TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 clearance question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by thgchris, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thgchris

thgchris Member

I currently own a 2015 Subaru WRX with 4.9 inches of ground clearance that I currently have to back into my driveway (there is a dip going into the driveway and then it's steep right after that) and the only way I can make it in without scraping is to back in.

I know the Model 3 has 5.5 inches of ground clearance is there any easy way to determine if the car will be able to clear my driveway dip going in front first?

2. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

What you really need are the approach and departure angles, but usually only off-road vehicles quote these.

[​IMG]

Doing a side by side, it looks like the M3 should have a larger departure angle than the WRX's departure angle for sure, but the M3's approach angle may be close or even larger than WRX's departure angle also. The WRX has a really long tail behind the rear wheel so its departure angle is not very large.

upload_2017-8-18_17-56-31.png

• Informative x 4
  3. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

Sounds like you maybe should just fix your driveway.

• Disagree x 4
  4. T34ME

T34ME Member

#4 T34ME, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    I can't fix my driveway ramp, it is a city mandated requirement to aid runoff and drainage to prevent local flooding.

5. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I have a similar issue...will be hoping our new local Tesla showroom will have a demo to bring out and try around when my configuration goes live.

6. thgchris

thgchris Member

Wow, great response. I guess finding out this departure angle will be something that may be possible when non-employee Model 3 owners start taking delivery.

I'll have to do some research on the WRX departure angle but yes looking at the side by side it looks like I'll be fine on the back side, but the front will be interesting.

Also I assume 19 inch vs 18 inch wheels will play a factor as well.

7. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

The wheel size should not matter, the larger wheel is designed to use with tires that have smaller sidewall, so the overall tire circumference should be the same between 18" and 19" wheels.

• Informative x 1
  8. F_T_K

F_T_K Member

I still hope that the adjustable air suspension will be available on the 3 by the time my turn to configure comes up.

• Like x 1