Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just rotated my tires and noticed the noise others are describing in this thread and couldn't figure it out. Google led me here! I'm tired of waiting on service centers or mobile techs, so if it's something as simple as a loose axle nut I was going to take it on myself before I called for help.

I picked up a 32mm socket from Harbor Freight ($5) and removed the axle nut with a breaker bar. It wasn't very difficult to get off, but it was tightened. There was no existing grease so I didn't add any, I just wiped it out with a towel. Since I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 180lb/ft, I torqued it with my breaker bar as tight as I could (just like the mobile service guy from earlier in the thread did). The noise was gone. Easy fix!

It seems strange to me that this is the fix for this...because the nuts are already apparently quite tight. Wonder why it makes noise? The end of the axle is splined and if it is pretty tight I would not expect much play. I guess it might pre-load the hub bearing a little, but not sure exactly how it all interacts, and whether that is even plausible. Anyone know?

Both of my fronts tap. I suspect a CV issue - it is hard to isolate the noise source but it doesn’t really sound like it is coming from the hub.

It seems strange to me that this is the fix for this...because the nuts are already apparently quite tight. Wonder why it makes noise? The end of the axle is splined and if it is pretty tight I would not expect much play. I guess it might pre-load the hub bearing a little, but not sure exactly how it all interacts, and whether that is even plausible. Anyone know?

Both of my fronts tap. I suspect a CV issue - it is hard to isolate the noise source but it doesn’t really sound like it is coming from the hub.

The nut uses some type of integrated lock washers that are attached to it (two washers with angled teeth that meld). I wonder if this has something to do with it. I'm going to keep an eye on it to see if the noise returns.

The click is back!!!:mad:

See my post in this topic, post #34. I had taken my 3 in for its service in early May at 26,286 miles and they said they retorqued everything in the rear suspension. That kept it quiet for 5000 miles, and last week I started to hear the CLICK again. It's not every time I accelerate and decelerate at parking lot speeds yet, but it will get to that point sooner or later. I am at 31,147 miles now.

Probably unrelated, but I have been hearing a clicking sound from the front left wheel at low speeds when making a right turn. I noticed this while exiting my work parking garage. I did a visual check and cannot see anything that might be loose or rubbing that would be causing the sound.

Hey cole, I came to this thread because I've been noticing a sound coming from the front left wheel area when making right turn at low speed. I wouldn't call it a click exactly but I can slightly feel it too. It doesn't happen every time and I can barely describe it! Thanks for your post. For now I'll see if it gets worse. If it comes back post tire rotation please update.

Sitting in Tesla Lawrence right now.

Service tech came in the car and we drove, maybe 5 feet in the parking lot and we heard the click. “Yup, axle click” he said. Turned around, drove inside the service centre and they all said “axle click?”, “yeah, axle click”.

Seems to be a well known issue. They said it should take about an hour so I am waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Thanks OP - Picked up my Model 3 on June 20th, 2019 and noticed a clicking from the back within days. As others have described, I hear it upon acceleration or release of the accelerator at low speeds. Thought it was a relay so this helps. Have an appointment with the service center today for other issues, so will mention it and see what they say. Love the drive but have had nothing but headaches since delivery.

clickcrop.png

For reference, here is the repair summary for a June 2018 RWD LR with the clicking sound at slow speeds. Repair completed Aug 2019.

Thanks OP - Picked up my Model 3 on June 20th, 2019 and noticed a clicking from the back within days. As others have described, I hear it upon acceleration or release of the accelerator at low speeds. Thought it was a relay so this helps. Have an appointment with the service center today for other issues, so will mention it and see what they say. Love the drive but have had nothing but headaches since delivery.
So, they checked it and greased it, as seems to be standard. Still clicks for me. They absolutely know about an axel click though, the guy told me sometimes they just forget to grease during production. Very reassuring. If anyone has alternative theories, I'd love to hear em.

Service center added moly grease and replaced the rear axle nuts, no more click, for now at least.

Went for a test drive after they fixed it to see if I could reproduce the clicks again - it's helpful to enable track mode for higher regen purposes which made the click during regen louder.
Have service guy sit in the back seat if the clicks aren't as loud and/or you can't turn on track mode.

I just checked service data from my Honda Accord and they recommend placing a small amount of oil on the back face of the washer (not the threads!) to overcome friction. If I hear the noise again I'll likely do this. They recommend 242 lb/ft of torque... toight like a tiger!

They fixed mine in about 45 minutes and (at least here at Tesla Lawrence, they were well aware of the issue and could not have been more pleasant or accommodating)- how long the fix will last is another question, but for now, I am thrilled that it is gone. Once heard, it was difficult to "unhear".

Reactions: navguy12
My Model 3 LR RWD was making somewhere between a click and a creak on acceleration/deceleration and bumps. It wasn't present all the time but it was pretty annoying when it was present. Seemed to be coming from the left rear of the vehicle. After a couple of mobile service appointments when the noise (of course) wasn't present, the mobile tech adjusted the left rear truck lid for me. Apparently there's a common issue where a part of the lid hinge can rub against the car when the trunk is closed. When we looked closely, you could see some paint transfer where it was rubbing. I haven't noticed the issue since, so I'm hopeful it will stay away once the weather gets cold again (I suspect that weather changes/expansion and contraction was perhaps contributing to the transient nature of my noise). Hopefully it doesn't come back, since I'm 750 miles from the nearest service center!

I don't think this sounds like the noise you're describing but I figured this information might be helpful for others who are trying to diagnose Model 3 noises in the future.

I may have mentioned this before so apologies for repeating but I have had the “suspension creak” and the “axle click” (at different times). At least for me, these were 2 very different and distinct sounds.

Both of them were (thankfully) heard on the short drive with the service rep and each time the issues were “fixed”.

Suspension creak was fixed several months ago and has not yet returned and the axle click was fixed on Wed and so far so good.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
"Found noise to be caused by normal wear on the spline shafts of rear axles. Proactively re torqued the rear axle nuts to ensure operating as expected"

Basically, I was told this sound is normal. Just don't know why if this is a known issue that there isn't a bulletin on it that describes exactly how to remedy. Seems like everyone is getting different solutions to no solutions. I actually kinda felt like (or least they acted like) they didn't know what I was talking about at first ----

I was also told (initially) today that the numerous bubbles forming on my dash were due to environmental conditions and not covered by warranty (Oct 18 build, 8k miles, garage kept 22 hours per day). So go figure.