly vertical windshield and that was a magnet. I’m actually impressed with our 3 glass in that it’s taken two direct shots that make you say whoa/wtf! and they only left a scuff/etch on the surface of the glass, better than a full on chip or crack.

I've had my car less than 5 months and there are already 3 chips in the windshield. The last chip was seemingly out of nowhere. I was well behind only a compact car on the freeway (hundreds of feet), no trucks or debris ahead and suddenly, *smack*. Is there something about the glass Tesla uses that makes it extra-susceptible to impacts? I have gone years in between chips like this in all my all other cars. I drove a Toyota Echo for 13 years and none of the similarly loud hits that it took in that time produced a gouge like the last hit to my Model 3.

After I get these fixed is there a recommended coating that can protect against this in the future? Interested if any of you have windshield protection on your cars.

I’ve only had my car on the highway maybe a dozen times since buying it almost four months ago and it has three chips. One chip bad enough that I had it repaired so it wouldn’t spread.

Also took a nice rock hit to the ceramic coated PPF on the hood that was so hard it punctured the film, so get to eat 200 getting that replaced already.

I had my car for 3 month.. I stopped counting chips after 10, also i repaired my windshield 2 times casue it actually cracked.. sometimes I felt rocks are raining on my windshield especially when I was following a larger turcks on the freeway, I tried to stay far away from them but it does not help... I think the aero of model 3 is channeling rocks to hit the windshield..

I had 2 chips last week on my 3 and my wife had a stone hit her X last month that extended 3 feet across the windshield that needed replacing. It’s that time of year with brine, salt and sand on the highways and 90% of my driving is on freeways/highways. My previous Model S’s didn’t escape unscathed either.

I have windshield film installed. So far haven’t had any chips. EAP also works fine.

Windshield protection film

Has anyone used windshield protection film?

I have 3 chips since September delivery. Colorado mountain roads are tough on windshields. In all my years up here, I never seem to go more than about a year before having to replace.

What's different on this car is that the chips aren't growing. That's unusual, never seen that before. Usually right after a chip, they start growing. Knock on glass.

I asked the SC about them, was hoping I didn't have to travel to SC to get new glass. They said Safelite can replace the glass.

My insurance allows one windshield a year without raising rates.

Peace and love,

I've gotten a lot of chips -- my autoglass shop agrees with the magnet part!

Their other recommendation was not to repair a big chip/spider on the lower black part of the windshield as the pressure the commercial repair injectors use will almost certainly cause the entire windshield to crack due to the internal stresses around that area. You'll have to do it by hand with the syringe method to fill those.

2,000 miles and I have at least 10 or more chips...only one 4 hour trip on the interstate. I am very aware of the potential for vehicles ahead kicking up rocks and I do not follow close, especially with my new car. Its insane...got to be the M3 aerodynamics and larger glass surface area to some extent. Could the glass be defective or of poor quality? My last car, Porsche 911 S, low front end, low to the ground took a lot of rocks but nothing remotely like this. Rennlist forum members used to say Porsche had "soft" glass. Very disappointed with Tesla's "softer" glass to say the least...

I use AutoPilot @ 3 car lengths.

I'm figuring that the majority of the times rocks seem to settle down after the first 2 hits of pavement that 3 car lengths gives me.

Are you saying that Tesla glass is soft and other ICE glass is not?

I'm 19K in on my model 3 with no chips.

Where are you guys driving? I'm not experiencing anything like this.

All of these rocks flying everywhere.....Is this the only thread for the 100k model 3's out there? Maybe it sounds bad because the people without issues aren't reporting in on this thread.

1. Places with arrid dry conditions breed more sand and small rocks on highways.
2. Places that put sand/gravel on roads to deal with slippery icy conditions.
3. Places undergoing massive construction booms where thousands of construction tracks are on the road every hour delivering rocks and building materials.

Denver (and other places) is all three.