Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clearance question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from a 15 WRX too (you won’t miss the WRX) and drive the 3 the same up steep driveways and entrances. No problems so far. Only thing I noticed so far was getting the car back from service it had bottomed out in the middle and scraped off some of the plastic.

So i have a considerable incline also. While I haven't had any clearance issues, I am getting a strange repetitive clicking sensation felt through the acceleration pedal right before I turn the steering wheel toward a more neutral position in order to ascend the driveway into the garage. Is this the suspension flipping put? Anyone else experience anything similar?

Aside from the aesthetics of scraping the bottom of the car, is there any real ranger from the casual scrape? I'm not talking about a huge crunch, but your typical driveway or speed bump scrape. There has to be sufficient structural protection to the battery pack, right?

I currently own a 2015 Subaru WRX with 4.9 inches of ground clearance that I currently have to back into my driveway (there is a dip going into the driveway and then it's steep right after that) and the only way I can make it in without scraping is to back in.

I know the Model 3 has 5.5 inches of ground clearance is there any easy way to determine if the car will be able to clear my driveway dip going in front first?

So a friend has a 2015 WRX and refused to even try to park in my driveway when he saw the dip/bump combo and my previous car (2012 Volvo S60 Polestar with front/side/rear skid/scuff plates that did make it a little lower) would scrape unless I cranked the wheel really hard to back out at an angle and drove really slowly.

Had the opportunity to take out a Model 3 for a few hours recently and it didn't come close to scraping even when pulling in front first at a normal speed (had my wife pull in the first time slowly so I could watch and make sure it wasn't going to hurt the car lol).

Doesn't guarantee anything with your driveway I know but I'd bet you'll be OK. Maybe try the local Tesla groups in your area? You could probably get someone who wouldn't mind popping over to check it out...

So a friend has a 2015 WRX and refused to even try to park in my driveway when he saw the dip/bump combo and my previous car (2012 Volvo S60 Polestar with front/side/rear skid/scuff plates that did make it a little lower) would scrape unless I cranked the wheel really hard to back out at an angle and drove really slowly.

Had the opportunity to take out a Model 3 for a few hours recently and it didn't come close to scraping even when pulling in front first at a normal speed (had my wife pull in the first time slowly so I could watch and make sure it wasn't going to hurt the car lol).

Doesn't guarantee anything with your driveway I know but I'd bet you'll be OK. Maybe try the local Tesla groups in your area? You could probably get someone who wouldn't mind popping over to check it out...

Thanks for the reply. Yah I may try and ask someone.

I am perfectly fine with backing the car in, I'm just worried about the front. I don't really want to have a situation where I need to go out sideways in the correct manner every time.

I just had the scraping on a friend's steep driveway, a driveway where I've gone in and out hundreds of times with other low cars...mainly BMW 3 series. I was shocked. I have the 18" aero wheels. I've had my M3 6 weeks. Talked to Tesla service and they had no answer; we don't have the adjustable suspension. Best suggestion was to enter and leave the driveway at a sideways angle. With this driveway, it's off a hilly narrow street where i'm not sure I can angle to get in. I'm upset.