TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Falcon3, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

Does anyone here a clicking sounds near the rear wheel area when accelerating or decelerating? It's not a constant clicking sound, but I do it a click when accelerating or decelerating. I heard it while driving with my windows down in a quiet neighborhood. I booked a service appointment to get it checked out, but was wondering if others had a similar experience. VIN: 21k

• Like x 2
  2. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I have the same sound from my left rear suspension, it's been there for about two months. If I'm speeding up and slowing down at parking lot speeds (MY parking lot speeds), it clicks every time the load on it changes from accel to regen or regen to accel. I'm taking it to my local service center tomorrow and we will see what they say. 014K vin.

• Like x 1
  3. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Early builds have a pin that out of spec in the rear brakes. Schedule an appointment and get it replaced.

• Informative x 2
  4. flynryan

flynryan Member

I also read that it could be a rear sway bar or sub-frame connector. Mine goes in tomorrow

5. CCIE

CCIE Member

Yup, noticed it now that the weather is warm and I have windows open. It's either bad CV joints, or the axle/hub interface needs to be lubed & re-torqued. More likely the latter, which is just annoying, so I haven't made an appt to bring it in yet.

• Like x 1
  6. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

Thanks for the info! Service centre is ordering parts apparently in case they need to replace something when they come out to have a look, but I'll keep you all posted.

• Like x 1
  7. Toke_Holledig

Toke_Holledig Member

8. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

I'm having the same problem! VIN 99xxx Aug 2018

I guess I should schedule with the service center.

9. darttater

darttater Member

Wow, I have the same problem. Soft clicking sound from rear drive when pressing and depressing the accelerator. Not a loud click, but can definitely hear it if I don't have music on. I'm very interested to see what you find out from service center. Vin is 116xxx Sep or Oct 2018.

10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I thought I noticed today that my click was becoming a double click, it seemed like I was hearing 2 clicks instead of one sometimes. My appointment got delayed, the local SC doesn't have my tires in yet, so maybe next week. I doubt it is in the brakes, as I get my clicks without using the brakes.

11. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

My click happens when I accelerate. Not when I'm breaking, but it's just like one click or so. Also can hear a click when slowing down, but it happens at certain speeds or so. Not constant.

12. timk225

timk225 Active Member

You do not break your car. You B-R-A-K-E it. At least most people do.

• Funny x 1
  13. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Well, technically - we are breaking our car every time we drive it. Things wear and tear :rolleyes::D

Totally break it if we crash eh o_O

14. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I had it too for a couple of days. I scheduled a service appointment then it just went away. Hasn't been back in months.

15. flynryan

flynryan Member

Had my appt today and tech drove my car and heard the noise. He took it back and said the passenger side rear shock mount was loose so they tightened it up and re-drove for another test ride and noise still there. Gave me a loaner S to be able to work on it more so Ill keep you in the loop and what they find. I did talk to them about what I read on the forum about rear sway bar and or sub-frame connector being a possible culprit.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. darttater

darttater Member

I took mine into service today and they replaced the sway bar on the axle. Problem solved for now. Took about 2 hours.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  17. flynryan

flynryan Member

Service center was not able to fix the noise and said it is a common problem on the model 3. Gave me my car back and now it seems to be more common than when I took it in

• Disagree x 1
  18. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I also have the same clicking noise. When I brought it in they said it was the brake pads moving within the caliper and that it was normal. I remain unconvinced. It doesn't really bother me and I have 3 years warranty left so I'll leave it alone for now.

19. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

How is it common for a car to make clicking sounds that wasn't present when the car was received. Makes no sense to me.

20. darttater

darttater Member

Here's what was done. Hope this is helpful. invoice for m3.PNG

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1