Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clearance question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2015 Subaru WRX with 4.9 inches of ground clearance that I currently have to back into my driveway (there is a dip going into the driveway and then it's steep right after that) and the only way I can make it in without scraping is to back in.

I know the Model 3 has 5.5 inches of ground clearance is there any easy way to determine if the car will be able to clear my driveway dip going in front first?

What you really need are the approach and departure angles, but usually only off-road vehicles quote these.

c9f4deb6554aa28250d3c1e154ac90.jpg

Doing a side by side, it looks like the M3 should have a larger departure angle than the WRX's departure angle for sure, but the M3's approach angle may be close or even larger than WRX's departure angle also. The WRX has a really long tail behind the rear wheel so its departure angle is not very large.

upload_2017-8-18_17-56-31.png

What you really need are the approach and departure angles, but usually only off-road vehicles quote these.

c9f4deb6554aa28250d3c1e154ac90.jpg

Doing a side by side, it looks like the M3 should have a larger departure angle than the WRX's departure angle for sure, but the M3's approach angle may be close or even larger than WRX's departure angle also. The WRX has a really long tail behind the rear wheel so its departure angle is not very large.

View attachment 242382

Wow, great response. I guess finding out this departure angle will be something that may be possible when non-employee Model 3 owners start taking delivery.

I'll have to do some research on the WRX departure angle but yes looking at the side by side it looks like I'll be fine on the back side, but the front will be interesting.

Also I assume 19 inch vs 18 inch wheels will play a factor as well.

I can't fix my driveway ramp, it is a city mandated requirement to aid runoff and drainage to prevent local flooding.

We're in a similar situation and our Model S has SAS so use that geofenced at our house (plus other stupidly high speed bumps in town and in shopping centers). I'm so torn about what I do when I get an invite for the LR production model or waiting it out for the AWD version with SAS.

We're in a similar situation and our Model S has SAS so use that geofenced at our house (plus other stupidly high speed bumps in town and in shopping centers). I'm so torn about what I do when I get an invite for the LR production model or waiting it out for the AWD version with SAS.
Well, here is what I am doing because I want SAS on my model 3. I made an online reservation on 3/31/16. I want that car ASAP which may be in about 3 months (estimator says Jan/Mar). I made a second reservation a couple of months ago. I expect to get that car maybe in late 2019. I expect that there will be many more options available at that time including SAS. I will either sell the first car or keep it as a second car, time will tell. This strategy gives me the most flexibility.

I currently own a 2015 Subaru WRX with 4.9 inches of ground clearance that I currently have to back into my driveway (there is a dip going into the driveway and then it's steep right after that) and the only way I can make it in without scraping is to back in.

I know the Model 3 has 5.5 inches of ground clearance is there any easy way to determine if the car will be able to clear my driveway dip going in front first?
it's not a big issue-you drive & leave the driveway cum sidewalk side ways but not straight.

It would have to be 2x12 at least 12 feet long. There are two problems with this solution:
1. a singular driveway ramp is shared by 5 homes and you can never get 5 home owners agree on anything.
2. the city has banned any kind of device in the gutter and will issue a citation.
Haha 2x4x12.

But I think you’ll be ok. There’s. A driveway at work where I hear everyone scrape when they go up it. But when i slow and be careful I don’t scrape.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like Air Suspension would do you well....unfortunately it won't start to be included on the Model 3 until next year....per Elon.

Random question, since it seems that air suspension is still months away but smart summon might be closer. Would the self drive package help people with steep driveways once smart summon is out? Could the Model 3 get in and out of the garage and to the street maneuvering to avoid scraping the bottom of the car? My sidewalk for instance requires approaching at least at a 45 angle. If you attack it head on, the front bumper will hit it before the tires.