Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Chrome Delete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings Tesla fans and owners!

When you ordered your Model 3, were you given an option to not have chrome but replace that with body-color matching hardware, namely for the door handles? I want to order a Model 3 Long Range in white (soon), but I prefer body-colored handles.

Will this be an option for me?

If not, has anyone here found a good way to paint the handles, or do just have 'em painted or powder-coated?

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
We were never offered a option from Tesla for chrome delete (I don't think Tesla was too many custom build variations).
I just purchased Nikola door handle wraps on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNY3F95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is much more chrome delete wraps you can purchase at various wed sites also.

Ah thanks! Those Amazon door handle covers look pretty good. It removes a lot of the effect of the chrome I don't like while still allowing the handles to be noticeable enough.

Ah thanks! Those Amazon door handle covers look pretty good. It removes a lot of the effect of the chrome I don't like while still allowing the handles to be noticeable enough.
Yes, I really like the ones I put on my car a couple months ago. I hate finger prints on the handles and these do a perfect job (and looks cool also:)). These were great quality and precision cut to fit. I have no idea how many years they last but for $20, I can handle replacing them down the road.

Reactions: Spacep0d
I recently installed these from Abstract Ocean and I've been very happy with them so far: Model 3 Vinyl Door Handle Trims (4 pack)

There is a slight bit of the chrome still visible, but I think it would give you that noticeable touch that you mentioned.
I don't think these come in Pearl White if that is your color.
If I understand, flat white (what they use to sell) use to be the white color on M3 a few years ago but then they went with Peal White.
I may be wrong but I did read this here before.

Greetings Tesla fans and owners!

When you ordered your Model 3, were you given an option to not have chrome but replace that with body-color matching hardware, namely for the door handles? I want to order a Model 3 Long Range in white (soon), but I prefer body-colored handles.

Will this be an option for me?

If not, has anyone here found a good way to paint the handles, or do just have 'em painted or powder-coated?

Thanks!

No, you can not get it that way from tesla at all (at least not yet). Big miss on their part for people who dont like chrome, too. as mentioned an entire cottage industry has sprung up to cover the chrome, both professionally from places that traditionally wrap cars, to DIY options available on amazon.

If I understand, flat white (what they use to sell) use to be the white color on M3 a few years ago but then they went with Peal White.
That's a good point - they offer some white options, but I don't believe they are a pearl finish. I went with black on mine since I was blacking out the chrome instead of going for a body color finish. The ones you posted are probably a better choice if you're looking for body matching.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I know people in your area that have used Autoskinz (I think that's the name). They do deletes and wraps.
Are you talking about the place in Santa Clarita? I have my 3 there right now getting ppf and ceramic coating. Have taken my other vehicle there for tune. They know Teslas for sure. Even have a loaner model 3 ( its currently in my garage). Great place. When i do my chrome delete i will take it here and get it to match my wheel color.

I recently installed these from Abstract Ocean and I've been very happy with them so far: Model 3 Vinyl Door Handle Trims (4 pack)

There is a slight bit of the chrome still visible, but I think it would give you that noticeable touch that you mentioned.

Yesh, the white is obviously not color-matched (can't blame 'em) but this might be better than chrome. I guess if I got really granular about this I could have 'em powder-coated in matching white.

Ah yes I see that. Frankly I prefer the flat white over the pearl white. I'll have to see more pictures of it or see the car in person to know if I still want pearl over blue or red. I like white vehicles to be a pure white, no pearl. Maybe it still looks good, but it'll be fun to visit a showroom and see (if they have any cars, lol).

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
No, you can not get it that way from tesla at all (at least not yet). Big miss on their part for people who dont like chrome, too. as mentioned an entire cottage industry has sprung up to cover the chrome, both professionally from places that traditionally wrap cars, to DIY options available on amazon.

For sure. Tesla should capitalize on this for all custom orders. Also, we need a flat/pure white option, not just pearl white. I'll have to see that color in-person but I'm not a fan of off-white or pearl white usually. But, the white M3 still looks pretty stunning in pictures so I'll have to see it in person too.

I come from the world of sportbikes and we avoid chrome like the plague. Looks okay on a car (luxury, etc.) but I prefer uninterrupted lines where possible. :D

Are you talking about the place in Santa Clarita? I have my 3 there right now getting ppf and ceramic coating. Have taken my other vehicle there for tune. They know Teslas for sure. Even have a loaner model 3 ( its currently in my garage). Great place. When i do my chrome delete i will take it here and get it to match my wheel color.

Ah yes, perfect! Hello neighbor! :)

For sure. Tesla should capitalize on this for all custom orders. Also, we need a flat/pure white option, not just pearl white. I'll have to see that color in-person but I'm not a fan of off-white or pearl white usually. But, the white M3 still looks pretty stunning in pictures so I'll have to see it in person too.

I come from the world of sportbikes and we avoid chrome like the plague. Looks okay on a car (luxury, etc.) but I prefer uninterrupted lines where possible. :D

They reduce options to make manufacturing easier. More options = more variations = more cost... so there is not much choice on a model 3. You get to chose one of a few colors, black or white seats, battery size, and one of two wheel sizes. thats basically it.

Contrast that with something like BMW or Porsche, where there is a ton of customization (and easy to add to the price of the vehicle). Maybe one day Tesla will get there with more choice, but they needed to reduce complexity as much as possible, just to survive.

They reduce options to make manufacturing easier. More options = more variations = more cost... so there is not much choice on a model 3. You get to chose one of a few colors, black or white seats, battery size, and one of two wheel sizes. thats basically it.

Contrast that with something like BMW or Porsche, where there is a ton of customization (and easy to add to the price of the vehicle). Maybe one day Tesla will get there with more choice, but they needed to reduce complexity as much as possible, just to survive.

You make a sound argument. Considering Tesla being a newish company with lots of naysayers and production goals to meet, I'm all for the current set of options if they think that's ideal. I'm happy to slap a wrap (really a sticker) on the handles and call it a day. :D

Im actually in palmdale but Autoskinz is the closest quality place near me

That's amazing. I could pretty much walk home from Autoskinz if I had to. Short rideshare away. I love that they have a Model 3 RWD as a loaner!

I kept seeing the word 'Teslas' on Autoskinz's site written as Tesla's so I gave 'em a heads up. This shop looks to be top quality. I'll definitely pay them a visit once I take delivery of my Model 3 so I can get some heat-rejecting tint, maybe some paint protection (ceramic coating) and possibly a quality chrome delete if it's not too expensive and if they can color-match pearl white.

Last edited: